• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Article on Anime Junkies

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiresias

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to know that I finally got something right (talking about the reason for leaving off name). And you're right, in this case not completely crediting the source does tend to reduce the overall credibility. But in this case, I think it didn't need to know the person it came from. The very fact that the e-mail was sent to UV at all was enough of a source crediting for me.

Last edited by Tiresias on Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
shintopriestess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Now I can appreciate the thread and link to UV's site. I mean that at least gives some redirect to UV rather than the article's pointing and repointing to internal ANN URLS.

You gave answer to part of my first response and I thank you.

But if you go down and see the article makes no mention of ANN attempting to get AJ's side or to clarify their stance on the issue. I mean in thise entire thread both dual sides from FANS have been stated from hate to love of AJ to disliking AJ's policy.

I know from Ter's response's 'yes this is an editorial' and 'yes he can express his opinion'. But, even an editorial good or bad should express both yin and yang to the statement of, "Unethical Fansubbers". I mean really I've only been collecting fansubs for two years now. I've been in and hung out in well over 90 channels and AJ is hardly the 'bad boys' of the group for continual fansubbing titles after getting licensed.

A good point is "Shaman King" which right when the series is at its last 2/3 episodes for release the US company says "Hey we got it". The fansubbers begged and pleaded for the groups to finish the series because they had been following the story faithfully since initial release. The fansub groups in their glory completed the release's for the fans by the fans. By the same context they all were "Unethical Fansubbers" because they did it. Though the fans asked and pleaded so it was done.

Without fansubbers and good or negative people like killshok who have been doing this for awhile are still fans of anime. No matter personality, grudges or anything. We all get spiteful of a fansub group and no I dont have AJ's full track record since I'm only two years into collecting fansubs. But if it wasnt for the groups like AJ I wouldnt be spending 80 dollars a week buying Full Metal Panic, Chobits, Hack, etc.

The US may be capitalism but the fan's arent.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Hawkell wrote:

Not sure why my comment on page 25 brought up no replies, perhaps to long winded for most people to bother reading ;p.

The biggest reason is because a similar comment was made back around page 18 that I responed to.

Cassandra wrote:

Can we lock this thread now? It's blatantly obvious that the morons have taken it over.

I would not go as far as to say that, however it is clear that nothing new is being said. Also, some of the post are starting to become rude.

Tempest wrote:

I fully expected to need to lock the thread much earlier.

I agree with you, normaly threads like this tend to be locked about page 15.

I've said about all I can say on the subject, and after reviewing the entire thread it is quite clear that we are at the point were we are beating a dead horse - most of the newer posts are in responce to people who post without reading the thread.
AchtungAffen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:29 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
I see no one has taken me up on my challenge and has giving a example of a Fansub that was better then the r1 commercial release that wanst dub only.

Come on I am waiting.

If fansubs are so much better show me a example just one thats all im waiting for. You can come up with just one title cant you?.

What about the first release of the Eva 1st DVD? Those plaques were unforgivable.
riflesux

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I am an american soldier serving in Iraq, and while checking up on the Anime Junkies site I saw their response to the article posted here.

I just recently discovered fansubs, and began downloading them. While Anime Junkies is not my favorite, or even preferred fan subbing group, they are the only fansubbing group to have kept up with the Japanese airings of Gundam: SEED.

I have to say that, in my own opinion Fansubs are ethical. As for a Fansub group getting paid or "hits" on their website, until bit torrent came out, i never went to their website, why should I, when the files i wanted were on mIRC? I happen to like using bit torrent, since, when i was in the States, I ran on cable internet and it was easier for me than waiting in a queue for a download, and i don't mind uploading at the same time. Many of the users in the AJ channel on mIRC don't like Bit Torrent and don't use it. The question is, What does a fansub group get out of producing Fansubs? Yes some Fansub sites have links that they most likely get paid for having people follow, but i haven't seen any of those on AJ's site.

