• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Macross One, Fans Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
there's nothing legally preventing anyone here from importing things like the Macross Plus Blu-ray box set on their own, or preventing Bandai Visual from including the dub for the OVA version and subtitles for the movie version as they did.

Yep Smile

*high-fives Annf*

Though my own collection doesn't include those additional Macross Frontier discs, while perhaps unnecessarily including the Macross FB7 disc (I'm more a fan of 7 than Frontier).

Looking forward to the remastered Macross Frontier Blu-ray box this Christmas! Also not for the first time, I think it would produce not significant but agreeable results if Big West and Bandai Visual were to commission English subtitles for that set, given that more folks outside of Japan would bother to import a copy if that were to happen.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Meleemasta wrote:
But isn't the english dub on the Macross Plus BD a new one, so therefore it isn't Bryan Cranston anymore?

Only episode 4's dub is different on that set, as well as new (and kind of horrible) replacement subtitles for the movie version.

I'm told that it was due to licensing and materials issues (maybe or maybe not related to whatever Ken Iyadomi was alluding to when replying to Justin) that the original dub for episode 4 ended up requiring that all of the music and effects elements be created from scratch due to the Japanese not supplying a clean M&E audio master, a solution which was apparently done not entirely with approval. The solution on the Japanese side was to ignore that unapproved and vaguely illegitimate episode 4 dub and to create their own instead for their own use.

So, now, your choices are a U.S. VHS or DVD release with the same dub cast but replaced music (though Sharon's songs were inserted in all the right places since those would have been on-hand already) and replaced effects, or a Japanese Blu-ray release with a recast and questionably-redubbed episode 4 but with all the correct music and effects in place.

That bit of friction also resulted in Manga's movie DVD being a hardsubbed VHS dump instead of getting new and clean DVD materials, and Big West and Bandai Visual commissioning new subtitles for the movie. For some reason, even though BV has proven themselves more than capable of contracting skilled individuals or companies to make English subtitles from scratch, they opted for some mysterious imbecile for the movie subtitles instead. The grammar is, at best, lazy, and at worst, outright Engrishy and hard to comprehend, compounded by missing words and inexplicably out-of-place colloqualisms like "bromance." I know English isn't their priority, but you'd also expect a professional company to want to represent themselves... well, professionally. Not so much with these movie subtitles, sadly.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

FINALLY, someone else who didn't think the Karin dub was the worst thing in the world. Very Happy

I have to admit, I don't think it's "good". In fact there are a few really terrible voices in it. But I've heard much MUCH worse in my day and I don't really get why everyone thinks it's complete and utter garbagex

I really liked the dub performance for Karin--there was a sort of natural awkwardness to it(still not sure how much of it was intentional)
that was very believable for her character.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:02 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
MrTerrorist wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
la_contessa wrote:
Wait, there's a dub of Card Captor Sakura that isn't Cardcaptors? I generally dislike dubs, and I already own the entire sub-only Geneon release, but now that I have a small child who can't read subtitles, I find myself wanting a tolerable dub version to watch with her (and Sailor Moon too, but that's a whole other issue).

Where would I buy the Animax version (which I assume is region 3)? I tried Yes Asia and Play-Asia, but got nothing. I want to be careful to avoid bootlegs.

If you don't like dubs from North America, you're certainly not gonna get anything from the typical Animax dub, which is 4kids/Saban tier voice acting divided by 10. You can just get the second movie dub, which has a good dub from Geneon/Bang Zoom is better than any Animax dub. Oh and Animax is owned by Sony and those dubs are made for a specific market. Expect a North American release, never.

What about Blood+? The dub premiere on Animax and later CN in the US.

Assuming I'm making the right assumption here, the dub of Blood+ that aired on Adult Swim was not the Animax dub. It was Studiopolis.

I think there was some confusion on what i said so i'll try to rephrase it.
THe Blood+ dub done by Studiopolis aired earlier on Animax Asia before it later aired on Adult Swim.

