• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Canadian Child Exploitation Coordination Center Misdefines Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solara-chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Just so that everyone is clear these fact sheets (there are more than one) are not written by Government officials. They are written by concerned civilians but the websites are Government funded (yes they should check what goes on their sites but there is honestly more important things than checking website content) so it is not the Canadian Government that used Wikipedia as a source (I'm sure they know better) Hopefully that removes any misconceptions that people may have about our Government.
mskala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Solara-chan wrote:
it is not the Canadian Government that used Wikipedia as a source (I'm sure they know better) Hopefully that removes any misconceptions that people may have about our Government.

It's a Government Web site, it has the Government of Canada wordmark at the top, and it's credited as "Produced by: The National Child Exploitation Coordination Centre Strategic and Operations Support Services Research and Development Section". It's evidently funded by my tax dollars, and I hold the Government responsible for its accuracy. I also wonder where you get the idea that that material was produced by "civilians" - nothing on the NCECC Web site that I can find supports that conclusion.

Using Wikipedia as a source is one of the least of my concerns. In fact, if they really had used Wikipedia as a source - by actually reading the articles they cited - that would have been a big improvement, because the "fact sheet" is wrong on a lot of points on which Wikipedia is right.
Shii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
mskala wrote:
Please note - the "fact sheet" is back. The only changes I can find are that they changed the capitalization in the bit where they explained what "yaoi" stands for, and they added a bunch of references in the bibliography that were cited in the text.

It still says all the things that people were upset about.

It is not currently linked from their "fact sheets" list, but it remains accessible at the original url, http://ncecc.ca/fact_sheets/anime_e.htm
Reposted for public review, maybe. Although without an official explanation, who knows?
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:23 am Reply with quote
A few comments:

There is no revision date at the bottom of the page.

The factual errors need to be pointed out by fans, I suggest people email them quickly.

They also need to pay attention to spelling errors, the big one that poped out to me is 'sensor' for censor.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Christopher,

Both the link from the index page and the page itself was removed but
apparently the article was somehow still on the server. It has now been
removed.

Richard Vieira
New Media Section / Nouveau Mщdias
Public Affairs & Communication Services Directorate / Relations
publiques et des services de communication
Royal Canadian Mounted Police / Gendarmarie royale du Canada
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7