• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Outlanders DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote
A pretty fair review. I mean what can you expect? This flick was during the mid to late 80's. During a time when anime was traded and films that went direct to video were a little more than an experiment for sales.

I remember this show back in the 80's. In fact it was the 3rd OVA I had ever watched and the 2nd title I ever traded for at an anime club.

Now looking back on it, it still looks the same. Only difference is what you learn over the years of watching "anime". The manga version of the OVA was much longer and had more story depth. More characters as well. Many may remember when the manga was being serialized some years ago. While the anime does settle things on a fair note it still doesn't compare to the manga's ending. Whatever the case, it was more about animating Johji Manabe's work, plus getting him more notice. But other than that it's still an enjoyable piece for it's time.

For those that want to add to their old-school collection or are a big fan of Johji Manabe, should pick it up. I certainly plan on picking it up.

Considering the evolution of animation in Japan, if they ever decided to look back on this title, they could spend the time and tell the story the way it was meant to be. Wink
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow.

Attractively drawn charaters that aren't anorexic and don't have absolutely huge breasts? Who would ever have a silly idea like that?! Rolling Eyes
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I've found the contrast between the fan service here (and in other '80s OVAs I've reviewed) and in more modern titles to be very interesting indeed.

One of these days I'm going to gather a lot of data and write a scholarly article about the evolution of fan service in anime over the years. I think it'd be fascinating to see the changing trends in character design and expectations of fan service over time and see how much of it mirrors real-world fashion trends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Ooohh, I would very much like to read an article like that!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yes, I've found the contrast between the fan service here (and in other '80s OVAs I've reviewed) and in more modern titles to be very interesting indeed.

One of these days I'm going to gather a lot of data and write a scholarly article about the evolution of fan service in anime over the years. I think it'd be fascinating to see the changing trends in character design and expectations of fan service over time and see how much of it mirrors real-world fashion trends.

Now that IS something I would like to read. That would make a good thesis paper. Wink
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:33 am Reply with quote
That would be an interesting article, never really even thought about it but now that I do fanservice really has changed and evolved over the years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izlude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or does this sound alot like Lum?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Lum was my first thought when I saw the cover, and there are some distinct similarities. Since the Urusei Yatsura TV series was coming to its end about the time this was made I don't doubt that there was some inspirational connection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I too noticed a strong resembalence to LUM!

100th post! HURRAH! Laughing Laughing Very Happy Smile Razz

Sorry about the emoticons, I'm just very happy!
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Same Japanese VA as Lum too.
Area88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Anyone actually bought the dvd?

I believe it just got released this week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1