• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-02-10]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
Last time I checked, CLAMP made their own anime and then decided to take the fanfic route. Wink

As for DIY anime shops, has anyone checked out Hammergirl to see how that's doing? I forget where it is, but it's either in PA or NY
naushika

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
Maybe the contest should have been to pick apart the first letter (the one about CLAMP and the homemade anime idea) and identify all of the anime/manga that the cliches/plot she mentioned could have come from? Most creative, perhaps even far-fetched connections would win.

Yeah, I guess that is a little harsh though...
I'm sure most of us are guilty of imagining our "original idea" making it big....
But like answerman said, its the college education that counts. (even though it might mean those dreams crashing down when reality finally registers)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Ironically, most manga-ka (especially shoujo ones) are not 4-year college educated; many of whom are either high school graduates or 2-year junior college / professional school graduates. Anime staffs, however, are different stories.

Speaking of CLAMP, I'm going to interview Ageha Ohkawa this Sunday. Any suggestion on questions?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
One could, theoretically, just go into some anime forum and copy and paste one sentence from every fan-idea anime.

But being original is more fufilling.

Great Answerman as always. Hopefully you weren't abusing the painkillers while writing it. : P
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
I'd like to point out that the section on Wikipedia on the Negima DVDs is a tad old, and I just updated it since the actual DVDs are out. Prepare to be a tad disapointed.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Ironically, most manga-ka (especially shoujo ones) are not 4-year college educated; many of whom are either high school graduates or 2-year junior college / professional school graduates. Anime staffs, however, are different stories.

This is true, but when you want to be a professional comic writer and you're churning out classic phrases like "it about a dimension that seems like normal people," I'd say you definatly need further education of some sort. Wink
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:00 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

As for DIY anime shops, has anyone checked out Hammergirl to see how that's doing? I forget where it is, but it's either in PA or NY

Hammergirl is in Rochester, NY, and I assume it's doing very well especially since they occasionally hold special events in the store. Like supposedly this weekend, there's a Mario Kart Double Dash tournament. And not to mention it's near RIT where there's lots of anime fans. Rolling Eyes Cool
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:09 am Reply with quote
Seems like the first one could fall under flake of the week too. Really, I don't remember being that stupid and out of touch with reality when I was 15. Kids these days. When I was their age I was making stupid doujin web comics which had South Park style Evangelion character. (And you should all be thankful the site has since died.)

-Xenos

Last edited by The Xenos on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:12 am Reply with quote
Meh, CLAMP peaked around 1997 anyway. When they started two potentially amazing series (Legend of Chun Hyang & Clover), didn't finish them, and then started doing stuff like Legal Drug and Chobits? Yeah, they just ain't what they used to be. The glory days of Tokyo Babylon and X and Card Captor Sakura and Magic Knights Rayearth are pretty much done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
andrael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe the contest should have been to pick apart the first letter (the one about CLAMP and the homemade anime idea) and identify all of the anime/manga that the cliches/plot she mentioned could have come from?

I dunno about anime, but when I read
Quote:
it about a dimension that seems like normal people...but at birth they are given a random spirit...now...the spirit comes out of the body to help out the humans in their everyday life...

...the first thing that sprang to my mind was Golden Compass/His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. ^^;;

Quote:
Speaking of CLAMP, I'm going to interview Ageha Ohkawa this Sunday. Any suggestion on questions?

Wait, wait... Nanase Ohkawa changed her name? O___o When did that happen?
Vantos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:13 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
dormcat wrote:

This is true, but when you want to be a professional comic writer and you're churning out classic phrases like "it about a dimension that seems like normal people," I'd say you definatly need further education of some sort. Wink

I used to think like that when I was a kid (you know, my "great idea" for an anime, manga or video game making the big time), but reality showed me a different path. Granted, I'm only 18, but I decided to attempt to channel these creative attempts in more, er, feasible ways.

Don't bash the kid for his lack of education. He'll learn soon enough.

EDIT: Excised apostrophe.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:32 am Reply with quote
andrael wrote:

Chronology:
(2004-07) Changed her given name from Nanase (七瀬) to Ageha (緋芭)

It was also CLAMP's 15th anniversary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
andrael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
andrael wrote:

Chronology:
(2004-07) Changed her given name from Nanase (七瀬) to Ageha (緋芭)

Yeah, I read the article... When I said, "when did that happen?", I guess what I meant was, "how come I didn't hear about this before now?" A rhetorical question, in either case. Embarassed

A not-so-rhetorical question then: Does anyone know why she changed her name? I thought I heard something about one of the CLAMP people getting married, but that wouldn't explain a change of given name, would it?
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote
I have follow-up to the Negima question.

Did people in Japan reacted the same way when the Love Hina anime was release? I mean it was very different from the manga.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quote
andrael wrote:
A not-so-rhetorical question then: Does anyone know why she changed her name? I thought I heard something about one of the CLAMP people getting married, but that wouldn't explain a change of given name, would it?

There are many speculations: some says it was because they were harassed by overzealous fans (but those were pen names before and after the change, and everyone still knows who's who); some says it was to celebrate their 15th anniversary (maybe, but it's kinda strange to celebrate in this way...). I'll ask her for an official answer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6