• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Article on Anime Junkies

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:09 am Reply with quote
Well anime junkies is pretty decent and fast. They do good subs and make them available to all via bit torrent. However, they are a little too good about serving fans. I really like the fact they are still doing Last Exile, but I know that its wrong to continue fansubing it. The fist of industry may smite them. Pioneer has finally gotten fast, and they could have the first discs out by September, just as the show would be finishing in Japan. Anime junkies risks itself by continue to fansub released stuff. If they don't straighten up, then they could get face the DOJ's copyright cops on them, which would suck for all fans.
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:11 am Reply with quote
I certainly agree with the whole editorial. Anime Junkies IS a great example of bad fansubbers.
However, it would have been better if this was kept quiet at first. That way BrundelFly wouldn't be able to shed crocodile tears to people who don't know any better for their support.

I've had this kind of crap in my life too. Vince's Outlaw Star website (I was working as a fanfic reviewer there) at one time got ripped off by two 12-year olds. They thought they had every right to steal hard earned work Vince did to promote OLS. The same 12 year olds then tired to sued us and posted a "Woe is us, help us website viewers. Oh, and here's the e-mail of the person we stole from. Have fun." aka what AJ is doing right now and the harassment via e-mail towards UV. Vince informed everybody who made an OLS site the normal way and then informed Angelfire of what was going on. Angelfire shut down the site and that was the end of Ryshui Blade. Or so we thought at the time, but that's another story.

Contact whatever web host they have, tell UV to get tough on these guys. They deserve it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:12 am Reply with quote
The true spirit of anime fandom is to support it LEGALLY
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:16 am Reply with quote
agreed, buying the american dvds is capitalism. sure, they're making a profit.
DUH.
unfortunately, people have to pay for food to eat. in order to get money for that, they have to get jobs and make things to sell so that you, the fan, can spend your money on it. it's too bad anime isn't free. too bad there isn't world peace. too bad disease exists.
i don't know for sure, but i'm betting that the majority of people in the anime industry are just fans who worked hard and got an education in order to be a part of that industry, not fat cats trying to squeeze you for cash.
the fact is, getting a fansub of an already-released series isn't that different from going to the local suncoast and ripping a copy of the dvd off; so in your veiw of fandom vs. capitalism, is theft ok?
kira kira
GLO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:25 am Reply with quote
If you read the ANN article on the legality of fansubbing, the you know that fansubbing is illegal, licensed or not. However, a gentleman's agreement exists between the anime industry and the fansub community, that you don't do licensed stuff.

AJ telling UV to "Who the **** are you anyways to buy a series we were doing?” is a stupid show of incredible disrespect and ignorance (UV made Ninja Scroll BTW, that's who the hell they are, no UV = no Ninja Scroll TV show) and gives the anime industry reason to crack down on fansubbers

If AJ really wanted to bring anime to the people, they would've just complied rather than comlain and swear and make things tougher for the rest of the anime community

And all you people saying AJ's going a good job obviously don't watch their work. They are known throughout the anime community as being the crappiest group in terms of quality and content, summed up in four words: "mass naked child events" (<- a horrible mistranslation of child abduction)
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:30 am Reply with quote
antonius_r3 wrote:
Agree on this one.

I won't disagree with you there -- it's not about fandom, it's about capitalism.

This is a business, folks, and people like Urban Vision need to make their money if they plan to stay around and keep making anime for you to watch.

Although most of the companies today are from a "fan" background, I suspect that they would not appreciate a fansubber subtitling and distributing something to which they already hold the license.

Why? The fansubber was working for "fandom"! ... but the companies still have to make money on the product.

That's always what companies have been about, and that's always what companies will be about. Even AN Entertainment wouldn't appreciate a fansubber who continues to subtitle Risky Safety -- thus, even when the most fan-friendly company goes into business, it's because it's about business and not about fandom.

That doesn't mean fandom can't exist... but fandom and the industry need to work together.. and the final legal decision of what fandom can and cannot do is determined by the industry.

Now, whether or not the industry can enforce it is another matter...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Barney

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:48 am Reply with quote
It's all right because Ninja Scroll looks to be a terrible series.

