• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - East of Eden

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Maybe time stands still from the enemy's POV during the transformation sequence?

Nah, the enemy just likes to watch the magical girls go naked when they transform. You know you would, don't lie! Laughing
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Pre-order the next Eden of the East movie? I'd love to, but it doesn't even have a release date yet. I've had King of Eden for weeks, but I'm not watching it until the second one is out, because I hear it has a very annoying ending if you don't watch both of them.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Man, I gotta show my shelves soon, I keep wondering what people will think of the shelf of a 20 year anime watcher who has probably spent less in that time than a teen does in two years.

That you'll have a comfortable retirement, or depending on when you started collecting anime, "wow, that's a whole lot of cheap rerelease sets in a small space"? I am 22 and have a huge DVD collection that cost me money that probably could have paid university tuition fees prior to the recent increase (there's no way I could ever cope with the amount of coursework required at university level so I'm not particularly bothered by that), and I mean to send in my shelves one of these days, I got my dad to photograph them but I've got more stuff since then so I need new photographs before I send them in.
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Pre-order the next Eden of the East movie? I'd love to, but it doesn't even have a release date yet. I've had King of Eden for weeks, but I'm not watching it until the second one is out, because I hear it has a very annoying ending if you don't watch both of them.

It may not have an official release date yet, but at the Funimation industry panel at Anime Boston 2011, the speaker said Paradise Lost was supposed to be coming out in August.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that Eden was very well animated, the series itself (TV and Movies) was/were incredibly overrated and overhyped by just about everyone, to say nothing about the go-nowhere writing (which starts strong only to fizzle later on when it can't deliver on what it boasts in the beginning) or the flat characters.

I have no problems with people liking the show, but for me, my journey ended with a crashing halt in ep. 1 (even though I've seen the whole series) whenspoiler[ our "hero" decided to waltz up to the White House naked, carrying a gun and a cell phone, while our heroine tried to throw something into the White House fountain. In RL our foreign "Hero" would have been ventilated by WH snippers or tossed into the deepest, darkest hole in DC to be interrogated for days/weeks by Homeland Security or the Secret Service. And she'd have been arrested as well--WH security is omnipresent and OTT. And having lived in that area of the US I can tell you the DC Metro police don't take kindly to pervs waiving their junk at officers (especially female cops)--that gets you a tazer, followed by a curb stomping, before they haul your ass to jail. They, the police, certainly don't blush and let you go on your way.]

I've got no problems with suspending my disbelief to enjoy Sci-Fi, but stupidity and incredulity are another matter entirely.

And then there's Juiz. Personally, I LOVE Juiz. They could have made the show all about her, and I'd have been happier (and more entertained--I could listen to Stephanie Young read the phonebook, she's so dreamy). But... spoiler[If "she's" so damned powerful and capable why didn't Daddy Warbucks just put the sum total of his considerable wealth and power at Juiz's command and task her with "fixing Japan." From what I've seen in the show, Juiz can make anything happen (even the vaguest or grandest of requests), so fixing the nation of Japan should be a cake walk.]

I could go on, and on...

For me, Eden is a very pretty to look at rental. At best.

enurtsol wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Maybe time stands still from the enemy's POV during the transformation sequence?

Nah, the enemy just likes to watch the magical girls go naked when they transform. You know you would, don't lie! Laughing

Guilty.

And -on a separate topic- weren't they called Robobeasts in Voltron?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

And then there's Juiz. Personally, I LOVE Juiz. They could have made the show all about her, and I'd have been happier (and more entertained--I could listen to Stephanie Young read the phonebook, she's so dreamy). But... spoiler[If "she's" so damned powerful and capable why didn't Daddy Warbucks just put the sum total of his considerable wealth and power at Juiz's command and task her with "fixing Japan." From what I've seen in the show, Juiz can make anything happen (even the vaguest or grandest of requests), so fixing the nation of Japan should be a cake walk.]

I don't think Juiz has the capability of carrying out an ambiguous order like that, especially since there are so many human variables. She can only execute tangible commands. I think the only way Juiz would be able to execute a "save Japan" order would be if spoiler[she was armed with enough algorithms a la the psychohistorians in Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, say, who are able to mathematically predict how a group of people would react to an outside stimulus. They've shown that she can predict human reactions out to 6+ months or so, but I think something as big as fixing an entire country is simply too big. ]

Plus, I assume it's more fun for the organizer to watch people play his game, than just solve everything with a handwave.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I've gotten up through season eight of Dragon Ball Z. Unfortunately, getting the DBZ box sets through my local library system has been rather slow going, so it's probably going to be a few months before I can finally season Season Nine and see this classic line. Smile

sainta wrote:
If you think that's funny, then you didn't see the end of the Boo arc in which Vegeta says something like "Come on! Do it! Throw that thing" and Goku replies "Vegeta, forgive me! I firing the bomb!" Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
And -on a separate topic- weren't they called Robobeasts in Voltron?

Nope, they were called Robeasts.

Which brings up some of the designs of the robeasts. My husband likes to crack jokes about the nipple cannons that's included on the desgins of many of the robeasts... yes, more tastless jokes when we're watching anime together...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

I don't think Juiz has the capability of carrying out an ambiguous order like that, especially since there are so many human variables. She can only execute tangible commands. I think the only way Juiz would be able to execute a "save Japan" order would be if spoiler[she was armed with enough algorithms a la the psychohistorians in Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, say, who are able to mathematically predict how a group of people would react to an outside stimulus. They've shown that she can predict human reactions out to 6+ months or so, but I think something as big as fixing an entire country is simply too big. ]

Plus, I assume it's more fun for the organizer to watch people play his game, than just solve everything with a handwave.

It's true, Juiz is very flawed. Just take the conclusion she makes when Akira asks to be made "King of Japan." Her interpretation is not abstract at all- she comes up with the closest approximation and follows through with the pragmatic details to fulfill it. The key is "How" and "she" needs the Selacao's vision. They have the ideas and she has the means.

I also think that it's purposeful that her solution to the "King" request is really quite bad. She was given a rather abstract order and anyone who knows anything knows that it's not actually a very good solution and not one that means anything.

I'll wait to talk about my views of the resolution of the final movie though (or you can look up what I say in the talkback). The final movie and the series as a whole are not being reviewed here, just one movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong is back?! Is she returning regularly?

What about Erin?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

What about Erin?

Erin's just taking a break for this week.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

What about Erin?

Nope, just this week. Erin took the week off, but she'll be back next week.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So why doesn't the other guy just attack at that point? If my opponent is going to be off guard for 20 seconds, that is the perfect time to step in and punch that foolio in the face.

Maybe it is because the only ones who try are too busy winking at their parody nature, but I cannot recall any exploitations of this trope actually been done in a satisfying manner.
Quote:
but it distills the series down to what people like the most—endless fighting.

Personally, I would love for this part to get chopped down too. Original series (CN): Namek took a month for those last 5 minutes to pass. Kai: almost as long (not counting haitus) for 2 minutes to pass. *shudder* There are so many filler sections I would MUCH rather see than those horribly long fight scenes.
Quote:
Hey, splurging on figures is a time-honored tradition.

I thought that was the only way figurine collectors rolled?
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Yay Bamboo!

I have yet to see both movies. The anime was interesting and fun not the greatest thing that everyone was mentioning it to be. But I think I will try and watch the movies.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote
Wow, Bamboo, you've got me really excited for King of Eden! I wish Madman were releasing it as a Bluray-DVD combo like Funimation though... I think I'll go for the Bluray since it's only about $5 more...but DVD would be handy to lend (force on =P) people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3