• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Advent Children Release Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Mekairinek wrote:
George Newbern as Sephiroth? HELL YES.

I DON'T even like Sephiroth, but Newbern's work on Justice Leauge overrides that by x1000.

Tim Daly was always the better Superman, and they got him back anyway.

I pretty much agree with GATSU, considering that Square Enix made this almost strictly for fans anyway.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm glad it's finally coming out, so I can finally burst the fanboy bubble like I did with Evangelion.

What about Bandai selling the Patlabor movies for $90?

Considering the fans are the only reason Sony is going to break even on the production, and considering they made us sit through Spirits Within, I think the company more than owes us for bailing them out of a disappointing year.

After buying a PS1 and sitting through Tobal just to play the demo, then finding out that the final product I purchased before it was a Greatest Hits title was actually a beta version with a bunch of cg cut scenes, Square definitely owes me a real ending.

Japan and U.S. are different markets. We'd gladly pay a premium for just a short, while the Japanese wouldn't have bought Last Order if it wasn't for the toys.

You're crediting yourself with "bursting the fanboy bubble on Evangelion"? I'm not even sure what you really mean by that but I am pretty sure you're wrong about it.

Square owes you nothing. No company ever owes you anything. That you didn't like the ending to the game or you let yourself get too excited for the film or in whatever purely hypothetical economic situation you've come up with you are Sony's savior, that still doesn't entitle you to anything. You come up with a bunch of conditions and then claim Sony "owes" you something. If that isn't a major entitlement complex, I don't know what is.

Advent Children does not function as a "real ending" to FF7, so don't go in to it expecting one, or by the end you'll be like RAGH SONY OWES ME $100 AND A GAME OF MY PERSONAL DESIGN!

But what am I saying? You'll be like that anyway.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
It felt like a pretty formal conclusion to the story and characters of Final Fantasy VII to me.
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
There were a bunch of people that commented on my stance on Mr. T not voicing Barret...

Ok, go play FF7 again, and then come back here and tell who should and shouldn't be voicing Barret.

Sorry, but I'm taking a firm stand on this. It was one of the reasons Barret was so dang cool. He brought a whole "A-team" aspect to "Avelanche".

....wait, that's still technically an "A-team" lol
ananda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
For me, there were always three actors that I was sure of, or I really hoped for, had to voice the following roles:

The first one was Steven Blum as Vincent. He has a great voice, he is a great Actor; he’s simply perfect for Vincent IMO
Then Beau Billingslea as Barett, he will do the role more then justice.

Last, but certainly not least, here comes Steve Staley as Kadaj, he has always been my first choice for Kadaj, ever since I’ve heard him in “Outlaw Star” as Harry.
And looking at the cast as a whole, the wait was definitely worth it IMO; this got to be my absolute dream-cast!!! Very Happy
Yukinos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that I have been giving a date and can move forward with the midnight launch party at my store. Very Happy

I've had nothing but problems convincing people that the DVD that they are finding at the store in the nearest mall is actually a bootleg (I mean, come on people, it has German and English subtitles!) and that they can now finally order the legal version.

Nonetheless, I know this is a solid date and I can't wait to give people their Advent Children crack.... I mean DVD.... on April 25th.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
You're crediting yourself with "bursting the fanboy bubble on Evangelion"? I'm not even sure what you really mean by that but I am pretty sure you're wrong about it.

A number of people didn't like the show, but I was one of the first to openly call it a pretentious POS.

Quote:
That you didn't like the ending to the game or you let yourself get too excited for the film or in whatever purely hypothetical economic situation you've come up with you are Sony's savior, that still doesn't entitle you to anything.

I paid Sony and Square, and they didn't deliver. Therefore, if they want me to continue paying them, then they must give me a product which does deliver. They've already made me lose interest entirely, after KH and FFX. The only thing I bought from them lately was DQ8, and that's and Enix, not a Square product. Hell, if you go to GameFaqs, KH2 is not even the import/burn people are most likely to search for tips. It's called, "The customer is always right."

