• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Howl Shut out at Annie Awards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote
Well, atleast it's good to see Wallace & Gromit winning something. Though, Howl not winning something does sadden me somewhat...
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote
Howl's Moving Castle wasn't the best movie that came from Ghibli compared to Spirited Away... Though to not get anything compared to Wallace & Gromit is kinda sad.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote
The Annie Awards lost any credibility it might've had by nominating "The Batman" for something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I agree with penguin, usually I'm all for equality in perception of animation but even with that in mind "The Batman" is pretty bad, especially when compared to the older animated Batman series.

That said though, I don't entirely disagree, the fact it's anime aside I really don't believe Howl should have won anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maximum_Anderring

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Why is is that "Howl's" wasn't even nominated in the "Best Music" category? I thought the soundtrack was awesome...
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
Howl's Moving Castle wasn't the best movie that came from Ghibli compared to Spirited Away... Though to not get anything compared to Wallace & Gromit is kinda sad.

Agreed. The source material was somewhat removed from the story, and became "Ghiblified".
Not their finest work, and it shouldn't have won, regardless of the creator, whom I adore.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Is being an Annie winner a predictor for being an Oscar winner?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
2001: Annie: Shrek, Oscar: Shrek
2002: Annie: Spirited Away, Oscar: Spirited Away
2003: Annie: Finding Nemo, Oscar: Finding Nemo
2004: Annie: The Incredibles, Oscar: The Incredibles

I detect no discernable pattern [/sarcasm]

Inevitably, in a year with two strong contenders, since there's two different groups of people, there will be a year where Annie disagrees with Oscar, but I really, really, really doubt it will be this year, where I think that Wallace and Gromit is easily the better film and the bulk of the critics agree with me.

EDIT: Another situation where the Annie and the Oscar might be different for a given year would be with a film released between the Annie's cut-off date (sometime in November) and the Oscar's cut-off date (December 31st), should the Oscar be for a film released after the Annie's cut-off date. This is how Toy Story 2 won for 2000 even though it was actually released in 1999.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I agree with penguin, usually I'm all for equality in perception of animation but even with that in mind "The Batman" is pretty bad, especially when compared to the older animated Batman series.

The original 90's Batman was nominated in 1994, the first year the ceremony added a "Best Animated Television Program" category. By that time, the show was in its final years of production, and was again nom'd in '95, but any good animator will tell you the quality of the product was greatly diminished by that point from the first few years it was around, and thusly didn't deserve the award.
The Simpsons by comparison were at a high when it came to the writing, some of the best years in its production, and easily crushed competitors.

Nowadays, that's just not the case.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
i can see how Howl's Moving Castle wouldn't win... but they voted Ultimate Spiderman over Resident Evil 4.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Since when were any of these awards any more credible than what we vote upon here in an anime forum? These are all just for show; I don't think I've ever agreed with their choices and winners. Of course the exceptions are when the choices and winners are so blatantly obvious (ie: Spirited Away).
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Excellent. Major categories aside, I am very pleased at the award for Wendy Tilby & Amanda Forbis's amazing "Mr. Pants" commercial for United Airlines. It's amazing that their distinct art style can be embraced on a commercial level. Yay for independent women animators!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that's actually disappointed that Howl's Moving Castle didn't win the award? There was a time when recongition for any anime was good recongition but I really think some anime fans are starting to become a bit too "puffed up." When Spirited Away won all its awards, it was a big deal and everyone applauded it because anime was finally starting to crossover into mainstream popularity. But this year even though Howl's Moving Castle recieved a nonimation for the Annies, it's like "Eh, it's no big deal." I find it to be disappointing that anime fans endlessly praise all of Miyazaki-san's other works even though they weren't perfect either yet Howl's Moving Castle doesn't recieve any praise at all. Nausicaa was a classic, but Nausicaa herself is a perfect Mary-Sue that everyone loves and she has no flaws in her personality at all, Yupa is Obi-wan reincarnated, and all the music is played on a synthesizer. Kiki's Delivery Service is a really cute yet very dragging two hour movie that has no plot or central goal other than Kiki's random adventures and is inaccurate to the original book. My Neighbor Totoro is another plotless yet cute movie who's biggest benifit over Kiki's Delivery Service is that it's a shorter film. Laputa is a good children's action-adventure film with some cute comedy, but the villians are very two-dimensional and the ending is predictable. Mononokehime is a remake of Nausicaa but with updated animation, slower-pacing, more violence, and different names and faces for the characters.

Spirited Away is an audio/visual masterpiece, but is basically a Japanese version of Alice In Wonderland, most of the film's plot is contained within the bathhouse despite the fact that there's such a large fantasy world waiting out there to be explored, and outside of Chihiro and Haku, most of the characters don't receive much development at all. So, why do so many people hate Howl's Moving Castle? Because it's "confusing" and it's inaccurate to the book? Many anime fans think Neon Genesis Evangelion is confusing but it's hailed as being one of the greatest anime series of all time and Kiki's Delivery Service wasn't accurate to its book either, but it's still regarded as a classic. Don't get me wrong; I love Miyazaki-san's other films to death, but I can't help but feel that most anime fans are blinded by the films' over-whelming popularity that they fail to point out their flaws, but they seem so keen on doing it for Howl's Moving Castle for some reason, even though it's flaws aren't really that bad at all compared to the flaws of Miyazaki-san's other works. I just hope that the film still takes home the Oscar award. After all, the more recongition anime recieves by the general public, the more popular anime can become, which means the more chances we may get to see more anime movies with wide releases in U.S. theaters outside of Pokemon or Yugioh and why is that a bad thing?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Don't look at me. I wasn't rooting for Spirited Away either. I loved the alien blue chihuahua too much. :P

In a hypothetical situation where Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro had been made this decade and had been eligible for the BAF award, which didn't exist in the 1980s or 1990s, I'd probably have rooted for those, but I'm just someone who far prefers the 1980s Miyazaki films for being tight, focused, and straightforward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Am I the only one that's actually disappointed that Howl's Moving Castle didn't win the award? There was a time when recongition for any anime was good recongition but I really think some anime fans are starting to become a bit too "puffed up."

Puffed up? I'm just happy that the best animated film of 2005 won the Annie (and will most certainly win the Oscar as well). Honestly, Wallace & Gromit is simply a better film. Howl's got recognition from its nomination (which is an honor in itself); be happy it got that.

Kouji wrote:
When Spirited Away won all its awards, it was a big deal and everyone applauded it because anime was finally starting to crossover into mainstream popularity.

"Everyone" (I have a feeling you refer to "anime fans"), as in movie-goers and critics, applauded Spirited Away because it was a hands-down great film, period. Not because it was an exceptional anime.

Kouji wrote:
Don't get me wrong; I love Miyazaki-san's other films to death, but I can't help but feel that most anime fans are blinded by the films' over-whelming popularity that they fail to point out their flaws, but they seem so keen on doing it for Howl's Moving Castle for some reason, even though it's flaws aren't really that bad at all compared to the flaws of Miyazaki-san's other works.

I've always been vocal about my preference for many, many greater animation directors (in my opinion, of course) than Miyazaki and readily admit to multiple flaws in his past work. But that is irrelevant. I'm actually quite fond of Howl's Moving Castle, more so than many of the other posters on this board. But I knew as soon as the opening credits rolled in Wallace & Gromit that it was going to be phenomenal. And it was. I am happy with the award results not because I dislike Howl, but because I was enthralled by Wallace & Gromit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2