• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga: Megatokyo?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBMA

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:16 am Reply with quote
I don't know if this has been asked already, but would MegaTokyo qualify as a manga that could be added to the Encyclopedia, even though it is American?

Idea Always better to ask before rushing in, lesson 33 of the Teiou-sensei.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 2:42 am Reply with quote
EmperorBMA wrote:
I don't know if this has been asked already, but would MegaTokyo qualify as a manga that could be added to the Encyclopedia, even though it is American?

:idea: Always better to ask before rushing in, lesson 33 of the Teiou-sensei.

well... looking at precident...

We have some other domestic anime productions (ArtFX's Shadowskin and Understanding Chaos) currently in the Encyclopedia.

It seems like a reasonable thing, as it's, in effect, a professional work.

The only concern I have is that there's no Japanese translation available; Shadowskin and Understanding Chaos will be entering the Japanese market in the near future. Tsubasa was supposed to translate them into Japanese.. but that whole thing kinda fell through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:41 am Reply with quote
hmm, yes, it's true that there is precedent. We have 7 "amateur anime" in the database:
Apprentice
D7 Peacemaker
II
No Enemy But Time
Shadowskin
The Item
Understanding Chaos

So by that token, it would be valid to create something like "amateur manga" or "doujinshi" or "amerimanga".

If truth be told, the encyclopedia could contain a whole lot more than it does currently. We could add Korean anime and manga (which are stylistically very similar to Japanese) and, for that matter, any form of art which is stylistically inspired by anime/manga. It's just a matter of how wide we want the definition of anime/manga to be. It can be very narrow or it can be very VERY wide.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EmperorBMA

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:24 pm Reply with quote
OK I posted it as a manga, and it's awaiting approval.

P.S. I think that half of Chapter 0 has a Japanese translation. (By Dom, IIRC)
charite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:55 am Reply with quote
I would say that the moment you accept non-japanese titles into the data base, is the original meaning of anime and manga extended so far that it is impossible to make a reasonable border.

Megatokyo is a great piece of work, but if you call it manga instead of manga-inspired, then what manga is becomes a matter of personal opinions, as it cannot be style based without excluding many japanese works.

I will always stick to that anime and manga are japanese products and not depending on how the characters look or if the background has speed-lines. Everything else will be impossible to keep track of, as even Disney's works shares those styles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1