• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japan Expo USA 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikanteki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part of anime/Japanese conventions is music. It's such a treat to see real Japanese bands/singers, and Japan Expo COMPLETELY hit it out of the park with all four. I loved them all, especially Noriyuki Iwadare and 1000say.

Also, the movie and anime showings were good (I saw Fairy Tail & Blood C) and I liked Uruma Delvi. Turnout was a little disappointing though. :-/ (There were like 5 people total for the Uruma Delvi panel. And I saw a bunch of empty vendor booths Saturday.) Although, it made for no lines and no crowds.

My one major complaint is that I purchased a premium pass, primarily to get a badge, and it didn't deliver. It says this on Japan Expo's website:

Quote:

7.4:
Before entering the festival premium ticket holders will receive the following items:
(1) wristband allowing them access to the benefits of the premium badge;
a badge with a photo identification;
any gifts that are given to our premium members.

The promise of a badge was really why I ponied up the extra bucks. I keep a collection of badges from my cons and it would have been worth it for me to pay the extra bucks to get a real badge from JX USA's 1st impact. I understand the rationale for not dealing with badges for thousands of regular attendees, but there were <200 premium tickets -- there was no reason why they had to cut this out.

Also, while the Japan Expo gifts were cool (t-shirt, prints) they totally flubbed the "partner gifts." A 10% off coupon? A sticker? A pencil? Sorry these are a joke and should not have been advertised as a benefit.

Take a look at the partner gifts that a European Japan Expo gets: There's a CD, lunch tin, and manga volume:
http://www.japan-expo-sud.com/en/actu/the-gifts-for-silver-tickets_1900.htm
^^^And this was for a 55 Euro Silver ticket--around $75. That's less than the $100 Premium tag here. Other Premium gifts have been vinyls, mugs, etc.

The other benefits weren't really necessary (i.e. separate entrances) as there were no lines due to low attendance. The bag check was cool, although I wouldn't have had paid extra for it. I don't really care about autographs, so the only thing worth it for me was the T-shirt (normally $20). At $50 extra, my premium pass was a waste of $30.

I'll go again if they have it, but probably just get a regular ticket.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4