• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Macross One, Fans Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Karin the vampire show? I prefer subs, but I wouldn't call that a bad dub. A bad dub is something like One Piece or even worse Shaman King. I mean Shaman King has a Chinese guy with a British accent, a Japanese guy with a French accent, a British guy who I remember sounded American, and that was just the tip of the ice beg.

The problem with eng dub, is in the US all the companies use the same 15-20 people. I mean I would not be shocked if between them, Johnny Young Bosch and Vic Mignoa were in every single English dub ever released. I mean anime, voice acting in particular is stuck in the 1920s and 30s, when there were only a handful of actors. Honestly with all due respect US has a population of 330 plus million of which at least half could probably pull off.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Yay! So glad Justin answered my question Very Happy I actually sent that one in before almost a year ago to Brian but alas it went ignored Rolling Eyes how unfortunate though that the answer I long awaited for why animax dubs aren't localized here is because the dubbing companies just don't know the dubs exist. What a shame. I'd kill the have Nodame Cantabile on my shelf with the animax dub on it. I'm constantly trying to dig up animax dubs for shows I wish were dubbed here, but like Justin said they're notoriously hard to find. Guess I need a south east asian connection to get some of this stuff.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Funimation and Sentai pretty much rescued every title that Bandai Entertainment had the rights to except for all the different Gundam series and Eureka Seven.
That "pretty much" covers quite a bit of territory outside just Gundam/E7. Among them are various "cute" titles like Galaxy Angel and Magical Meow Meow Taruto, other non-E7 BONES items like Scrapped Princess, Mars Daybreak, and Star Driver, major KyoAni titles like Haruhi and Lucky Star, old/expired(?) stuff like Don't Leave Me Alone Daisy, Fancy Lala, and Haunted Junction, and Gonzo titles like Melty Lancer, Blue Submarine #6, and Yukikaze (ETA till Funi picks them up?).

Discotek has already picked Blue Sub #6 up actually.

Being a Gonzo title no longer means only Funi has a shot at the show. In addition to Discotek nabbing Blue Sub, Sentai licensed Dog and Scissors and Special A, though the later was a coproduction with AIC and likely licensed from someone else.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
A bad dub is something like One Piece or even worse Shaman King. I mean Shaman King has a Chinese guy with a British accent, a Japanese guy with a French accent, a British guy who I remember sounded American, and that was just the tip of the ice beg.

I actually have a friend who actually moved from China to Canada. He has a mix between a British accent and his native because of the fact that another friend's hard English. It's possible people pick up different accents when they hang out with people who have them naturally or vice versa.

Who was the Japanese guy with a French?
Same thing with the British guy who sounded American.

I don't think there was a British guy in SK. Then again, that could be escaping my mind.

Besides, I thought SK had one of the best dubs of early-mid 2000s. And I'm saying this as someone who recently rewatched it all.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
...Sentai licensed Dog and Scissors and Special A, though the later was a coproduction with AIC and likely licensed from someone else.

Special A was a Showgate title.

Leviathan: The Last Defense was the start of their Gonzo direct licenses, which started in Spring 2013.
And that was also announced much later than any of their other Spring licenses, so Dog & Scissors was likely nabbed at the same time.
Kenshiroh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
The worst English dubs I have ever seen are the Omni Productions dubs of the Japanese Transformers spin-offs.

Here's a sample from Headmasters, and one from Victory.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I'd kill the have Nodame Cantabile on my shelf with the animax dub on it.

Just pick up the Hong Kong R3 release then. I have it and it's quite nice.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
Maybe someday a publisher will do the necessary footwork and try to include one on their release.

This is the exact opposite of what should happen. Laughing Of course, no doubt that Odex and their ilk produce their in-house dubs at a fraction of what it would cost to buy any preexisting North American counterpart, so I won't expect Animax Asia's "talent" to go away any time soon.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
Oh poor poor Fantastic Children's dub. It's a great show but dear lord, that dub! It's nothing short of cringe-worthy! The only reason I watched the whole show dubbed was 1) I still wasn't big into sub, I saw them as a lot of extra work as a viewer whereas now, they're only minor extra work, now that I'm older and more proficient reading them, and 2) it's still a great show, it's hard not to watch it regardless. But I did eventually go back and watch it sub, poor stupid younger self!
I am glad that they eventually axed Odex, but I'm rather shocked it took them more than one disc to do so.
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
The English dubbing unit of Odex Singapore's been dead many years ago.Right now they're just a content provider and seller/licensor of animes for Asian market.Karin is the nicest English dub they've done better than what those dubbing outfits from HK,Malaysia and the Philippines are doing right now. Laughing
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
I remember hearing Darker than Black's English dub in Animax Philippines. It sounded like the dub used by Funimation, except that one of the VAs who played a DGSE agent had a French accent while the Funi version doesn't have it.

Can anyone confirm that DTB has an Animax-made dub?

Last edited by Yu Ominae on Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote
SahgoDN wrote:
My favorite South East Asian dub was Hayate the Combat Butler! Sure it had shaky performances here and there, but I was surprised with how much effort was (apparently) put into it.

Which is especially amazing since most of the same cast did a pretty terrible dub of FMA: Brotherhood. Nagi's VA was also Al's VA. I'm almost certain this was an attempt at matching Rie Kugimiya's voice, like how Wendee Lee was both Haruhi Suzumiya and Konata Izumi (since those two were played by Aya Hirano in Japanese).

Quote:
Speaking of which, I heard Viz Media's Corrector Yui DVDs have a dub made in Singapore too. I could never find a clip of it (or the DVDs, in fact), so I can't be sure. Is it true? Has anyone heard it? Is it any good?

It was actually dubbed in the Philippines by Telesuccess (which usually does Tagalog dubs). I have all four DVDs that Viz released. While I like a few performances in the dub (like Charmaine Cordoviz's Haruna; I'm a big fan of her first lead role in the local English dub of Saint Tail), it's pretty meh. The Tagalog dub was much better (and covered the whole series).
Meleemasta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
Man the Macross stuff gets me so frustrated. I would buy the crap out of anything macross related to come out here.
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
there's nothing legally preventing anyone here from importing things like the Macross Plus Blu-ray box set on their own, or preventing Bandai Visual from including the dub for the OVA version and subtitles for the movie version as they did.

Yep Smile

twinklestarex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quote
Yu Ominae wrote:
I remember hearing Darker than Black's English dub in Animax Philippines. It sounded like the dub used by Funimation, except that one of the VAs who played a DGSE agent had a French accent while the Funi version doesn't have it.

Can anyone confirm that DTB has an Animax-made dub?

The one that Animax used is outsourced and dubbed in Hong Kong.The only and sole Funimation dub that Animax Asia used is the first Full Metal Alchemist.

Just noticed that same dubbing outfit churned out a very awful English dub version of Hayate The Combat Butler:Can't Take My Eyes Off You on Animax Asia. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5