• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Hunting - NO Recommendation threads allowed! [READ THE 1st POST]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:45 am Reply with quote
We're treading close to the line that Tony drew a couple of posts above, but I'll suggest Scrapped Princess. It's an adventure story with an older brother and sister protecting their younger sister who is thought to carry a curse.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys! I'll look into them.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Student no.0 wrote:
Does anyone know a good show focused on a 'proper' sibling relationship? When I say proper I'm saying proper I mean more towards no bro/sis-con involved, be it blood-related or not. I'm mostly referring to opposite sexes btw.

One show immediately springs to mind: Oreimo / My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute. Despite the title it's not an incest anime; rather, it's about a brother who discovers his sister is a secret otaku.

Not quite on theme, Strawberry Marshmallow included an older/younger sister relationship (and the older sister sort of "adopts" her younger sister's friends).
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know of any shows/movies that are like an 'escape the room' game - where the character wakes up to find him or herself in a place with no memory of how they got there and has to put together clues to figure out what's going on?

I recently started watching Btooom! and the first episode where an amnesiac Sakamoto wakes up on a deserted tropical island with nothing but a bloody head and a pouch full of bombs got me thinking I'd like to find something that mainly incorporates this particular story element into its premise.
Lost_Obscurity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
Hey, how about including Experimental as one of the categories? I noticed there was one that was pretty effective and can be found here, though it is old and could be updated (with Cencoroll among others). Though some anime could fit under some of the categories, films like Mind Game and Nekojiru-So are near impossible to categorize. And experimental animation in general coming out of Japan is pretty fascinating, though it can most definitely differ from the norms with stop-motion and puppetry.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Looking at some of the titles in that "Experimental" thread, I was originally inclined to label it as "Psychological." But after looking through that one, I think Experimental might be able to stand on its own as well (something more along the lines of a "Mind F**k" than just open-ended philosophy/psychology).

I'll add it for now under the "Specific / Unique Modifiers" category.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Tony K.--

Does this thread qualify as a "cross genre" thread? I ask because it has been necroposted.
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
As someone who just recently got back into anime and have been devouring it almost on the daily (packing house for a big move and watching on days off from work) my head is spinning a bit.

I know we're not supposed to ask for recommendations and that is the point of this thread. I have used it along with the search features of ANN to bring up various lists to delve into. It's a lot to take in.

Now I haven't always watched mecha based anime, but those have always been my main forte until just recently. I can't quite put my finger on why who or how but after perusing this site and the forums over the past before I actually ever signed up I first jumped into the Familiar of Zero. Quite the change from my mainstay of mecha and shonen. That led me to looking into other magic/fantasy action rom/com type stuff. I then jumped onboard with Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero (I want more of this show btw). Then Absolute Duo and Highschool DxD. And now I also just finished The Testament of Sister New Devil.

So far of these Highschool DxD has been my favorite. Not for the ecchi or lewdness, but the comedy and action are great. I love the art style and that badass dragon armor.

Long story short I am looking for more shows like this and having a little trouble searching through here on my own. I have a voracious appetite once I find something I like. What is the best way to find more of these Magic based Action/Rom/Com/Ecchi type shows... Actually the ecchi part is just a bonus so it's not a HUGE deciding factor, but it does help haha.

When I use those 4 terms to search for shows A huge list pops up on the ANN search feature, but not a lot of them actually seem to fit the bill. For instance Sekirei (which I have seen) I wouldn't consider to have the fantasy/magic element as much as I would say Sci-Fi and Shonen. Or for instance the #1 rated show that comes up is KenIchi the Mightiest Disciple. While perhaps mystical in nature at times it's definitely more shonen and comedy. Great show, but missing the more magic based stuff I am looking for.

Oh well, I guess this post is more a rant than anything else.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
@Yamstarch
Fantasy and action with a touch of romance? You have opened a whole new world, or a can of worms depending on your point of view.

The entire Fate franchise from Type Moon qualifies. Both Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works are still available on Crunchyroll.

I would go so far as to say that in recent years there is a lot more fantasy/action shows then mecha. Crunchyroll alone probably has a couple of dozen available. Just check out their catalog.
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Yamstarch
Fantasy and action with a touch of romance? You have opened a whole new world, or a can of worms depending on your point of view.

The entire Fate franchise from Type Moon qualifies. Both Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works are still available on Crunchyroll.

I would go so far as to say that in recent years there is a lot more fantasy/action shows then mecha. Crunchyroll alone probably has a couple of dozen available. Just check out their catalog.

Thanks! yeah I added the Fate stuff to my CR Queue. I'll give them a go here soon. Appreciate the insight.
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
I know it's not new, but why did no one tell me about Demon King Daimao? haha That show is hilarious. Twisted Evil
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
'cauz we are not allowed to make lists. There is a tremendous number of shows that match your requirements.
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
'cauz we are not allowed to make lists. There is a tremendous number of shows that match your requirements.

Yeah I get it. My post was meant as tongue-in-cheek. Not so much foot-in-mouth.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
'cauz we are not allowed to make lists. [...]

Please allow me to clarify: Unannotated lists are disallowed. As long as they're annotated (Even a measly sentence per item is acceptable!) then the list can encompass the entire Encyclopedia.*

*Not literally, of course, but I'm sure that that you get the idea.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
@nobahn
I understand that an annotated list is acceptable in some circumstances. However between the ban on bare lists and the ban on recommendation threads, I have no idea what I can say. As a result I say as little as possible. The whole thing on recommendations makes no sense to me at all so I just keep quiet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 17