• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are everyones opinion's on Dub changes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RezSav

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Half way threw a show. I remember watching R.O.D the OVA on AS (like that, eh?) and falling in love with it, great action, good animation, nice characters. So when I heard that R.O.D the TV was coming to G4 I got excited; it wasn't until I heard the Jokers voice that I got a little discouraged, not only that but Yumiko all of sudden hailed from the east end of London!

I can live with the changes if they arn't noticeable, but when its like this, I just lose interest in the series.... also the Joker turning evil was a bad move for the show. What are your thoughts?
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Duke, I couldn't imagine anyone enjoying changes like those. You said it yourself you hate it, all anime fans hate it. To add, have you heard about the changes that they're making to the Live-Action EVA movie? Making all the characters nice and Americanized (God I hate corporations...). I personally hate the changes because of the obvious bias against Japan and whatever Oriental that may exist. I mean the east of London? Come on! Why is it so hard to keep something in its original format and to stop changing things around to suit a non Japanese speaking audience?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Sure, sometimes a series is changed a little too much in a dub, but the changes you are referring to are relatively minor doesn't change the essence of the story and/or characters. There are far more many series than have been changed to such a ridiculous extent that make then nearly unwatchable. Most notably? Most dubs from 4kids, such as the buthered One Piece.

Seriously though, chill out - if you don't like the dub, there is always the Japanese version with subtitles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, Read or Die, and ROD the TV are distributed here in the states by two completely different companies who each use completely different dubbing studios. (The OVA is put by Manga and the Television series by Geneon) I didn't find it at all surprising that the casts were different. Also ROD the TV happens to have one of the best English dubs out there. I enjoyed and own both the OVA and the TV series, personally.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Just to be clear, are you talking about the differences between the Japanese dub and the English dub of a show, or are you talking about differences between two English dubs?

The former doesn't bother me that much, as Japanese and English are different languages with different connotations for different types of voices, like who an old man should sound.

The latter bothers me a bit more, though. It's weird hearing a different voice for a character you love. This applies to Japanese/English changes as well, but it's just plain annoying when it's the same language. Ah well, sometimes it can't be avoided, like when Company A has the OAV, and Company B has the TV series. Odds are there will be different voices.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Mad What always irritates me is when the voice actors for major characters change in the middle of the series. It doesn't bother me too much with Japanese voice actors since I'm not that good on telling differences in other languages but I CERTAINLY can tell the difference when they're American! Of course, if there are different seasons or OVAs owned by seperate companies or produced year(s) apart, there isn't much that can be done.
jousha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I get annoyed by some obvious changes---and even the not-so-obvious ones. Though it doesn't annoy me that much.

But I also get bothered by the stuff they keep. Take Full Metal Alchemist: It doesn't bother me when Al calls Edward "brother" all the time in Japanese, but in English it doesn't fit at all. All they needed to do was replace "brother" with "Ed." Things like that are when they need to steer from direct translations.
Bosque

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I also think every fan hates when companies change things on the anime, and more when latin companies dub series from english edited-versions, considering that USA laws are different from the ones in latin countries.

I've heard that, in english, Shun from Saint Seiya is woman... ¿why can't a man wear a pink armor? they just promote stupid ideas about colors-for-girls-and-colors-for-boys-so-the-girls-must-sweep-and-the-men-not.
It's annoying but you don't have to blame dubbers, they just dub, the guilty ones are the companies which censores anime. Well, the most annoying thing is when spanish or latin companies dub things from english and not from japanese, they're that lazy and the anime come edited from US Mad
Anyway, dubbing companies or actors have nothing to do with censorship and that stuff, they just do their work Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
jousha wrote:
Overall, I get annoyed by some obvious changes---and even the not-so-obvious ones. Though it doesn't annoy me that much.

But I also get bothered by the stuff they keep. Take Full Metal Alchemist: It doesn't bother me when Al calls Edward "brother" all the time in Japanese, but in English it doesn't fit at all. All they needed to do was replace "brother" with "Ed." Things like that are when they need to steer from direct translations.

Sure, (modern) English doesn't have siblings adressing each other by titles, but can you imagine the fan furor if Funimation had decided to remove the "brother" completely? Sure, sometimes they need to steer away from that stuff, like when people call unrelated older men or women "oniisan" or "oneesan," but it seems more or less acceptable in FMA. I'll agree that it does sound a bit strange in English.

