• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-action Title Listings

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:51 pm Reply with quote
While looking through the encyclopedia, I noticed that Steel Angel Kurumi Pure (the live-action adaptation of the manga/anime) is listed. I was wondering whether or not other live-action adaptations of manga/anime like GTO, Gokusen, Peach Girl and You're Under Arrest should also be listed on the encyclopedia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:45 am Reply with quote
Just wondering why Kamen Rider Ryuki is listed on the encyclopedia as it's live-action.

anime#2168
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
DaVeDuDe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:22 am Reply with quote
Because it is live-action. I tis kind of like the Power Rangers or Kikaider live-action show, only much deeper and darker. Oh, and this series has a 30 year history.

I don't know if there was an anime, but there were video games for several platforms, including Playstation, Gameboy, and one or two platforms only available in Japan.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:35 pm Reply with quote
It would be better to just give live action it's own section just like Manga has it's own. Only problem is deciding just what would go into a listing like that. I guess it would have to be either related to an anime or manga or maybe a sentai or Keiju title. I'm not against live aciton in the Encyclopedia, but I don't like it being in the anime section.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:56 pm Reply with quote
DaVeDuDe wrote:
I don't know if there was an anime, but there were video games for several platforms, including Playstation, Gameboy, and one or two platforms only available in Japan.

There was an anime parody of Kamen Rider called SD Riders. I remember seeing the trailer for it in a Macross II LD a few years ago.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:41 pm Reply with quote
bleh. I don't really like having live-action titles in the Encyclopedia. This is an anime/manga encyclopedia after all. Somehow, Steel Angel Kurumi Pure crept in and so did Kamen Rider Ryuki. And maybe there's even more (raaah! the paranoia!) And if they're in, then why not other shows? I'm of a mind to just delete those shows and forget about live-action completely. Is there any reason to keep live-action shows in the encyc?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:05 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I'm of a mind to just delete those shows and forget about live-action completely.

As am I.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:01 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Is there any reason to keep live-action shows in the encyc?

Yes, there is a reasonable arguement for including live action spin-offs / remakes / whatever...

And the arguement is obvious, so I won't repeat it.

In the end though, there are certain lines we need to draw, lines that we can always re-think at a later date. I think one of those lines should be "Anime" not just "Anime Related." So while it's debatable if certain animation is Anime, there is no debate as to whether or not live action titles are.

I'd say remove 'em.
Case

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, think you should keep at least some of them.

When I really get into a new series, one of the things I like to do is investigate how many different products there are in the franchise and how they are all connected together.

The Encyclopedia really has become one of the more thorough resources on the web for that kind of information. A lot of times you have to rely on amateurish fansites for that, and you're left to trust their experience when they tell you how things are. Here, I can trust it more, and I think it just makes sense to keep some kind of records here so the fans at least know that these adaptations exist.

So, while it may not really fit any kind of clean cut ideal, I see a purpose for them. And I think the major ones - the ones based off of animes at least (since this IS ANIME news network; manga-adapted live action may then not be considered as relevant) - like Kurumi Pure for example, should be kept.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:05 am Reply with quote
OK, so here's an idea, why not a sublisting? For example I notice that on some titles there is a link that will take you to a list of episodes that can only be accessed through that title and no where else in the encyclopedia. Maybe something similar can be done where a live action listing can be connected directly to it's anime counterpart without actually interfearing with the rest of the encyclopedia. Best part is this would also make it so the live action would HAVE to be anime related.

Emerje
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:55 pm Reply with quote
We have LA Eva news, thus the encyclopedia should include LA GTO, especially since GTO also has a manga it's based off and is pretty faithful for a LA. (Hey, well could have Road to Perition too, but that ain't faithful)

Last edited by king_micah on Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:00 am Reply with quote
Since Kamen Rider 555 is picking up on its popularity, it should be listed on the encyclopedia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1