• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prefectural Earth Defense Force Removed from Online Retailers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crawly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
There's nothing wrong in attempting to cut out the middleman to increase profits. If this works, they might do it on other titles.

IMO, doing this to more titles would be a bad thing for us, the consumers. Have you ever bought anything direct from ADV? I've heard nothing but bad things about they way they conduct business, the most disturbing being that they charge your credit card immediatly, whether they have the items available or not, regardless of whether you'll ever get them, and then sit on the order for weeks. And as they have practically no customer service, your SOL if something goes wrong. High shipping charges and badly packaged items also gets a lot of discussion. I think I'd rather pay 3 or 4 dollars more on the product, get free shipping, and buy from someone who knows what they're doing.
crimsonsplat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I ordered from them twice during their recent fire sales. Three weeks+ on shipping times, no response beyond the automated "we received your order for X."

I skipped their Valentine's day sale and ordered from DVD Empire instead.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I did order four DVD's from their Valentines special and recieved the order yesterday(only 7 days including a holiday) So, sometimes they can ship pretty fast. It isn't consistant though.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:48 am Reply with quote
MDPE wrote:
ADV are presenting this like they’re doing it for the fans, saying that selling it through their website was the only way to release it. While I may be wrong, it seems more likely that it’s an experiment to see if they can cut out the middle man and increase their profits by releasing titles exclusively through their website.

I'd rather have a choice of retailers rather than having to buy it from one site that offers bad service and high shipping costs. In order to stop more ADV website exclusive releases I suggest anyone who wants it buys it from Robert’s Anime Corner Store.

I'm still waiting for ADV to do something for the fans, instead of it coming off as a marketing ploy. I think that bitter taste really hit me when I read the various reprints of the forbes article. As for the shipping comment, I don't think that I've EVER had an ADV order received in less than 5 weeks, so unless it's an awesome series (usually the sales are for the stuff they can't sell off... although Nadia was a nice snag) I usually won't bother myself with it.

I have to say that this one is a bit onerous to me, but seems on par with the usual ADV financial methodology. Do something glaringly self serving and then say that it's done for the fans.

Guess they need some more $ for that LI Evangelion movie
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2