As for the ROD series, yes, it has everything to do with 2 different companies dubbing the different parts. And as for Joker, I don't think he was really "evil"; he was spoiler[living for an ideal, the ideal that Mr. Gentleman, his boss and charismatic leader, had proposed for the world. In some ways, his motivations were good, though he had to go about things in evil ways.]
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
More than anything I'm annoyed with people who incessantly whine about it, especially since DVD's give you the option to completely disregard the english adaptation if you hate it so much. I'm not one of those that stands on the pedestal and believes in some form of anime and japanese superiority that must be maintained and I also respect my own culture and the cultures represented in these shows to understand some of the changes and why they are made, not just for the purists who'll hate the dub anyways, but domestic fans who will relate better to a show with more familiar elements.

It is especially perplexing that people don't seem to comprehend why an American produced movie would have changes made to it. The reason is obvious, because anime is still a very small and niche market and a movie with any decent production value is not going to survive by catering to only a small group of rabid purists. It needs to be done in a fashion that it's going to attract a large enough audience. It also perplexes me how people whine about the "americanization" when anime and japanese productions do the same thing when they produce stories based on international works and they are modified for their audience. I know, people love to see domestic industries as the devil and anime as an angel but unfortunately when it comes down to it the industries aren't so dissimilar but the perspectives are different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:35 am Reply with quote
i personally like subs more than dubs 99.9999% of the time...most english dubs suck so incredibly bad....
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:18 am Reply with quote
Changes to VAs in the middle of a series is a slight annoyance to me, and by that I mean it's weird to listen to a different voice. But this doesn't last very long, as long as the new voice fits the character.

What should be taken into consideration are circumstances beyond their control that forced them to make the change.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:21 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Changes to VAs in the middle of a series is a slight annoyance to me, and by that I mean it's weird to listen to a different voice. But this doesn't last very long, as long as the new voice fits the character.

What should be taken into consideration are circumstances beyond their control that forced them to make the change.

but you have to know sometimes they do it for reasons within their control, that also suck...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
i personally like subs more than dubs 99.9999% of the time...most english dubs suck so incredibly bad....

I thought he was acting wierd. It took me a bit to realize that you weren't cyrax777. You guys have the same avatar. Maybe you should change yours.

Not all or even most dubs suck IMO. If you actually take the time to listen to them I'd say most of them aren't half bad. Fullmetal Alchemist's dub is probably one of the best dubs I've heard. If you don't ever watch them I recommend giving them a chance. I used to hate them all also. I still prefer subs now but have acknowledged that not all dubs suck and in fact many are actually quite good and sometimes even better than the original.

As for changing things in dubs, sometimes I can see it like with some of the obscure Japanese references in Excel Saga. Other things like what 4kids does to their anime I don't like at all. I can see them doing it because it's going to be aimed at children, but some of the things that were done in stuff like One Piece weren't needed at all though.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:36 am Reply with quote
While the discussion works just as fine..I'm pretty sure the topic creator means when the dub voice actors are changed. I.E., Goku in english has one voice for so long, then it gets changed. Or whatever other show/actors you can think of.

I definitely agree. Zelgadis's voice was changed in the first Slayers I think(we're talking dub here folks, dub and dub only). However, I thought his voice was so GIRLY and ANNOYING that the new voice was simply awesome! I love Zelgadis now. But most of the time, I don't like losing the original voice actor I heard.

For me, it works when watching from subs->dubs as well. I don't watch things dubbed or subbed if I saw it as the other first. Like FMA is supposed to have a good dub and I might check it out one day, but I grew fond of the japanese voices. Same with chobits(which I have heard dubbed, didn't sound bad but it was too different). I like subs and dubs equally, but either changing voice actors IN the dub, or changing voice actors when switching from sub->dub or reverse(obviously you change voice actors when you change language =P), can really annoy me.

I want to watch FMP: The Second Raid for example, but I watched the first 2 series dubbed so I have to wait =/

*Edit* Oh and...

Please, please, please, please...I'm praying that when Hellsing Ultimate comes over to the states, we can get the original English cast =/ Atleast Alucard and Seras.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2