• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Sword Art Online, Accel World Light Novels, More Madoka Magica Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Sure, I would love to have Baccano and Durarara localized, but seeing the excuse Seven Seas offered for why they are not viable (their length), and then seeing the length of these series (in the teens, and ongoing)

Implying Seven Seas is the one licensing this and is somehow being hypocritical. A barrier for one company may not be a barrier for another.

TsunaReborn! wrote:
The representative for Seven Seas in the first post stated they are not after any series over 10 volumes long. So there is nothing to say this couldn't work for Yen Press.

True enough, but it has become a common excuse in this print licensing industry. They say, "Your series suggestion is too long for us", and then, a few months later, they license some other title the same length and on-going. Rolling Eyes

It is one thing to support what you like, but another thing to be manipulated into buying what you don't in the hope for something you want.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Sweet The Different Story and SAO light novels but still wanting some one to pick up Chrome Shelled Regios novels as well
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
OMG THEY GOT THE S.A.O NOVELS AND MANGA!
Wildcat17

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
More Madoka is always welcome. And more light novels are too. Now we need Madoka's light novel.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Sasukeuzi wrote:
Light novels are a very poor form of media in North America. Does anyone feel like that this may do more harm than good for Yen Press?

Why would it cause any more harm compared to any of the previous light novels they are releasing? Book Girl, Spice and Wolf etc. Yen Press have been releasing light novels for years. Although I would agree that the format is a fairly poor form of media. Serialised novels/fiction dropped out of fashion like half a century ago in mainstream media. Although they do seem to be making some sort of comeback with the Kindle platform.
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Sasukeuzi wrote:
Light novels are a very poor form of media in North America. Does anyone feel like that this may do more harm than good for Yen Press?

Why would it cause any more harm compared to any of the previous light novels they are releasing? Book Girl, Spice and Wolf etc. Yen Press have been releasing light novels for years. Although I would agree that the format is a fairly poor form of media. Serialised novels/fiction dropped out of fashion like half a century ago in mainstream media. Although they do seem to be making some sort of comeback with the Kindle platform.

It costs money to license popular series like those. That's one of the reasons why Vertical couldn't even get the Durarara light novel series.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes, except as I say, this is nothing new. It costs money to license anything. And Yen Press have been spending that money and releasing light novels for years. So obviously they are better at budgeting and playing the market than the other companies are. Or they have simply been pissing their money down the drain without realising it. Take your pick. Very Happy

And Vertical is not really a good pick for comparison. They simply don't release light novels. Only thing I can see that they really tried with was Guin Saga. That bombed. But then again it wasn't exactly the best choice nor time to start with that title. They are obviously going to complain about novels costing a lot when they invested a fair bit in a single project that went horribly. Doesn't necessarily make the statement correct for all companies. (In all honesty that single licence would make me question their judgement. An incomplete 100+ volume series, with no possibility of completion. Everything points to that being a absolutely horrible choice, yet they still made it. What does that say about the planning at the company?)

My regret with light novels were the two Moribito ones released by Scholastic. Pity they didn't catch on they were two excellent and well done releases. My not regret was Twelve Kingdoms, Tokyopop did such a poor job it was a pity but they had to die. Rolling Eyes

Companies are obviously wary of light novels, Yen Press has had success in the area, unlike most. So I would say they probably have a fairly good idea of what they are doing.
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
What ever else Yen Press does doesn't matter to me as long as they finish Spice and Wolf.
Slicer22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I wish they would license the To aru majutsu no index novels but i know that is a very slim chance considering how many novels there are.

Though it is nice to see more light novels getting licensed and i might pick up both. As long as they finish Spice and Wolf i am happy.

I wish Viz Media would translate the rest of the Shana novels i have the first 2 that are rather lonely without the rest of the series not to mention the first 2 novels were quite a bit better than their anime adaptation counterparts.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
The Different Story is by far the best Madoka Manga out there so that is great, I am praying that YP also gets the anthology manga though, I love that one, it's hilarious.

I am not personally very fond of SAO or AW but I love that their popularity might open more Light Novel doors
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Any time any light novel is licensed, it makes me ecstatic. I hope they get to Gun Gale Online novels. I haven't read them, because I hate fan translations or reading on the computer, but from what I've heard they sound cool and Shinon has a cool design ( I have a screen cleaner with art of her on it). Accel World, I never finished that series either, but what I saw was interesting. I *might* preorder both of these, but we'll have to see
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
S.A.O. (both manga and light novel) are a must for me to get. I'm bit wary of Accel World. Can't say I'm interested in Madoka Magica series. :/
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Yes, except as I say, this is nothing new. It costs money to license anything. And Yen Press have been spending that money and releasing light novels for years. So obviously they are better at budgeting and playing the market than the other companies are. Or they have simply been pissing their money down the drain without realising it. Take your pick. Very Happy

You're talking about two different things here -- licensing and releasing. Sure, they've been releasing LNs for the past several years, but all those books are in the same four series they licensed back then. The only prose work they've acquired since then was Another (which isn't an LN) and you'll note they released that as a digital exclusive because they didn't think it'd earn back printing costs.

The fact that they're now going after SAO and AW shows that they think there's money in the LN market, but at the same time their original four series are all near completion and they've only announced two replacements based upon hit anime, which suggests they're being careful in picking the replacements.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Well this made my day much better! I'm looking forward to both of these, and I hope sales of Accel World are good so they don't have to drop it. And since it's human nature to be greedy, while getting these are good, I can't help but hold out hope that perhaps the Monogatari novels have a shot at being licensed by Yen Press.
kotelocl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I know nobody gives a DAMN about Accel World, and I also know that it's most likely being dragged along with sao for some obscure reason, like, they only gave sao if they also bought AW... but I don't care, I'm happy for Accel World now.

I feel fast right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isnNh9PUNkQ

Second season never... Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4