• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: News on Cameron's Battle Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
What he can't do is come up with anything original.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
What he can't do is come up with anything original.

Wow, what a totally worthless criticism.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
Hey maybe Evangelion, DBZ, and this fillm will all come out at the same time. And then Disney will release their Sailor Moon live action film

I get your joke (though the American live-action Sailor Moon film was just a proposal that never even got to any serious level of "development", let alone preproduction, and has been a dead idea since around 1998), but, unlike those three, I do think Battle Angel will actually eventually get made, just later rather than sooner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
2010 would be only about 12 or 13 years after he began muttering openly about Battle Angel.

How speedy of him.
I was thinking the same thing.

Over all the artical did not tell me any thing new that I all ready new about over 6 months ago on the project.

Over all, it would be nice.

From what I hear, he might do another 2 movies based on the success of the first film. So this in immedately hinting to me that Cameron might do the first 2 books covering the love story between Alita and Hugo (effective the same thing as the anime) ; and then tell the rest of the saga later on. Like you could easliy crop some part of the story. Eg. Motorball and Revenge Of Zapan story arcs.

TheVileOne wrote:
I don't see Battle Angel Alita being so special it deserves a big budget live action movie by James Cameron.
Depends on what part of the saga. Like I would love to see (even animated) spoiler[that end battle with BarJack when he attacks the city. After seeing some of the battle scene in LOTR and STARWARS EPISODE II & III, I think that would cool.]. However to do that, there is at least 2 movies worths of story to tell to get that far. Which bring me back to my orginal point of how Cameron might do more than one movie
Izlude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
I don't see Battle Angel Alita being so special it deserves a big budget live action movie by James Cameron.

Read the original manga and tell me it's not special.

Maybe by 2009/2010, Battle Angel Alita Last Order will of concluded. Razz
scatteredshadows

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
So when will the anime Battle Angel be re-released?

I've been wondering this myself. Does ADV still possess the license? If so, I wonder if they've only retained it hoping that Cameron would get the live action production underway, allowing them to capitalize on free publicity.

In any event, you would think that even if they feel it's not likely to sell enough units to justify the cost of production and distribution to outlets like Best Buy and Suncoast, they could still keep it in stock on their own website, and maybe distribute to a few specialty retailers.
Izlude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
ADV lost the license to the Battle Angel OVA, I believe Cameron currently has it.
Stardust_Memory_0083

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I have strong feelings about this topic, and I wanted to share them with you all.

Battle Angel is one of the series with the greatest amount of "heart" I've ever read, in my opinion. For a moment, put aside all the beautiful art (which was best in the original, pre-"Last Order" phase), the intense action (which was dinamic and clearly depicted for the most part), and the sometimes sad, sometimes funny, usually witty social commentary that appeared during the entire series, and focus on the thing that I think it does best: it tells the story of an relatively-innocent girl who wants to know who she is, where she came from, and where she is going, and through heartbreak, love, tragedy, sacrifice and eventually hope, grows into a woman who is a better person than she herself was when we first met her, and maybe better than most "normal" people. Like Dr. Tyrrell said in Blade Runner, "more human than human" is an apt description for Gally/Alita, and she is the series' heart.

Now, about the Cameron project, i will only say this: think about Aliens and Terminator 2. Both are superb action movies, rivaling the best of the stuff that Hollywood makes nowadays. You know why I tyhink they are so good? Because at their core, they are stories with a strong love theme.

In Aliens, it was the love that Ripley projected onto Newt, who is like the daughter she left behind long ago, and it is that love that makes Ripley fight an entire Alien hive to protect her "child", culminating in her mano-a-mano versus the Alien Queen, both mothers in their own way, fighting for their children.

In T2, it's also the love between a mother and her child that is the core of the film, as is Sarah's quest to prevent Judgment Day, not for herself, maybe not for the human race, but for her son whom she cared for above anything else. Throw in a bit of a Terminator taking on the father figure role, who was the only would-be father who actually "measured up" in her eyes, and you see the undercurrent of family and parents/children love in the film.

The reason why I point this out is because I think that when it comes to films that blend explosive action, strong sci-fi themes, and yet tell at their core a very human story, no one out there is better than James Cameron, and so I do think that Battle Angel has a chance of being an amazing film if he takes the Aliens/T2 approach rather than the Titanic approach to the story. I don't know about you guys, but I'm crossing my fingers here...
deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:17 am Reply with quote
Wow, if three years from now is as concrete as they can get, I don't have a lot of hope for this one.
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
Wow, if three years from now is as concrete as they can get, I don't have a lot of hope for this one.

If they're developing new technology for this and the other Cameron project, I don't think they want to do all that work and not have a final product...what would be the point in that?
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote
[So...why is it one of the greatest manga titles ever? Just shouting "it's teh bestest!" at someone isn't going to change their minds or prove in any way informative. -Nagi]
waterox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
[You people are starting to give Battle Angel fans a bad name. HOW is it "100 times better than ____" or "6 times the super-cool awesomeness of ____?" I know I'm coming down hard on you people, but really what you're saying means nothing since you don't back it up at all. -Nagi]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2