Quote:
Advent Children does not function as a "real ending" to FF7, so don't go in to it expecting one,

Then SQ'Enix shouldn't expect me to save their sorry butts on FF12. Seriously, it should have ended three games ago, anyway.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
ananda wrote:
For me, there were always three actors that I was sure of, or I really hoped for, had to voice the following roles:

The first one was Steven Blum as Vincent. He has a great voice, he is a great Actor; he’s simply perfect for Vincent IMO
Then Beau Billingslea as Barett, he will do the role more then justice.

You nailed it Ananda. Steven Blum was my top choice for Vincent as well. Along with Billingslea as Barrett. Quite frankly, those are probably two of the easiest casting choices of all time. I saw and heard Vincent and Japanese and it just clicks, Steven Blum. Barrett...you know its going to be Billingslea because Billingslea is practically typecast as big burly (usually black) characters. But he does do a great job with them.

I'm overjoyed to see so much talent from both Bebop, Ghost In The Shell, and Naruto on this.

Quote:

Last, but certainly not least, here comes Steve Staley as Kadaj, he has always been my first choice for Kadaj, ever since I’ve heard him in “Outlaw Star” as Harry.
And looking at the cast as a whole, the wait was definitely worth it IMO; this got to be my absolute dream-cast!!! Very Happy

I was happy with how all of it turned out save for Suvari and Cook. In my opinion they belong no where near this at all.

Oh and it should've been George Cole as Sephiroth, not Newbern Smile .
ananda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:

I was happy with how all of it turned out save for Suvari and Cook. In my opinion they belong no where near this at all.

I agree. But you know what? I just keep telling myself that it could have been worse; so I'm still quite happy.
I DO hope that they are good, I mean they MUST be, otherwise....

TheVileOne wrote:

Oh and it should've been George Cole as Sephiroth, not Newbern Smile .

You mean Vicious right? Wink
...yeah, I'm sure George C. Cole would have done a great job with the part.

However, I have to say that I'm still quite pleased with the choice of George Newbern.
Even though I only heard/know him from "Final Fantasy X-2" were he voiced the character Meyvn Nooj.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
ananda wrote:

I agree. But you know what? I just keep telling myself that it could have been worse; so I'm still quite happy.
I DO hope that they are good, I mean they MUST be, otherwise....

Yes, like Jessica Alba, Mandy Moore, and Lance Bass worse.

Quote:

You mean Vicious right? Wink

Yes to me, Vicious and Sephiroth are cut from the same cloth, pretty much the same characters IMHO.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
That you didn't like the ending to the game or you let yourself get too excited for the film or in whatever purely hypothetical economic situation you've come up with you are Sony's savior, that still doesn't entitle you to anything.

I paid Sony and Square, and they didn't deliver. Therefore, if they want me to continue paying them, then they must give me a product which does deliver. They've already made me lose interest entirely, after KH and FFX. The only thing I bought from them lately was DQ8, and that's and Enix, not a Square product. Hell, if you go to GameFaqs, KH2 is not even the import/burn people are most likely to search for tips. It's called, "The customer is always right."

I would say you are in the minority as most people who played them seemed to thinkg Kingdom Hearts and FFX were great (except perhaps for some of the voice acting in the latter). And if you've lost interest entirely, why are you here complaining about them?

Quote:
Quote:
Advent Children does not function as a "real ending" to FF7, so don't go in to it expecting one,

Then SQ'Enix shouldn't expect me to save their sorry butts on FF12. Seriously, it should have ended three games ago, anyway.

Then it's a good thing they aren't expecting you to.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Mishamew wrote:
wait, you're sure about the release date right? April 25th? Omg... two more months and like, i'm so psyched. i'm gonna get it on DVD AND on PSP mwuahaha.... yeah a lil obsessed... don't comment on that...
Well, we're sure that the most recently announced release date is the 28th of April, but I'm not so sure that's actually final.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
ananda wrote:

TheVileOne wrote:

Oh and it should've been George Cole as Sephiroth, not Newbern :) .

You mean Vicious right? ;)

Except George C. Cole never voiced Vicious. It was Skip Stellrecht.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
[No double posting. -Nagi]
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
My mistake, and its actually Henry Douglas Grey according to this site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7