• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Butler Cafe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting. So they can't find (or maybe rather, dare not even try to look) androgynous slim young men to serve in 80+1, and recruit women instead. Thus the real-life representation of the ideal anime man is a woman.

I don't like the criticism that guys who like anime girls like unrealistic, ideal girls. At least they can be approximated by real women. Now if no real man can approximate the ideal anime guy, then I give up.

So while reading BL (Boy Love) manga, the customers get to be served by handsome women who will make their hearts flutter.

There are plenty of gay men around where I live who have the anime physique. Why not employ them and have real BL (Butler Love) for crying out loud?[/i]
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
wow, i don't know even know where they're going with this one. is this like aimed at lesbians or something? no seriously i'm not trying to be offensive or anything.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Anyway, I don't really see how a cafe that employs middle-aged men would be any "flip-side" to maid cafes and the like. I mean... yeah, I guess it's nice to be served and stuff, but I suspect their customers would rather see handsome, charming young men instead of late-middle-aged, "proper" gentlemen. (I know I would. Ah well, it's not like I'll visit the place in the near future...)
Umm, it is females dressed in male clothing. It says in the article "all female staff".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kuroro IX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
wow, i don't know even know where they're going with this one. is this like aimed at lesbians or something? no seriously i'm not trying to be offensive or anything.

Takarazuka Revue

Basically, this didn't emerge in a cultural vacuum.
Gamen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
mufurc wrote:
Anyway, I don't really see how a cafe that employs middle-aged men would be any "flip-side" to maid cafes and the like. I mean... yeah, I guess it's nice to be served and stuff, but I suspect their customers would rather see handsome, charming young men instead of late-middle-aged, "proper" gentlemen. (I know I would. Ah well, it's not like I'll visit the place in the near future...)
Umm, it is females dressed in male clothing. It says in the article "all female staff".

Because this article is a followup to the Butler Cafe article, it shares the same thread. You'll notice the comment you were replying to was made in February.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
well that makes sense.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kuroro IX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
On a side note, am I correct in assuming that 80+1 is a reference to 801 (the Japanese 1337-equivalent slang for "yaoi")?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Kuroro IX wrote:
On a side note, am I correct in assuming that 80+1 is a reference to 801 (the Japanese 1337-equivalent slang for "yaoi")?

That makes sense now. The butlers represent "u**". Serving alcohol to the alcoholics again. Wink
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, did you check out that staff? Emo band ahoy. Yeesh.
Anime Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Women dressed as men serving women. Sounds interesting. I wonder if you would call them Sir?
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Help_me_Im_a_n00b wrote:
Now if no real man can approximate the ideal anime guy, then I give up.

Well, personally I think the lovely young men of 'KAT-TUN' fill my *personal* fantasy of the above statement, although I dont know if you could any regular joes who wanted to work in a cafe that fit that image.... Wink
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Help_me_Im_a_n00b wrote:
Now if no real man can approximate the ideal anime guy, then I give up.

Well, personally I think the lovely young men of 'KAT-TUN' fill my *personal* fantasy of the above statement, although I don't know if you could any regular joes who wanted to work in a cafe that fit that image.... Wink

I had to look up a picture of KAT-TUN to see what you were talking about, but yes, I'd say they're rather anime-esque. I think basically most Asian pop stars (especially K-pop stars, in my opinion.. just google image search "Kangta," "Junjin," or "Minwoo") fit the anime bishounen aesthetic as much as possible. Although.. they're probably much harder to find and hire as waiters than some androgenous (sp?) women...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote
Nuns?? Confused
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I always wondered about the exact name for this obsession. You do see nuns in some eroge. When you visit other forums, you may see some of those type of avatars.

Edit: I found the name with the help of wikipedia. Lazy me should have done it already. Laughing

Last edited by hikaru004 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:59 am Reply with quote
There's some irony in nun eroge, I think. Maybe that's why it's so hot.

I don't think I'd be able to make it to the catgirl cafe without exploding in a firey ball of cute overload. Anime hyper

Oh, and otaku, start your Mew Mew jokes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3