• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Song on American Idol

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
Not to sound racist in any way, but somehow I wasn't expecting a big African American male to be the one singing the Jigglypuff song. Don't hurt me.

Maybe he's the voice actor for Jigglypuff. Either that or he skipped puberty. Or both.

Or maybe he's just singing in falsetto and controlling the tone of his voice. It's not unusual for guys to be able to sing that high; just ask any guy to "talk like a girl" and they'll shift right into falsetto, although without any singing pitches.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe he just wanted 15 seconds of fame like half the other talentless losers that show up to audition. (The other half think they have talent but really don't.)

Where's Chico Alexander (game show website head and fellow otaku) when you need him?
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Mokkori wrote:

I know I'm gonna get ridiculed for this but the guy who sang this wasn't half bad. If he was performing at some anime cons he would get cheers.

The TV is not ready for otakus yet... apparently otakus aren't ready for otakus on TV either.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Nobody really considers Pokemon anime.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
You wanna see it; yet you don't wanna see it. But when you do you both laugh your ass off and regret watching it.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:

I've never seen a Pokemon episode in Japanese. Is the Jigglypuff song the same in Japanese, except using Purin in place of Jigglypuff?

Pretty much the same. You can hear it if you go to the options and change the audio to Japanese on SSB Melee and then play as Purin.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:

Me and a few dozen of my friends beg to disagree.
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I remember when the guy sang "Heart of Darkness" because I was listening to that soundtrack earlier that day when I saw it. Needless to say, anyone who sings a japanese song on a show called "American Idol" is just doing it for those all important "15 minutes", or seconds.

""Fly me to the Moon" was original off Eva." What next, Limp Bizket wrote "Behind Blue Eyes"? I swear, kids these days..... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tonboko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that the first anime song to hit Idol was not done as a serious attempt... least I hope that was not a serious attempt Shocked
But still, very funny. I like to see unashamed fandom. Very Happy
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:

Except for people that don't still retain their irrational bias against children's adventure anime. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Are you one of those middle schoolers who was ashamed to like Pokemon as a kid, thus you do your best to bash it in the hope that, as an anime fan, you won't be associated with a "kids' show?" Because those really are the only people who "don't consider Pokemon anime."

Anyways.

I thought it was interesting that the first people to try to otaku-ize American Idol were from France and Mexico (?)... I suppose it makes sense, as French otaku (and Germans!) are like... super-gaijin-anime-otaku...
bluechibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Of course it was an anime and I loved Pokemon and Jigglypuff Smile it was so cute everytime it got annoyed when people fell asleep.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
RaccoonGoon wrote:
That guy was hilarious...

Does anybody think that it might be possible to advance in American Idol with an anime song? I doubt that any song in Japanese would appeal to the judges. This thing with Jigglypuff's Song had to be a joke... How deluded do you have to be to attempt that in earnest?

if you don't think you are going to advance with a normal song, you have to try sometime crazy and hope you get other offer from outside of American Idol. you have nothing to lose anyway. Like william hung. He was doing better than all the winners of American Idol.

see now we are talking about him and not other contestants.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
drgonzo369 wrote:
"Fly me to the Moon" was original off Eva." What next, Limp Bizket wrote "Behind Blue Eyes"? I swear, kids these days..... Laughing

I guess no one has heard of Eva Cassidy.
cherry_blossom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Quote:

Are you one of those middle schoolers who was ashamed to like Pokemon as a kid, thus you do your best to bash it in the hope that, as an anime fan, you won't be associated with a "kids' show?" Because those really are the only people who "don't consider Pokemon anime."

Anyways.

I thought it was interesting that the first people to try to otaku-ize American Idol were from France and Mexico (?)... I suppose it makes sense, as French otaku (and Germans!) are like... super-gaijin-anime-otaku...

It says the young man is from Spain Very Happy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5