• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-02-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
Boy, I had a lot of stuff to say, but it looks like everyone covered it hehe.

Just to reiterate a few points:

In Mere Christianity, Lewis argues that there is an invisible moral code that everyone knows exists within them. He does not call it Christian morality, merely morality itself.

And yes, I would quite agree, Rurouni Kenshin, in this sense, has a very moral, which some would notice as Christian, theme. It's even more notable for the fact that it was originally published in a magazine in which the main character's goal is usually to "be the best" whereas Kenshin's goal is to help others.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Ah My Goddess is based on Norse mythology more than anything else. Christianity isn't the only religion that believes in a God you know.

I think if you're able to step back and basically "rename" the goddesses as "angels" the whole thing could be argued to take a VERY Christian bent (altho I realize this isn't necessarily the intent). I think Ah My Goddess is basically a romantic comedy that does a relaitvely good job of incorporating the spiritual, but it's no more based on "Norse Mythology" than Evangelion is based on Christianity. It STARTED with some Nordic influences (the norns as the 3 goddesses, Slepnir and Yggdrasil being IN the manga and to a much lesser extent, the anime) but they're far from the obvious building block. "Midgard" is never referenced and "Kami-sama" is NEVER referred to as "Odin" or any of the other Norse pantheon. "Demons" are also not a major player in Norse mythology (AFAIK) but are a central force in AMG. Fujishima himself has also noted that it's not a direct correlation to Norse mythology. (which is why she's "Belldandy" and not "Verthandi") Also, even though I don't appreciate the movie specifically, if you chose to, you could reinterpret the AMG movie as an interesting allegory for "Lucifer's rebellion".

Anyway, I don't think AH My Goddess is intended as a "Christian" manga/anime (even with the existence of angels & demons) but I think if you can get past the "blasphemy" of "gods & goddesses" (who are obviously subordinate to "The Almighty") it is definitely in keeping with Christian IDEALS.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
(Having not read Serenity, though, I could very well be wrong. I'm assuming solely for the sake of discussion that it gets flack from being based in a heavily Christian environment. Perhaps the protagonist pronounces Jesus-is-Saviour every five sentences.. In which case, it would be beating-over-the-head, even if directed toward the Christian audience).

That's the least of the reasons it gets flack. It gets flack for poor art and really bad dialogue. Like "We got dissed, dawg." Even worse, the line came from a white guy.
Dune

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, now I've gotta pick this thing up. There's nothing better than an unintentionally funny manga. Smile
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
"Demons" are also not a major player in Norse mythology (AFAIK) but are a central force in AMG.

Well, there were the giants, who basically had the roles that demons typically have. They were enemies of the gods, ruled over the Norse version of Hell, and destroyed the world in Ragnarok. I haven't seen much of AMG, so I can't really say if the demons you talk about are anything like Norse giants, but there are demon-like things in Norse mythology that I would definately call major players.
Jimmy Balls-O-Steel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
About the contest...

Is it okay if we do hentai?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:

Well, there were the giants, who basically had the roles that demons typically have. They were enemies of the gods, ruled over the Norse version of Hell, and destroyed the world in Ragnarok.

If one wanted to make a connection there, you probably could, as I said, I don't think it has a Christian "intent" at its core, merely that if you chose to read it as a "Christian" manga you could if you can get past calling the "good" beings "goddeses". (and I use "good" generically, since they're not ENTIRELY "noble" nor are the demons entirely "evil", war between Heaven & Hell in AMG could be said to have various analogues, and it's unclear what happens to people when they die in the AMG-verse (altho numerous ghosts have appeared in the series))

The Demons of AMG are more like the classical interpretation of a "Faustian" type demon because BOTH sides enter into things with a contract with mortals. But whereas the goddesses enter into a contract freely with "good" people, as in Christian tradition for "a deal with the devil", demon contracts carry a "price". But then, Fujishima has also incorporated, alternate dimensions, various sorts of spirits, and other influences. Heck, Urd's potion making is almost akin to the Western view of "witchcraft" (which could make for interesting discussion when one considers that she is "half demon") so it really covers a lot of ground.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote
Usually I am very open-minded about many things, but this debate is somehow getting on my head. Confused

I am one of those who greatly dislike it when a bunch of critics take it to themselves to interpret a work of art and try to make a bunch of connections to give that art "meaning." It is demeaning to me; what's the point? Why ruin the purity of art? Why look for something that is not there? It's a little less annoying if the author's conscious intent is made clear that a message should be delivered. But if that is a preachy, didactic message, then it usually repels me. The Lord of the Rings is quite an exception.