Since both the Blood+ dub and the Nodame Cantabile dub were made thanks to Sony International, there might be a chance of the Nodame Cantabile dub coming to the US.
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the Macross situation was particularly sad, as it was one of the few properties of its type and vintage that would have gained a few sales from the nostalgia crowd (thanks to Robotech). Given that Ken Iyadomi is still cagey about the licensing of II and Plus, the whole situation is still clearly a very sensitive one, even after all these years.

Sakura Shinguji wrote:
It's worth noting that Harmony Gold didn't file for the few Macross trademarks they do hold, and really start aggressively marketing and protecting Robotech, until 1999 (of all years).

Yeah, that was definitely the turning point. From the timing, I suspect the development work on the abortive Robotech 3000 probably played a part in Harmony Gold's new take on their contract with Tatsunoko, and what they felt they contractually had. Shortly thereafter they opened the Robotech website, and shortly thereafter that, the first reports of interference with orders of the Toycom Macross Plus fighters emerged. And sadly, no one has ever looked back since then...

Onto obscure Animax dubs, particular complete holy grails I wouldn't mind finding would be Black Jack TV, ZZ Gundam, and Urusei Yatsura. Although with that last one (broadcast in some circles under the name Alien Musibat?), I'd be quite surprised if they managed to dub the whole series. Anything from before roughly 2004-2007 seems quite hard to find since the English dubs weren't rerun beyond then, and there wasn't quite the same internet infrastructure in place to enable them to be seen easily. Wink

I admit I do still get a little irked when series are released sub-only on home video, even though Animax English dubs already exist that would open up such series to wider audiences. That it's happened on a few too many series for my liking to date seems to suggest Animax might have some sort of exclusivity on their English dubs.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
Onto obscure Animax dubs, particular complete holy grails I wouldn't mind finding would be Black Jack TV, ZZ Gundam, and Urusei Yatsura. Although with that last one (broadcast in some circles under the name Alien Musibat?), I'd be quite surprised if they managed to dub the whole series.

UY's dub aired under the title "Lamu the Invader Girl", at least for the Philippine feed. I'm guessing "Alien Musibat" might've been used for Animax India. AFAICT they didn't dub the whole show, unlike Inu Yasha.

Some Animax dubs never aired in the Philippines, like Gundam ZZ (only saw it subtitled) and Yakitate! Japan (might be a conflict with the license for the Tagalog dub, which is currently being rerun).

Would be nice if Animax re-aired some of their older exclusive dubs (i.e., not licensed in R1 for either streaming or DVD/Blu-ray), like Twin Spica and Absolute Boy.

Quote:
I admit I do still get a little irked when series are released sub-only on home video, even though Animax English dubs already exist that would open up such series to wider audiences. That it's happened on a few too many series for my liking to date seems to suggest Animax might have some sort of exclusivity on their English dubs.

Licensing restrictions, probably, plus the perception that they're not good enough for North American audiences. Hasbro nixed having the Omni Productions dub of the Japanese G1 Transformers series on the Shout Factory DVDs. Given that the only time I ever saw those series was with the hokey dub, I'd feel like I'm missing something if I bough the subtitle-only DVDs.

Mind, I bought all the Marimite DVD sets from Nozomi even though the Animax dub is absent.
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
The chances of Animax Asia airing some old English dubbed animes are 100% slim.

Animax Asia dropped Nodame Cantabile series including the Season 1 English dub version..Most likely SPE Asia will sell the dub in other Asian markets...That dub is the best Animax dub ever! Laughing

Samurai X in English dub so popular in the Philippines since 1998.
Laughing
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I actually didn't care for what ADV had Mari Iijima do in the Macross dub, because the Minmay character is Chinese. Having her speak with an accent that was different from the rest of the voices in the show seemed unintentionally racist, even though I personally do have nothing but respect for her as an actress.

As for those Animax Asia dubs, if they were more available I'd be happy to watch them. The clips that I've seen of them thus far I really liked them. Since many of them were quickly made for broadcast, I've been told a few might no longer exist in their entirety similar to how many television shows have gone lost.

Is this part true or is it just fan speculation and weirdness?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5