• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network to Air New One Piece Episodes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Bum bum BUMMMMMMMMM.

If you're expecting a change in quality, then I'm willing to bet you'll be very disappointed.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets picked up on Fox, too.
sokpupet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 59. I know they cut out fillers and stuff, but i'm pretty sure that's episode 91 they're talking about. even rundown honda accords have all their parts used when sent to a chop shop. about the only reason i can stand to watch it on toonami is that it's one piece. that fact alone nearly outweighs the bad job 4kids has done with it.
DokoMadeMo
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, am extremely surprised that 4Kids is allowing this to happen; I mean, when I first heard that "One Piece" was going to premiere on TOONAMI, I was practically 100% sure that the newest episodes of "One Piece" would always have their U.S. broadcast premiere on 4KidsTV, and that TOONAMI would always be behind on the episodes of "One Piece" that they were airing on Saturday nights!! Shocked Wow, I wonder what this could mean! Surprised So, does anyone have any idea why 4Kids Entertainment is supposedly "giving up" their show [One Piece] to CartoonNetwork? Could it be because "One Piece" has performed a lot better on TOONAMI than it has on 4KidsTV? On that note, does it mean that 4Kids' original target audience of younger kids didn't show as big as an interest as 4Kids had predicted? Similarly, does this mean that 4Kids has realized that, in order to maximize profit, they should probably start focusing on an older demographic, like teenagers and older? Also, has anyone heard anything about "One Piece" returning to 4KidsTV, or will it be dropped all together?
It really does kind of make me wonder, based on the fact that "F-Zero: GP Legend" was apparently canceled, not to mention the mysterious disappearance of "Mew Mew Power", just when it had barely returned to 4KidsTV for maybe a little over a month.
Regardless, I really don't care whether 4KidsTV loses "One Piece," so long as it continues to air on Cartoon Network, because, as things are currently, this is the only way that my brothers and I can watch "One Piece"! Very Happy Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
ok so this is good or bad? will this be another 4kids hack job?.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Since One Piece is also airing on Miguzi, then you can assume that the age range 4K!ds aimed it at is watching it, but also older people are watching it.

As far as the episode numbers go, it may have originally been episode 91, but it is only episode 59 of the 4K!ds dub, so they give an accurate report.
B33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
This is probally because ratings are very low on 4kids TV... One Piece gets better ratings on Toonami...
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
It get's low ratings on EVERY channel and EVERY timeslot that it's thrown onto!!! One Piece and Bobobo will likely be canned by the end of summer (though I like Bobobo).
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Just because Toonami is airing new episodes of One Piece doesn't mean that 4kids doesn't have the rights to it still. Confused I wouldn't get my hopes up.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I would think that Cartoon Network would wise up and finally cancel this show. It has low ratings and all it does is fill up time slots every time they air it. I would have also thought that the advertisers would have pulled their funding for the friggin thing by now but thats aparently never going to happen. Just pump the DVDs and give it a rest
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Of course these will be the edited episodes. They were showing dubbed clips of episodes that haven't aired yet on 4KidsTV ads back in August-which means they've probably dubbed the entire second season of the english version already. And they're not going to stop making changes just because they're on CN, which has less strict broadcast standards. They didn't need to make most of the changes they make now-the majority of 4Kids' edits have nothing to do with broadcast standards. You think S&P care if a sign says "Navy" or not?

These episodes were dubbed months ago, so it's in 4Kids' best intrest to burn them off somewhere. And if they're proving to be a failure on their own network, they may as well air on someone else's network where they seem to be pulling down better numbers anyway. The real question will be if they bother to make any new episodes once this "season" of the dub concludes, or if they cut their losses and stop production on the dub. If the latter happens, THEN we can speculate about the possibility for uncut OP.
DokoMadeMo
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
Since One Piece is also airing on Miguzi, then you can assume that the age range 4K!ds aimed it at is watching it, but also older people are watching it.

You're right, that's a good point. I had forgotten that MIGUZI had started airing "One Piece" as well.

XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
As far as the episode numbers go, it may have originally been episode 91, but it is only episode 59 of the 4K!ds dub, so they give an accurate report.

Are you serious!! Surprised Shocked I had heard that some parts were cut out for the 4Kids dub, but I had absolutely no idea that entire episodes had been taken out!! I mean, this is ridiculous! Exclamation
I just can't believe how much I've actually been missing all this time! Crying or Very sad Now I really hope that "One Piece" will eventually get the uncut DVD release [in the U.S.] that it deserves!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dexo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Um...People seem to be forgetting that One Piece on Toonami had the highest ratings for the target age group in that time spot...only Naruto had higher on Toonami...

One Piece gets really really good ratings on Toonami... a 4.0+ If memory serves...They would be stupid to not try to get more episodes...

4kidstv...Not so much...
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't mean anything, other than the 4Kids TV airings got shitty ratings and the Toonami ones don't.

If there's ever going to be a positive change made to the dub somewhere down the line, I'd expect it during Skypia (150s IIRC), and maybe somewhere deep into Arabasta.

Quote:
I just can't believe how much I've actually been missing all this time! Crying or Very sad Now I really hope that "One Piece" will eventually get the uncut DVD release [in the U.S.] that it deserves!! Very Happy

Good news for you... Viz persuaded 4Kids to release an uncut version in a Naruto like fashion (i.e. 13 episode box sets every couple of months), and seeing as how it's been revealed that the uncuts being canceled was mainly over a money dispute, I expect to see uncuts very soon.

Last edited by Yashouzoid on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dexo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
If that was to me...I Never insinuated that the dub would get better...I was just responding to the uninformed people that think that OP on Toonami got bad ratings...
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Dexo wrote:
If that was to me...I Never insinuated that the dub would get better...I was just responding to the uninformed people that think that OP on Toonami got bad ratings...

That was in response to someone earlier (something like "What could this mean?"), and me going on a tangent with the quality thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3