• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Freezing (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Ugh. Funimation is streaming the series censored.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
That's nothing new, really. Gives one incentive to invest, though.

I'd call it a good start overall. Nothing disagreeable about it, really. The whole love triangle thing going on has more or less picked up where it left off, and I am not bothered by it, since everyone involved almost seems to treat it as a "fact-of-life" sort of thing, rather than the dramatic bullshit that it usually is in other works.

For being packaged as a run-of-the-mill ecchi, I have to say that this show has an outstanding orchestral soundtrack--very tasteful. Really drives home the mood.

I echo previous sentiments on the execution of the first episode of season 2: I'm glad they just dove right into it, rather than wasting time recapping.

The first season failed to garner an 8 from me because of a weak endgame. Hopefully, this season will be a lot better in execution across all presentable arcs.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Ugh. Funimation is streaming the series censored.

they have never been given uncensored streams before, no reason to assume that would change with season 2
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hopefully, this season will be a lot better in execution across all presentable arcs.

My concern is how this season will get to the final episodes, spoiler[I mentioned in an earlier but they might throw in a limited version of the backstory manga for Chiffon Fairchild as a means to fill for time as well as expand the character as she will be key for the finale if they chose to follow the source material closer than say season 1 finish.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
I just got the BD set and finished the first few episodes of the first season.

What I find remarkable is that nobody seems to have a comment at how completely skewed and unfair the faculty is at this "high school." In the three major altercations I have seen so far it is Satellizer that gets attacked and her attacker(s) blithely break the rules, Satellizer defends herself and then she gets punished for it. In one case a week in the "brig." Nobody objects -- not the characters sympathetic to her in the story or any of the audience who writes comments in this forum. Not one line of dialog of defense from herself, another student, or a teacher. Did I miss it somehow?

I get that they want to portray affliction by bullies that needs to be overcome but it just seems like a bit much.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 3
Oh snap...that ending. spoiler[Jina] sure changed quite a bit...and I do hope she knows what she's doing there.

Amelia and the others are definitely not going to get used to what she just became now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I just got the BD set and finished the first few episodes of the first season.

What I find remarkable is that nobody seems to have a comment at how completely skewed and unfair the faculty is at this "high school." In the three major altercations I have seen so far it is Satellizer that gets attacked and her attacker(s) blithely break the rules, Satellizer defends herself and then she gets punished for it. In one case a week in the "brig." Nobody objects -- not the characters sympathetic to her in the story or any of the audience who writes comments in this forum. Not one line of dialog of defense from herself, another student, or a teacher. Did I miss it somehow?

I get that they want to portray affliction by bullies that needs to be overcome but it just seems like a bit much.

I'm not a fan of Freezing but I also think that it isn't so much a traditional bullying angle that we see in a normal school setting. I mean it certainly is bullying, but its more like military hazing. Satellizer is seen by both the teachers and students as a violent delinquent. She has a rep that follows her from her previous school and one that she doesn't fix because her social skills suck and she has a lone wolf personality. So, she doesn't get much sympathy from anyone. Her lone wolf personality also doesn't mesh well in this military academy nor would it in a military unit. It doesn't really scream team player or follows orders well. Now when you consider that there's an expectation of respect from underclassmen to seniors in a military academy to reinforce chain of command, plus the whole Sempai-Kouhai dynamic thrown in, you might see how Satellizer sticks out like a nail that needs to be hammered down. This is pretty much what the upperclassmen are trying to do which is to make her "shape-up". Of course, it doesn't work and then things start to get nasty and threaten to get personal. So, I think nobody really objects because Satellizer doesn't have a lot of fans to come to her defense.

Its not the strongest argument I know, but that's really all the show provides. The show never presents the other people getting in trouble for fighting, which is a problem. Its possible that the faculty may also be looking the other way to a certain extent, because they wouldn't mind seeing her kicked out. They do have an excuse to blame her for all the problems due to her reputation though. Not that any of this is presented particularly well and lets not forget that we can't have them stop fighting too soon since we need to have those clothes get torn off for the fan service. They don't get too deep into organizational stuff, because you know gotta show the boobies so they do gloss over stuff. For example, its never really explained if any other faculty have pandora abilities. If not then maybe normal humans prefer not to get between a bunch of super powered girls beating the crap out of each other? When it comes down to it some of the world building has holes in it, but again its mainly a fan-service show so we can't have too high of expectations.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
You know i just got finished marathoning the manga and got up to the brothers arc

As terrible as it makes me feel to say this I have to say so far from what I've read it is easily the BEST arc in the manga. No joke. So far everything had fell flat to me besides the backstory of Ingrid and Cassie (both of which had their backstories significantly trimmed in the anime which disappointed me). The struggle that all the of the characters involved go through is powerful. It's the first time I've became so involved in a manga before. Now sure there is quite a bit of BS that goes on but the core lesson is very clear.

spoiler[No matter how much wrong our siblings may do to us it is always important to still show them love as minimal as it may be. Because in their darkest hour it may be the small fragment of love that pulls them out of their madness. Now am i saying Luis should have gotten off Scott free like he did? Hell no. He should get jail time at worst though. The dude obviously had some problems though and was never able to sort them out. Why would he need too since he always got what he wanted? You could just as much blame his parents for not telling him what he was going was wrong and simply let him have his way his whole life.]

