• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network to Air New One Piece Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

Good news for you... Viz persuaded 4Kids to release an uncut version in a Naruto like fashion (i.e. 13 episode box sets every couple of months), and seeing as how it's been revealed that the uncuts being canceled was mainly over a money dispute, I expect to see uncuts very soon.

I seriously hope thats true Yashouzoid!

Or am I just getting my hopes too high?

...how exactly would you rate the validity your information and in turn, definite uncut One Piece hitting the North American market, on a scale of say...0-100%

Not saying this as an insult or anything, I just want to be sure of the possibility.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Good news for you... Viz persuaded 4Kids to release an uncut version in a Naruto like fashion (i.e. 13 episode box sets every couple of months), and seeing as how it's been revealed that the uncuts being canceled was mainly over a money dispute, I expect to see uncuts very soon.

Huh? When did this happen? At last count, the DVD rights were transferred to Viz, and Viz said they weren't doing uncut DVDs.

Uncut One Piece DVDs were announced...for AUSTRALIA, if that's what you're thinking of.
Senshi Mizaka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
It get's low ratings on EVERY channel and EVERY timeslot that it's thrown onto!!! One Piece and Bobobo will likely be canned by the end of summer (though I like Bobobo).

And do you have any proof of this?

One Piece is the second highest rated show on Toonami, following Naruto. I was kind of wondering when the dub was returning, no matter how bad it is. Now that I think about it, Drum Island was one of the better dubbed arcs. Probably because it focused on Chopper.

I think another reason they moved it to Toonami is because of Alabasta. That arc doesn't have stuff that you'd normally find in a Saturday morning cartoon. But, 4Kids dubbed most of those episodes already, so we'll be seeing the typical edits.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
DokoMadeMo wrote:
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
As far as the episode numbers go, it may have originally been episode 91, but it is only episode 59 of the 4K!ds dub, so they give an accurate report.

Are you serious!! Surprised Shocked I had heard that some parts were cut out for the 4Kids dub, but I had absolutely no idea that entire episodes had been taken out!! I mean, this is ridiculous! Exclamation

Okay, let me ask one of you "serious" One Piece fans a question, and while there is a point to be made, this is an honest question: out of those first 90 episodes, how many were filler?
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Okay, let me ask one of you "serious" One Piece fans a question, and while there is a point to be made, this is an honest question: out of those first 90 episodes, how many were filler?

There was only really one filler arc, and that was Apis (episodes 54-60). However the Little Garden arc, which is NOT filler, was also cut (episodes 70-77). Still there where many, many more episodes that were cut aside from those. On top of that, there have been a crap-load of episodes have been merged together. ("Fantastic Voyage" anyone?).

Although, if you want a more detailed explination of the cut episodes, as well as all the edits that are present within the current dub, I recommend you take a look at this site.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Unless you're being an anal dickwad and including every second of material that wasn't present in the manga, from the episodes 4Kids cut (32), 8 of them were entirely filler. Bump that up to about 9 or 10 for the entire run of 90 episodes.

That's what I thought.

SaveOnePiece wrote:
It get's low ratings on EVERY channel and EVERY timeslot that it's thrown onto!!! One Piece and Bobobo will likely be canned by the end of summer (though I like Bobobo).

Actually it gets high ratings on Toonami.

TakinawaTonfa wrote:
...how exactly would you rate the validity your information and in turn, definite uncut One Piece hitting the North American market, on a scale of say...0-100%

I'm very positive. I'd say 80% or higher that we'll get at least one uncut release, 60% that we'll see it to the end.

Also, I should re-phrase that: Viz didn't actually fully persuade them, but gave them food for thought, I suppose. Given the suggestion was to release it in Naruto styled box sets, I'd assume they're waiting to see how Naruto turns out to see if sets would work over single releases.

MetatronM wrote:
Huh? When did this happen? At last count, the DVD rights were transferred to Viz, and Viz said they weren't doing uncut DVDs.

That's because they were still in the process of convincing 4Kids to release them, I would imagine. A friend of mine conversed e-mails with a Viz employee who said that Viz was persuading them to do a Naruto styled uncut release, and that currently they're "considering it".

Also, just because we won't get an uncut release now doesn't mean we won't ever. FUNimation had practically begged for an uncut release of Yu-Gi-Oh! when they first acquired the distribution rights and were denied it, but obviously it got out in the end (pulled because of 4Kids' greediness (not directly related to sales for the record) but they got out and that's what counts).
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
That's because they were still in the process of convincing 4Kids to release them, I would imagine. A friend of mine conversed e-mails with a Viz employee who said that Viz was persuading them to do a Naruto styled uncut release, and that currently they're "considering it".

Hopefully 4Kids will do more than just "consider" it. I wonder if 4Kids is stunned that Viz managed to air a relatively lightly edited version of "Naruto" on TV without manking any music changes, time cuts, episode splicing or insertion of bad jokes and end up beating 4Kids' mangled version of "One Piece"? That's what I'm hoping for here: that Viz's trump card is that they've proven a series doesn't have to be butchered to be successful.

