• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Advent Children Release Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isaaru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
many of the voices in FF:AC are also doing voice work for Kingdom Hearts 2, which was also recently announced.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1074.html

Also Bond-villian/Dracula/Sith/EvilWizard Christopher Lee is joinng the voice cast in KH2!
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
many of the voices in FF:AC are also doing voice work for Kingdom Hearts 2, which was also recently announced.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1074.html

Also Bond-villian/Dracula/Sith/EvilWizard Christopher Lee is joinng the voice cast in KH2!
Diz, that guy that spoiler[appeared near the end of KH:CoM]. IMO, a great pick for the role, hands down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
Special Edition? As in, there's a non-special edition in the works? Sounds rather backwards, to me. I wonder if my Amazon order will be for this DVD, or something...less special...to come later. Confused I certainly did NOT pay $26 for it through Amazon, though this was the going rate elsewhere back in, uh, fall 2005. Not that I'm expecting anything in April, of course.

Last I heard, Squeenix was committing to Advent Children "by the end of 2006," having finally realized that "late 2005" wasn't going to cut it anymore. And now they're supposed to release it five months or so into the year? Hrmph. I'll believe it when I see it.

I pretty much agree with this. The English website had the September release date and a clock for it as well.

Also, they ripped us off with the extras. Frankly I'm appalled they made us wait this long and they aren't giving us The Last Order.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
DriftRoot wrote:
Special Edition? As in, there's a non-special edition in the works? Sounds rather backwards, to me. I wonder if my Amazon order will be for this DVD, or something...less special...to come later. Confused I certainly did NOT pay $26 for it through Amazon, though this was the going rate elsewhere back in, uh, fall 2005. Not that I'm expecting anything in April, of course.

Last I heard, Squeenix was committing to Advent Children "by the end of 2006," having finally realized that "late 2005" wasn't going to cut it anymore. And now they're supposed to release it five months or so into the year? Hrmph. I'll believe it when I see it.

I pretty much agree with this. The English website had the September release date and a clock for it as well.

Also, they ripped us off with the extras. Frankly I'm appalled they made us wait this long and they aren't giving us The Last Order.

I will be very unhappy if Last Order is not included. I say "if" because i am hoping a last minute change occurs (or it could a helluva easter egg). If not, i sure there is a logical reason for this (they cant possible hope to release it on its own).

But the outrage over the late date is little overboard. Animated movies from Japan usually do not get released 2 months after the Japanese premiere. That process usually takes at least half a year. I didn't believe it for a second that Squeenix USA would release a non dub version for the sake of a speedy release.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:

You have to pay some $250 to see Last Order in Japan. It comes exclusively with the giant gift set. They're trying to prevent reverse importation on a product that's still an active SKU.

If Square did the same thing here and put Last Order in as an exclusive with a set that cost you $250, tell me, would you still complain?

You not getting an exclusive animated segment that costs the Japanese $250 on a DVD that's costing you some $20 is not being 'ripped off'.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Rion wrote:
I was a little dissapointed in the movie, thats just me though.
I have the sub version. Im on the edge about the DVD though.

Hey im wondering, will it have a dub track? That would be interesting on a movie like this......

I wasn't impressed either considering how long they worked on it. If Square isn't going to do movies and anime right, they should just stop. And they still haven't even clarrified if it's going to have the Japanese version on it.

I didn't like Last Order either. Should have been more focus on plot and characters rather than flashy action.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

I wasn't impressed either considering how long they worked on it. If Square isn't going to do movies and anime right, they should just stop. And they still haven't even clarrified if it's going to have the Japanese version on it.

You weren't impressed by what? The movie?

So, in your view, given the amount of time they took to make the film, it wasn't "as good as it could have been".

I'm not saying it was a great movie - it wasn't, it was just excellently-animated, expensive fun fanboy crapola for an hour and a half, based on an old videogame with a disjointed and sometimes ridiculous storyline - but what would you have been "impressed with"? Furthermore, what do you find "impressive"? How "impressive" does something have to be, depending on how long they work on it?
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Romuska wrote:

You weren't impressed by what? The movie?

So, in your view, given the amount of time they took to make the film, it wasn't "as good as it could have been".

I'm not saying it was a great movie - it wasn't, it was just excellently-animated, expensive fun fanboy crapola for an hour and a half, based on an old videogame with a disjointed and sometimes ridiculous storyline - but what would you have been "impressed with"? Furthermore, what do you find "impressive"? How "impressive" does something have to be, depending on how long they work on it?