UV saw a market, understood Non-Japanese can't make anime, informed Madhouse of the potential money to be made, which Madhouse agreeded and voila born is the souless series of ninja scroll.

this comment is extreme and not thought out but still holds some truth
DCRavenX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:49 am Reply with quote
As long as companies produce decent products I would rather have the real version than the fansub. As long as companies aren't cheating fans by producing inferior DVDs then, I won't even consider fansubs. Besides I really enjoy the DVD extras.
chidori

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:53 am Reply with quote
Ok FIRST, AJ's reply was a bit harsh, but if you look at it from their side. Subbing anime for fans is a hobby they love, when you are suddenly told to stop what you are doing, you may not always respond with a cool head.
(no harm done... I mean, jeez you've never read an email with profanity in it before??? There is no need to crucify AJ that small mistake)

SECOND, it is ridiculous to flame AJ for not immediately taking down the first five episodes of ninja scroll. If it wasn't for AJ allowing us to PREVIEW anime, I would not have bought ANY of the anime I have today, that were subbed by them and probably, neither would most other people. How the heck do you think normal American people decide what anime is good or bad? Read your reviews from this website? Give me a break no freaking way. We need more assurances that the hard earned cash we are spending is being well spent.

Finally, what kind of people are reading this website? Are you guys anime fans? I would think so right? Otherwise why would you be interested anime news right? You should be very appreciative of all fansubbing groups for their hard work. If it wasn't for fansubbers like AJ ninja scroll wouldn't be able to sell more than 1000 copies in America. American companies are leeches, they take advantage of the free advertising done by hardworking fansubbers and then they tell them to stop once the advertising phase is done, and american companies will move in to make all the money. Seriously , look around you, how do you think most people outside asia find out about anime and come to love it enough to buy it on dvd? certainly not from advertising on tv! Most of us love anime because we get it from fansubbers, and then we decide to buy the anime on dvd.

ALSO. If you pay attention to the the websites of fansubbers, you will notice that UNLIKE THIS website, they have NO annoying flashing ADS and therefore get NO MONEY for people visiting their sites.
Anyway that was just a response to some other idiot from a previous post, my point is... anime outside of asia is still in it's fledgling state. Why do you think American companies charge us $30 retail for 3-5 episodes of anime, while while you can get an entire season of Friends for just $35?
I'll tell you why, it's because the fanbase is still VERY SMALL. Contrary to what you may think, the more people buy a dvd the cheaper it will become. You better be appreciative of fansubbers because someday anime may become super popular outside of asia and it will be because of fansubbers AND NOT north american companies, those guys barely break even when they release anime titles in america.

Arg... it's late and i'm tired... haha i can't believe i wrote such a long post... i wonder if anyone is going to actually read the whole thing.

Mmmm, if you dont read anything else from this post, read this:
I just graduated from college, and I will speak for everyone I know there:
None of us would know a single thing about anime if it wasn't for awesome groups like AJ. Flaming AJ for their harsh reply is just being a cry baby, flaming AJ for not immediately taking down the first 5 episodes of Ninja Scroll is just being ignorant. 1- other fansubbers have already released eps 6-7 as of this post and will continue to release the entire series, regardless of your complaining. 2 - AJ by releasing eps 1-5 will only help increase the fanbase for ninja scroll, and therefore help the american companies make more money.

-Chidori
(in case you were wondering this is just an alias I got from full metal panic) Very Happy
GLO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:08 am Reply with quote
first off, I feel fansubs and fansub groups are absolutely necessary for spreading the word about all the new titles in japan BEFORE they've been licensed here

however, aj isn't doing the anime community any favors by telling a company to f*** off, if anything, that'll just piss the company off and lead to harsher crackdowns on fansubs, making it that much harder to spread good anime to the masses

as a passionate anime fan, I do not want to see this happen, especially because a couple of stupid, immature morons ran off at the mouth
Jlbkwrm
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:11 am Reply with quote
AnimeJunkies: Justifying every bad thing I've ever said about digisubbers.

