• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rumiko Takahashi Short Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naushika

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Examinee 623 wrote:
Personally, I think she's suffering from delusions of grandeur, thinking she can just keep rehashing the same archetypes time and time again. Sure, they're delightful and lovable, but after awhile it just gets stale...real stale.

Reminds me of another manga-ka still prominent in the scene...guess who?
spoiler[Yuu Watase]
subaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:16 am Reply with quote
Examinee 623 wrote:
I like Inuyasha as much as the next guy, but seriously, does Takahashi need to beat a dead horse?

Personally, I think she's suffering from delusions of grandeur, thinking she can just keep rehashing the same archetypes time and time again. Sure, they're delightful and lovable, but after awhile it just gets stale...real stale.

Let's just pray that IY ends soon and we get some more Mermaid Saga.

As a Takahashi fan, I also thinks she should end IY. But, I think its more like the publisher don't want her to end it. At the moment, there aren't much new manga titles that can hold the same popularity, if IY is still popular, of course the publisher don't want her to finish it. Same story goes for the never ending detective conan, and the come back for kindaichi shonen no jikembo
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:31 am Reply with quote
subaru wrote:
and the one pound gospel Smile

and ranma

and ..............
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Yea, but in case you haven't noticed Detective Conan is ACTUALLY GOOD and like Lupin the 3rd (which is having it's 40th anniversary next year) it's gonna go on forever.

Inuyasha got to be a neverending circle of eternal reppetativeness right after Sango came..... it would have made for a pretty good 26 episode anime though. Plus Rumiko can't draw worth a crap anymore.

RETIRE....Rumiko........RETIRE...........Rumiko.........RETIRE!!!!!!
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
Yea, but in case you haven't noticed Detective Conan is ACTUALLY GOOD and like Lupin the 3rd (which is having it's 40th anniversary next year) it's gonna go on forever.

Inuyasha got to be a neverending circle of eternal reppetativeness right after Sango came..... it would have made for a pretty good 26 episode anime though. Plus Rumiko can't draw worth a crap anymore.

RETIRE....Rumiko........RETIRE...........Rumiko.........RETIRE!!!!!!

Actually, I think that would be really sad.

Personally, I'm no fan of Inu Yasha. It's the only Takahashi work I've tried to check out and outright rejected. I don't even really like the creepy horror genre that Mermaid falls into, but I still ended up liking it better than Inu Yasha.

Should she end Inu Yasha? Certainly. She can do a lot better; her previous works are proof of that. Should she retire? Well, I've not seen recent chapters or work from her, but the beginning of Inu Yasha looks much like her previous work, and if that's still the case, I think she should keep it up.

I would argue that she is doing better than the author of Meitantei Conan and Monkey Punch (of Lupin III), as I am aware of very few, if any, other works they have done. Takahashi, like some other manga-ka who are have been illustrating and writing for 20 plus years are more versitile because they are able to remain popular and still create new stories. Of course, if I were Monkey Punch, I would want to forget Cinderella Boy, too.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:

RETIRE....Rumiko........
Just because Inuyasha is lasting as long as it has she should retire. Do you want me to chant "Retire Gosho Aoyama" because the anime series is still going? Nah, you might not like that. People are still buying and reading it. People look foward to her annaul short stories. Besides, she's 48. Sure, if she wanted to, she can retire right now, after all she friggn' rich enough to, but nah, I don't see her putting her pen down for a few more years. Besides, you should have seen art she did for the first couple volumes of Urusei Yatsura. Yikes. She gotten, IMO, better with age.

But yeah, Inuyasha is bit drawn out. Time for to move on, not to retire though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:08 am Reply with quote
The problem with Rumiko Takahashi though, is that she drags pretty much every major work of hers out well beyond their actual shelf life. Ranma ½, Urusei Yatsura, Inu-Yasha, all of them are really good for about 8 or 9 volumes if that, but once they reach that point they just hit the Repeat button for another 30-something volumes. Ranma and Urusei's comedy got stale in a hurry, and Inu-Yasha & Co. making absolutely zero progress in their quest beyond a couple convenient sword powerups just gets maddeningly dull.

Still, I don't think Takahashi should retire, because she starts off with some admittedly nice premises. She just needs to go back to writing class and learn about simple plot progression again. She seemed to miss the days when the class discussed later rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
And by a short manga from Rumiko Takahashi we mean 20-30 volumes right?

That's about the exact same thing I thought when I saw this thread.

naushika wrote:
Examinee 623 wrote:

Reminds me of another manga-ka still prominent in the scene...guess who?
spoiler[Yuu Watase]

Yeah, because Yuu Watse frequently writes 30+ volume series with zero plot/character development. Rolling Eyes

Heck, her longest series is 18 volumes (FY) and her second longest 14 (Ceres). The rest are 7 volumes or less (unless one of her series not yet released in the U.S. is longer, which I doubt). Some parts may be slightly repetitive, but hardly something to rival Rumiko Takahashi.

And the only similarities between her stories are her male protagonist looking almost identical.

On a side note, I didn't know Mermaid Saga wasn't finished. I've only read scanlations of the first 5 Japanese volumes (the Japanese and American volume count seems to be different), but it's the only Rumiko Takahashi series I like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2