Of course, the real test will come when the DVDs are released. If the "Naruto" uncut box sets sell well, hopefully "One Piece" will get a similar treatment.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
DokoMadeMo wrote:
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
As far as the episode numbers go, it may have originally been episode 91, but it is only episode 59 of the 4K!ds dub, so they give an accurate report.

Are you serious!! Surprised Shocked I had heard that some parts were cut out for the 4Kids dub, but I had absolutely no idea that entire episodes had been taken out!! I mean, this is ridiculous! Exclamation

Eight.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this isn't a case of just removing stuff that doesn't matter. This is a case of glossing over or completly removing important plotlines, even ones that turn out to be important later on. It's kind of like if George Lucas had decided the world didn't really need to see Empire Strikes Back and so he skipped right from Star Wars to Return of the Jedi. "Yeah, I decided you guys didn't have the attention span for three movies, hope you don't mind. Oh, by the way, Darth is Luke's dad. We probably should have mentioned that somewhere. Also, you might be wondering why Han is a statue now. Just run with it, okay?"
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

Unless you're being an anal dickwad and including every second of material that wasn't present in the manga, from the episodes 4Kids cut (32), 8 of them were entirely filler. Bump that up to about 9 or 10 for the entire run of 90 episodes.

Okay. I asked because while it's a shame that we won't be seeing every episode, do we really need to see every episode? There's about 250 and it's still going. Considering how little a shelf life children's tv has, I'm not willing to watch 5 years worth of anything (unless it's 24 because of its nature).
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Yashouzoid wrote:

Hopefully 4Kids will do more than just "consider" it. I wonder if 4Kids is stunned that Viz managed to air a relatively lightly edited version of "Naruto" on TV without manking any music changes, time cuts, episode splicing or insertion of bad jokes and end up beating 4Kids' mangled version of "One Piece"? That's what I'm hoping for here: that Viz's trump card is that they've proven a series doesn't have to be butchered to be successful.

Of course, the real test will come when the DVDs are released. If the "Naruto" uncut box sets sell well, hopefully "One Piece" will get a similar treatment.

Considering that Naruto is the highest rated show on Toonami, I would'nt be too surprised if even the edited DVDs sell pretty good. Although I know that I intend to get a box set when it comes out this summer.

And hopefully, if the uncut box sets sell well enough Viz's style of the Naruto release may also lead to the uncut release of other Shonen Jump titles that 4kids has, Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh!

On a side note; the editied DVD releases for One Piece and Naruto don't seem to be too far apart from each other. I know that OP was scheduled for a February 28 release and Naruto in early March.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
Oddly enough... I knew that was going to happen... you see I did the math: next weeks episode is the last episode 4kidstv show, 4kidstv havn't shown One Piece in months, CN has better ratings than 4kidstv all the this =... 10?... wiat that's not it... oh here it is, new episodes airing on CN and with possible less edits when they get to the point that it's no longger dubbed for 4kids TV. I hoe the last part of my theory is right...
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Okay. I asked because while it's a shame that we won't be seeing every episode, do we really need to see every episode? There's about 250 and it's still going. Considering how little a shelf life children's tv has, I'm not willing to watch 5 years worth of anything (unless it's 24 because of its nature).

So just because you're not willing to watch all the episodes, none of us should want to, either? Quite an ego you've got there. Do they make you check that thing at the airport?

One Piece is actually really good about making each episode (not counting filler) contribute in some way to advancing the current story arc, and likewise, the story arcs contribute to advancing the main plotlines. So each episode is usually at least a little important, and oftentimes a lot. I guess you don't HAVE to watch them all, but that kind of ruins the fun of following the story from week to week. I mean, techinically you could just go to tv.com every week, read the episode summaries for 24 and get the whole story without ever watching the show again, but what fun would that be?

On the other hand, at least you wouldn't have to listen to that stupid ticking clock sound effect.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Um, yeah, you actually kind of do.

As Wyvern said, each episode contributes to its current story arc and each story arc contributes to the main storyline. I wouldn't have had a problem with the cutting if it didn't extend beyond filler and was done tastefully and professionally, but it wasn't. It's painfully obvious that you don't really know enough about One Piece to properly judge what is and isn't important to the storyline, so kindly refrain from speaking your opinion on the matter.

Furthermore, 4Kids could have easily accomplished their goal of speeding to Tony Tony Chopper had they just removed the filler material (and maybe the adaptations of the title stories, because you'd have to read the manga to really get those anyway), because even just the filler arcs add up to 6 more episodes than what 4Kids actually removed themselves in their infinite wisdom.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Naruto might loose it's ratings if they screw up Rock Lee's voice when he makes his appearence this Saturday.

"By Dame is Wock Wee" is what Narutards fear he'll sound like. Shocked
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Naruto might loose it's ratings if they screw up Rock Lee's voice when he makes his appearence this Saturday.

Doubt it... and didn't he already appear? o_o;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3