• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation news from Katsucon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I thought you were no longer a newbie who didn't know how to use the Encyclopedia, biliano.

Very Happy Ha! I saw that! It was just laziness on my part. Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
(There's no way I would quote something that long.)

@Zalis116:
I'm not going to elaborate on the romance in Air and spoil it for everyone. It's pretty obvious in both timelines and all arcs, granted alittle one-sided in the first arc. It is extremely obvious in the movie (TV is better than movie imo). So everyone, watch it for yourselves and decide on your own.

No need to quote the whole post...

Actually, you're probably right, and I probably need to go back and re-watch the series...I'll admit, there is romance, but it didn't really feel like the main focus to me, at least not compared to KgNE or more mainstream shows like Suzuka, DN Angel, and the like. (Plus, I haven't seen the movie yet.)

I didn't find AIR all that difficult to understand either, but I'm thinking in terms of marketing to the masses, and my instincts tell me that AIR would be more difficult for the non-hardcore fan, compared to KgNE's fairly straightforward spoiler[love triangle between a guy and two girls, one of whom has woken up from a coma.]
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Crucifix wrote:
I am hoping for an uncut version...

Since when has Funimation edited DVDs not intended for children?
Crawly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Crucifix wrote:
I am hoping for an uncut version...

Since when has Funimation edited DVDs not intended for children?

He probably means the tv edit vs the home video version. But Funi usually gets the home video version of their series, so I wouldn't worry. Only worry if there's more than one opening sequence. They seem to have a hard time putting the proper sequence to the proper episodes...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
@Zalis116: Air would be marketable if they just distill the plotline down to the basics (use a direct line of 1st arc to third arc as plot) which was the way that the movie did to market it and the trailers for TV and movie. (Just reuse those trailers.) The OVA trailer was just moe and funny.

Oh by the way, two female characters are very aggressive in the movie. Wink

Heck, they also could get Lia to come over for concerts.

I'm still not giving anything away. You guys still have to watch it and find out. Wink

@Crucifix: Since Speed Grapher was licensed by FUNimation, I don't think that you have anything to worry about censorship. Just sit back and enjoy the excellent release that they will provide.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien? That's the big licensing announcement? Lame. Real lame. Honestly, Kimi ga has to be one of the most painful, trite, dull, uninspired viewing experiences I've had in years. So generically, blandly written with such insipid, obnoxious characters that—and this coming from someone who almost always finishes a series, even if it is awful—I couldn't get very far into until I just had to stop and delete whatever episodes I had. I have tried and tried and tried, but it's beyond me how people can stand to even tolerate this show.

Honestly, with all the truly fantastic anime out there that remain unlicensed, the "big announcement" ends up being this overrated piece of crap? Yikes.

Agreed. I'm very disappointed. I couldn't even get though 3 episodes of this thing. (I usually watch at least half of a series fansubbed if I can...)

With really great (new and old) titles sitting around in Japan waiting to be licensed, it's a shame that these mediocre (IN THIS CASE, DOWNRIGHT BAD) anime are licensed just because they are popular.

I still would like to Eyeshield 21, Touch, Black Cat, or even Gaiking 2005 get licensed!!! Gah... I still love you FUNimation, but I won't be buying this.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Karala wrote:
Rumbling Hearts?! What? What kind of name is that? Why would the Japanese pick that over something about An Eternity That You've Wished For?

Because the Japanese love the "Gerund* plus noun" sort of English titles, especially for videogames.

Plus, "An Eternity That You've Wished For" might just be too complicated English for the average Japanese game player to understand.

*Gerund = verb ending in -ing used as an adjective/modifier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
THE ENGLISH TITLE WAS DETERMINED BY THE CREATOR OF THE SERIES It's another one of those things I don't want to question.

The rep (who's name and title I forget but I remember that he's essentially a Quality Control guy) prefaced the opening of Rumbling by saying that whoever tried to guess the series was wrong. Boy, was he not kidding.