I mean, come on! Why look for a Christian manga? The few which are done are absolutely pathetic enough already! I know I'm offending a huge crowd here but -- please! Manga is entertainment, not gospels. If we seek religion in manga so badly, when will we write our first manga about the Prophet Mohammed's life so to get further than the poor Danish ever could? Rolling Eyes Perhaps they could as well declare a fatwa against us too, by then!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:

I am one of those who greatly dislike it when a bunch of critics take it to themselves to interpret a work of art and try to make a bunch of connections to give that art "meaning." It is demeaning to me; what's the point? Why ruin the purity of art? Why look for something that is not there? It's a little less annoying if the author's conscious intent is made clear that a message should be delivered. But if that is a preachy, didactic message, then it usually repels me. The Lord of the Rings is quite an exception.

You should consider taking an art history class or reading a few books on the subject; your perspective on this will reverse completely.
Fuyu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Arghh!!! i wanna enter the contest!! but.... i've never really entered before? how do you enter it? Do you just e-mail it to [email protected].?
the draykin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Are we allowed to update a contest submission?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
the draykin wrote:
Are we allowed to update a contest submission?

You sure can. Anything goes.
HyweinKioko4031

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
It's a little less annoying if the author's conscious intent is made clear that a message should be delivered. But if that is a preachy, didactic message, then it usually repels me. The Lord of the Rings is quite an exception.

See, I think that was the point of asking about the chances of works that aren't so "in-your-face"

I mean, come on! Why look for a Christian manga? The few which are done are absolutely pathetic enough already! I know I'm offending a huge crowd here but -- please! Manga is entertainment, not gospels. If we seek religion in manga so badly, when will we write our first manga about the Prophet Mohammed's life so to get further than the poor Danish ever could? Rolling Eyes Perhaps they could as well declare a fatwa against us too, by then!

No offense, but to ask 'Why look for a Christian manga?' is kind of a stupid question. A lot of my anime-friends are devout Christians, and some of the manga subjects out right now can be a little unnerving (not to say I don't agree with you -- manga is just entertainment), but a "Christian" manga (and as Zac said, it depeneds on what you mean by 'Christian'-based) would be a bit refreshing -- as long as it didn't suck, and wasn't so in-your-face about it that it completely loses the story.
djarch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
If we seek religion in manga so badly, when will we write our first manga about the Prophet Mohammed's life so to get further than the poor Danish ever could? Rolling Eyes Perhaps they could as well declare a fatwa against us too, by then!

If something like that was made, and it was genuinely entertaining, what would be your problem with it?

I wouldn't mind it terribly if religion began to show up in my anime or manga... it's already on our tv, radio and movies, and I believe it thrives. It IS after all, a medium... not a genre. Wink

It's true, unfortunately, that the religious manga that's out right now kinda sucks, but maybe someday it won't. If someone else wants to seek it out, why shouldn't they? You make it sound like it would bring the rest of anime down in some way...

It's their personal preference, leave them be. I would probabaly never go out and watch an anime just because it's Christian/Catholic/Mormon -- but I wouldn't count it out either. At least not based on the religion alone.

Ah yes, and "why ruin the purity of art? why look for something that is not there?" Just because the artist didn't intentionally put it there, doesn't mean it's not there... nor does it ruin the purity of art. Like most things, I'd consider art to be open to interpretation (depending on the subject, I suppose). Most art classes are exactly about "reading into it" - provided you can back it up, of course.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:11 am Reply with quote
HyweinKioko4031 wrote:
No offense, but to ask 'Why look for a Christian manga?' is kind of a stupid question. A lot of my anime-friends are devout Christians, and some of the manga subjects out right now can be a little unnerving (not to say I don't agree with you -- manga is just entertainment), but a "Christian" manga (and as Zac said, it depeneds on what you mean by 'Christian'-based) would be a bit refreshing -- as long as it didn't suck, and wasn't so in-your-face about it that it completely loses the story.
Correct me if I'm wrong. but wasn't a manga form of some of the Bible stories done before?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5