• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Macross One, Fans Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Is Zipang's dub truly as terrible as everyone says? I always hear it pointed out as a bad example, which makes me wonder if that's not an exaggeration. I'm being genuine in saying this, though, merely because I haven't heard it yet.

Zipang's problem is that there is a lot of talking, and unfortunately those chosen to do that talking are not the best at it.

Also one of the main characters has one of the worst American southern accents I have ever heard.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
Wait, there's a dub of Card Captor Sakura that isn't Cardcaptors? I generally dislike dubs, and I already own the entire sub-only Geneon release, but now that I have a small child who can't read subtitles, I find myself wanting a tolerable dub version to watch with her (and Sailor Moon too, but that's a whole other issue).

Where would I buy the Animax version (which I assume is region 3)? I tried Yes Asia and Play-Asia, but got nothing. I want to be careful to avoid bootlegs.

If you don't like dubs from North America, you're certainly not gonna get anything from the typical Animax dub, which is 4kids/Saban tier voice acting divided by 10. You can just get the second movie dub, which has a good dub from Geneon/Bang Zoom is better than any Animax dub. Oh and Animax is owned by Sony and those dubs are made for a specific market. Expect a North American release, never.
UseY0ur1llusi0n

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote

~~

Last edited by UseY0ur1llusi0n on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
UseY0ur1llusi0n wrote:
Anyone know if the animax dub for Tokyo Godfathers is any good?

Tokyo Godfathers has a dub? In the US, I think it's sub only, because Go Fish had a hate on for dubs(just like GITS 2, which they learned the hard way that having subbed only for a Ghost in the Shell product will bite you in the ass) and it doesn't help that Kon also hates dubs.
UseY0ur1llusi0n

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote

Last edited by UseY0ur1llusi0n on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
la_contessa wrote:
Wait, there's a dub of Card Captor Sakura that isn't Cardcaptors? I generally dislike dubs, and I already own the entire sub-only Geneon release, but now that I have a small child who can't read subtitles, I find myself wanting a tolerable dub version to watch with her (and Sailor Moon too, but that's a whole other issue).

Where would I buy the Animax version (which I assume is region 3)? I tried Yes Asia and Play-Asia, but got nothing. I want to be careful to avoid bootlegs.

If you don't like dubs from North America, you're certainly not gonna get anything from the typical Animax dub, which is 4kids/Saban tier voice acting divided by 10. You can just get the second movie dub, which has a good dub from Geneon/Bang Zoom is better than any Animax dub. Oh and Animax is owned by Sony and those dubs are made for a specific market. Expect a North American release, never.

What about Blood+? The dub premiere on Animax and later CN in the US.
UseY0ur1llusi0n

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:09 am Reply with quote

dobbs95

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
I can solve 2 of the problems. Japan can start english dubbing their own anime. Then people can import it would help the Original Creators though it probably wouldn't be worth it to them, but who knows. They could even start getting the original VA's to dub them. Like what Mari Iijima did with Macross. I personally liked it her accent didn't make it horrible in my book. Just imagine getting to hear the original VA's in your dub. Again dreaming the money and/or resources is probably not there.

Atleast they have started releasing things with English subtitles. Japan should do that with all there entertainment i.e. anime and games. I would think the extra sells would offset the cost of just having to sub, but of course I am not in business so it could be crazy costs compared to the return. But I would like to see that! I would import myself broke. Their box sets can be pricy.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
UseY0ur1llusi0n wrote:
Also does anyone know if the animax dub of memories is any decent? I've been hearing people say some animax dubs are good. Some even said the Yu Yu Hakusho and GITS SAC animax dubs are better then the US versions! I found this very hard to believe but without any video or audio clips as evidence its been hard to compare them being superior, so if anyone has any info on this it would be much appreciated!

What anime is "Memories" your talking about?

Also the Yu Yu Hakusho and GITS SAC Animax dubs weren't that great, just average.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
UseY0ur1llusi0n wrote:
Also does anyone know if the animax dub of memories is any decent?

Haven't seen/heard that one.

Quote:
I've been hearing people say some animax dubs are good. Some even said the Yu Yu Hakusho and GITS SAC animax dubs are better then the US versions! I found this very hard to believe but without any video or audio clips as evidence its been hard to compare them being superior, so if anyone has any info on this it would be much appreciated!

Here's a few audio clips from some of Animax's (former) regulars:

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Andrea-Kwan/

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Candice-Moore/

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Darren-Pleavin/

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Claudia-Thomas/

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Sarah-Hauser/

BTVA also has handy-dandy voice compares for some characters in the sidebar.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
la_contessa wrote:

What about Blood+? The dub premiere on Animax and later CN in the US.

Assuming I'm making the right assumption here, the dub of Blood+ that aired on Adult Swim was not the Animax dub. It was Studiopolis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
dobbs95 wrote:
I can solve 2 of the problems. Japan can start english dubbing their own anime. Then people can import it would help the Original Creators though it probably wouldn't be worth it to them, but who knows. They could even start getting the original VA's to dub them. Like what Mari Iijima did with Macross. I personally liked it her accent didn't make it horrible in my book. Just imagine getting to hear the original VA's in your dub. Again dreaming the money and/or resources is probably not there.

How many languages do you speak fluently enough to pass as a native?
UseY0ur1llusi0n

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by UseY0ur1llusi0n on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
UseY0ur1llusi0n

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote

>

Last edited by UseY0ur1llusi0n on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
dobbs95 wrote:
Watch Kiniro Mosaic and tell me how you'd feel with that as top-tier English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5