Having only the OP to go on (which was more informative that the MoonPhase OP. Holy crap, was that weird.) I'd say Rumbling indeed is a questionable pick-up, but a title is a title, and having titles is always good.

You also have to remember that FUNimation is in a really big experimental phase right now. With their house channel, movie theater stuff, change in distribution schedule, et al, they're trying to look for something to make anime fandom better (and make a few bucks on the side). If they think Rumbling is going to help them, than that's their choice; good luck and godspeed.

Oh, and I could've sworn Bamboo was passively antagonizing the rep. Wink
Maceart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
Another reason why AIR hasn't been licensed yet is probably because of the same reason Kanon hasn't been licensed yet... Ultra high licensing fees from Key/Visual Arts.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:00 am Reply with quote
Licensing fees are expensive anyway. Cost is a relative thing. If the series is worth it and you can profit off it or come out even, then spend away. (Sony is proving that with Blood+.)
vickeyv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:09 am Reply with quote
I think Kimi No Go........sorry rumbling hearts (and i think its a good retitle) is a very good pick. Funimation certainly took a risk, but for all i have heard the story is like any other high quality teen age high school story, and it will draw lots of female and non-anime fans to buy it. Just by reading of the back opf the DVD people would want to buy it, they better make a good cover and give a very intresting discription, i think those two things are gonna be the main selling point...........
Karala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Karala wrote:
Rumbling Hearts?! What? What kind of name is that? Why would the Japanese pick that over something about An Eternity That You've Wished For? Was there something so wrong with that title? It was good enough for the Japanese, but they don't want that title for North America? Rolling Eyes I mean, I never liked KgNE and think it's the most over rated thing I've ever laid eyes on, but they could've tried a more direct translation on the series name.

....did you even READ the thread? Lane Heiskel of Funimation just posted on the same page you posted that Rumbling Hearts was the English name chosen by the Japanese company. It wasn't Funi's idea, blame the Japanese company if you don't like it.

Thanks for reading my post. Note the "Why would the Japanese pick" and "they don't want that title for North America" Rolling Eyes

Thank you to the people that actually tried to answer my question Smile I just really feel "Rumbling Hearts" loses a great over-all impact that the title was imparting about the series and its characters. That doesn't mean I would be againt it having a slight rewording, it does sound awkward ... the key things in the title should remain, about someone wishing/longing for an eternity.

I'm with the people that wanted Air. Air was such a superior title to my mind, I can't stand the soap opera feel KgNE had... I guess you could say it was good enough for me to watch all 13 episodes but I think I did that more out of trying to understand the hype.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
Agreed. I'm very disappointed. I couldn't even get though 3 episodes of this thing. (I usually watch at least half of a series fansubbed if I can...)

Kiminozo probably has the most misleading set of early episodes of any series I've seen. My sister dumped it early too. I was hooked by the second episode, and couldn't stop watching it.

Chalk it up to a required taste I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
crilix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:59 am Reply with quote
Great news! Definitely a step in the right direction. It seems this thread got the attention of the studio representative, so would a plea for licensing Kanon and AIR be out of place? Wink Also, I have another plea: please send out a C&D to the remaining DVD/fansub group distributing the KGNE series.
Still, I think fansubbing has definitely been useful for this license to flourish. Apparently, it is still a great machina to continue promoting niché anime genres such as ren'ai and moe-type character series as opposed to the fansubbing promotion of the shounen genre.
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
"Apparently, it is still a great machina to continue promoting niché anime genres such as ren'ai and moe-type character series as opposed to the fansubbing promotion of the shounen genre."

Actually ren'ai and moe aren't niche, they are essentially the bread and butter of hardcore otaku anime. Just look at the explosion of titles in the past couple of years, and this is thanks to Kanon. The difference is that shounen genre is the mainstream, meaning non-otaku / non-anime-fans can appreciate shounen.

I like how Funimation is experimenting with picking up hardcore titles, although KimiNozo is more j-drama than anime, it's still a solid title, I don't think its overhyped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8