Quote:
On the extreme left of the issue are people that feel that fansubs are illegal no matter what.

This? Is garbage. I've yet to read anything finding decent legal justification for fansubs. Since when was reading and logically interpeting the law, forming an opinion for which there does not currently exist a real rebuttle, extremist?

Of course, AJ goes on to place themselves in the rational middle.

The article starts off claiming the UV/AJ issues was supposed to be private. If it was a private issue, then it stands to reason all the e-mail flames originated from our self proclaimed 'decent human beings'.

Quoted from the ANN editorial (I have yet to read AJ claiming these quotes were fabricated):

Quote:
“Leave fansubs to fans or do it for free yourselves. All you are doing is getting rich off a series we helped make popular."

“Rot in Hell”

Yeah, that's a real middle-of-the-road approach there.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:12 am Reply with quote
i'm not saying you shouldn't buy anything at all, that's just insane. i mean obviously if you like the show you should buy it on dvd to make to enjoy it even more... but how do you expect the show to even gain a global fanbase when they can't even watch it?
the way i see it the licensing rule is kinda flawed. i say it should be illegal not when the show is licensed, but when the show reaches some kind of medium where people can access it like a dvd, television, etc.
and even so the company's are still keeping money in their pockets as the japanese industry accounts for more of the money since it's more local to them, and not to mention imported merch(plushies, models, etc.)

my point is: if people like what they see, they'll buy it when it comes out without being forced to do so, but obviously they can't make that decision if they never have acess to it.
microwiz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:17 am Reply with quote
I've seen other groups pull the links that they control to files and their content more or less instantly when it turns out that something they were fansubbing has been licensed.

I've never heard of any of them being contacted by the licensing company itself as AJ was, but to keep the files available at links that AJ control AFTER that contact is foolhardy in the extreme.

This is not some kind of macho showdown. If I were AJ (and, thank goodness, I'm not), I'd be distancing the group from that angry letter and whoever sent it so fast, heads would spin.
Jlbkwrm
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously , look around you, how do you think most people outside asia find out about anime and come to love it enough to buy it on dvd? certainly not from advertising on tv!

No, certainly not. NOBODY ever bought Cowboy Bebop because they saw it on TV! Without fansubbers, I certainly would never have hear of Gundam--My brain automatically tunes out all the Cartoon Network airings. Pokemon sold eight trillion DVDs because of fansubbers, not the insane popularity it earned through marketing and TV.

And, you know, nobody is going to go out an look at Ninja Scroll because the Animatrix documentary used footage from it. It's all fansubbers.

Quote:
American companies are leeches, they take advantage of the free advertising done by hardworking fansubbers and then they tell them to stop once the advertising phase is done, and american companies will move in to make all the money.
...You better be appreciative of fansubbers because someday anime may become super popular outside of asia and it will be because of fansubbers AND NOT north american companies, those guys barely break even when they release anime titles in america

Dude. Pick one. Either the US companies are abusing the hardworking self-sacrificing fansubbers to make mounds of cash (the Animatrix doc said a half-billiion industry a year, IIRC), or they're dirt-poor and barely turning a profit. One or the other. Not both.

As for the rest... You're very, very misinformed. Fansub watchers are in the minority.
That Legato Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:49 am Reply with quote
One claim I found particularly stupid of AJ's was their claim that they cannot control what is on their file servers in their IRC channel. That's bull. Speaking as operator in an (admittedly smallish) manga translation channel, I can confidently say that it is quite possible to control what people serve. All it takes is periodically looking through the fileservers. Even in a huge fansub channel, chances are there won't be more than about 200 file servers running. That may be a lot, but if the staff actually takes the time to LOOK at them periodically, they can remove non-complying servers from their channel easily. Heck, you could probably write a script to check what fileservers are advertising very easily. For all I know, many more advanced IRC clients come with such a script.

This is just a pathetic attempt to avoid responsibility. AJ, if you really wanted to comply with the US companies, you never would have subbed Ninja Scroll, and you would cease subbing any other liscensed projects you are working on - and you wouldn't start subbing any other known co-produced shows.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 30