Sure i've never had the situation happen in my family but I've experienced something close to it. So i guess that's why it had such a powerful impact on me.

I hope that the arc is at LEAST strongly referenced in the anime, or maybe an OVA
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
You know i just got finished marathoning the manga and got up to the brothers arc

As terrible as it makes me feel to say this I have to say so far from what I've read it is easily the BEST arc in the manga. No joke. So far everything had fell flat to me besides the backstory of Ingrid and Cassie (both of which had their backstories significantly trimmed in the anime which disappointed me). The struggle that all the of the characters involved go through is powerful. It's the first time I've became so involved in a manga before. Now sure there is quite a bit of BS that goes on but the core lesson is very clear.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. The Brother's arc wasn't that good [Warning! Manga Spoilers]spoiler[not because Luis was scum and didn't get his comeuppance, no its because how it was handled. The guy was a sexual sadist and an abuser of women. Nothing wrong with having a character like that in a story, the problem was presto-magico he gets better at a flip of a switch becoming a good brother. And what was the excuse given? He was a cruel bastard that liked "touching" Satellizer out of his "love" for her. Because if its out of love then its not that bad what he did (yea right). Sorry people who are that sick don't get better overnight. If there had been strong remorse on his part with some therapy thrown in at the very least instead of the I'm all better now then that would have been easier to swallow. If Satellizer wanted to forgive him after the therapy and electroshock treatments then that would be ok. It was too easy, too pat and downplays abuse that can happen in families]. Like I said if they had handled it better it could have been more interesting but they went for a simple solution. I do agree with you that the trimming of the Ingrid story made it weaker in the anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
One thing that surprises me is that after 4 eppies, so little of it has had to do with the relationship between Bridget and Kazuya. That was sort of the crux of the first season so it's a little odd that it seems to be neglected, so far.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
One thing that surprises me is that after 4 eppies, so little of it has had to do with the relationship between Bridget and Kazuya. That was sort of the crux of the first season so it's a little odd that it seems to be neglected, so far.
I suspect we wont get too far from the main couple's relationship, but I think this will go on at least a few more episodes (or maybe not). Think about it this way we are getting a little more background on the world and they are exploring some of the other characters. We knew next to nothing about Elizabeth in the first season and it seems that she will get some attention, and maybe Chiffon too. Why do the other girls at West Genetics look to Elizabeth for leadership? Why is Chiffon called the "smiling monster"? None of that was really explained in the first season. Juggling that and having enough time for fan service means that the relationship may take a back seat for a few episodes, lol.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why do the other girls at West Genetics look to Elizabeth for leadership? Why is Chiffon called the "smiling monster"?

That is pretty much the reason why I think this season for 2 episodes it is going to be a flashback to the Freezing: First Chronicle story arc which pretty much goes into both of those key questions.

Quote:

There won't be any time for their relationship if the series continues to follow the manga.
spoiler[Freezing pretty much becomes an ensemble work from this point forward though no doubt Satellizer and Kazuya are still key players. ]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Manga Spoilersspoiler[There won't be any time for their relationship if the series continues to follow the manga.]
spoiler[Freezing pretty much becomes an ensemble work from this point forward though no doubt Satellizer and Kazuya are still key players. ]

Careful you may want to spoiler tag that whole thing and label it manga spoilers including the part you didn't put under spoilers. There are some anime watchers that don't want even the slightest bit of info that comes from the manga. So lets be extra careful and label anything that could be considered to come from the manga accordingly. I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, just trying to avoid any conflict that might ensue.

To reply to what you posted: [Warning Manga Spoilers!] spoiler[It was a little awkward in the manga with the shift from the relationship to others Pandoras and its possible that they may add anime original content or tweak the manga storyline so that they don't forget about the main couple at all. I mean they have already changed several things from the manga so I'm not sure we can say that its going to follow it very closely. However, I do hope we get some of the stories from Freezing First Chronicle and Freezing Zero especially Chiffons.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[At the very least Elizabeth can be recognized as a key player even to the casual viewer considering how much screen time she has had and not just one of the "extra girls"]

I enjoyed the hell out of the Charles Bonaparte rumble, throwing in the classical music just made the fight all the more of an interesting experience.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I didn't know spoiler[Charles] was that OP. I guess that's why she's one of top 5's in the world in terms of Pandora rankings. Her spoiler[Tempest moves sure are one of a kind at the highest level. That music she played definitely served its purpose.]

spoiler[RIP Gina] though. I feel bad for Amelia now...

Oh and I think Elizabeth has something to say to the director's face about all this drama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10