Let me rephrase it. I saw the movie, I was excited and I was let down. I wasn't crapping my pants in excitment or anything, I was just anxious. I was unimpressed with the way the story was exicuted. I didn't like the fact that the movie is only an hour and a half long and they introduced several new characters and focused more on them than the main characters from the game, and what few main characters they did focus on, most people never really cared about. I've bring up Reno and Rude in a FFVII conversation about favorite charactesr. Red XIII is a fan favorite, why does he only get one line in the movie? Who are these three people that look like Sephiroth? Why should we care about them? Why does one of them keep crying? What have all of the main charactesr been doing this whole time? None of these questions are answered at all. They just expect us to drool over the action sequences. Although they look really good, the animation is amazing, the action takes up too much time. It got to a point where I just lost interest and wanted them to get back to the plot instead of showing off the action.

When I think about FFVII action doesn't come to mind. The character development and story is a big part of what made the game so good not just the graphics. Is the movie a horrible piece of garbage that should be banned from the face of the earth, no of course not. Is it nice for a bit of nastagia, maybe. But does that make it a good movie, no.

I might ask for it as a birthday gift (if it has the Japanese audio on it) but I don't think I would pay any of my money for it.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

Don't expect a deluxe tin box or collectors' book or anything like that.

For making us wait this ****ing long, they should release a tin box or a special US version of the extra stuff released in Japan.

Well it's their product.
They're the one that invest/produce/license it.
And they're the one that will release it when they feel like it's ready. If it doesn't sell well, that's their fault. They didn't delay the product to hurt you personally. They are a business, so I'm sure they understand that the fan want this dvd because it = major revenue.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
What happened to Michelle Ruff as Elena?

B33 wrote:
Now many fans, who would have bought the DVD, decided to just import from Japan or download the fansubbed version.

I think most people bought the bootleg that was advertised as the import, rather than actually importing the real thing.

As long as there's a Japanese audio track, I am totally buying the DVD. I have seen the movie already, but that English cast is pretty solid (and I'm not an English audio fan if Japanese is available) and I think it's worth it.

Cyan Bloodbane wrote:
Damn it! I'm not gonna watch the dub now.

I had VERY specific, minimal rule for what has to be in the dub:

Barret's v.o. = Mr. T

There is NO compromise. No offense Beau Billingslea, but you aint Mr. T.

No dice.

Oh please, it's not like the Japanese Barrett sounded anything like Mr. T. I think Mr. Billingslea will do a great job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
Wait, this movie isn't out already? Wow. That's slow. It's been available subbed for the past, what, three, four months already?
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

Don't expect a deluxe tin box or collectors' book or anything like that.

For making us wait this ****ing long, they should release a tin box or a special US version of the extra stuff released in Japan.

Well it's their product.
They're the one that invest/produce/license it.
And they're the one that will release it when they feel like it's ready. If it doesn't sell well, that's their fault. They didn't delay the product to hurt you personally. They are a business, so I'm sure they understand that the fan want this dvd because it = major revenue.

I'm paying for it.
So are millions of others.
They screwed us over with the delay.
They owe us big time for this travesty.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:16 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

I'm paying for it.

It's more like you "will be paying for it", which means you haven't yet paid for it, which then means you don't really get screwed over because no one really roughted you over money or anything physical.

Delays and shit happen?
Hawaiian _Gurl808

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:39 am Reply with quote
Well for i cant wait to see the english dub even tho i have the japanese version ( fannsub , even with a few miss spelling english subtited Evil or Very Mad)

I am some what impress of the the casting ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
TheVileOne wrote:

You have to pay some $250 to see Last Order in Japan. It comes exclusively with the giant gift set. They're trying to prevent reverse importation on a product that's still an active SKU.

If Square did the same thing here and put Last Order in as an exclusive with a set that cost you $250, tell me, would you still complain?

You not getting an exclusive animated segment that costs the Japanese $250 on a DVD that's costing you some $20 is not being 'ripped off'.

I really don't think that the Last Order OVA was that much responsible for a huge jump in price, considering that Advent Pieces had a boatload of items in it. Advent Pieces was aimed at otakus and reverse importation would not get you all the stuff that was in it.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ACLT-34031

Besides, Cloud+Fenrir model set was recently sold in the US. So if they are breaking down Advent Pieces and selling stuff individually, why not give us the Last Order OVA too?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7