As for the Anime Industry in North America... Why am i paying $10-15 more for an anime DVD that is only half as long as a Movie? And what is with those voice actors? There was a day when I couldn't imagine watching subbed anime, but now i prefer it... Much of the English voice acting is HORRIBLE, and the sub titles, on a "proffesional licensed product" aren't always the greatest either. I, as a fan, DEMAND quality. And when i have the time i will be learning Japanese, so that i can cut out the American Anime Industry. I am tired of being ripped off for a second class product.

If a small group of people, using their own time and resources can give me faster and better products at a cheaper price (can't get much cheaper than FREE) I have a right to go to them, THAT is capitalism.

Compare the number of available fansubs to the number of available titles on DVD, there is a vast difference in the numbers.

The issue here isn't just Anime Junkies, it is fansubbing in general. The industry wants it wipped out. When there is only on source for a product or service that is called a monopoly, and THAT is illeagle in America.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:43 pm Reply with quote
riflesux wrote:
The issue here isn't just Anime Junkies, it is fansubbing in general. The industry wants it wipped out. When there is only on source for a product or service that is called a monopoly, and THAT is illeagle in America.

The following companies have all licensed and distributed multiple Anime in America.

Right Stuf
ADV Films
Bandai
AnimEigo
FUNimation
4Kids
Pioneer
Media Blasters
Central Park Media
Tokyopop
Manga Entertainment
NuTech
Viz
Sony/Tristar
Walt Disney

In addition there is a large number of companies that have licensed 1 or two titles. There is no Monopoly.

Quote:

I have a right to go to them, THAT is capitalism.

1) No you don't, I dare you to find that "right" in the constitution. And no, it isn't capitalism, it's piracy. Capitalism allows companies and individuals to compete for market share without significant government intervention as long as their practices are Legal.

Quote:
The issue here isn't just Anime Junkies, it is fansubbing in general. The industry wants it wipped out.

As a blanket statement that is false. True, there are some in the industry that want fansubs wiped out, but there are others that support it. See Urban Vision's statement regarding fansubing here: http://boards.gamers.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=uvboard&id=zzzyl to see an example of a company that does not want to see fansubs wiped out.

Quote:

The issue here isn't just Anime Junkies, it is fansubbing in general.

No, the issue here isn't just Anime Junkies, but nor is it "fansubbing in general." It's Unethical Fansubers as exemplified by Anime Junkies fansubs of licensed titles and their extremely rude behaviour.

Quote:

I, as a fan, DEMAND quality.

I demand a Ferrari too.

Seriously though, I think you are entitled to quality. But lack of a quality product, when we are talking about something not necessary for your life, doesn't give you the right to break the law in order to aquire it. If you needed food, or medicine for your sick wife, then I'd say "Go out and Steal it" if there was no other way (personally your time would be better spend demanding medicare from your government ratehr than demanding Anime from Private companies), but Anime is a luxury, not a staple.

Furthermore, "quality" is subjective. You can demand all you want, if other people are satisfied it just shows that your demands are unreasonable.

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
AchtungAffen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
No, the issue here isn't just Anime Junkies, but nor is it "fansubbing in general. It's Unethical Fansubers as exemplified by Anime Junkies fansubs of licensed titles and their extremely rude behaviour.

And that is the biggest hypocrisy I ever heard. Its unethical to fansub an 'american licensed' title, but its not unethical to override the copyrights of the original author... just because it hurts the industry in america is a crime, but if it hurts only that of japan its ok??? How's this?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:59 pm Reply with quote
AchtungAffen wrote:
Tempest wrote:
No, the issue here isn't just Anime Junkies, but nor is it "fansubbing in general. It's Unethical Fansubers as exemplified by Anime Junkies fansubs of licensed titles and their extremely rude behaviour.

And that is the biggest hypocrisy I ever heard. Its unethical to fansub an 'american licensed' title, but its not unethical to override the copyrights of the original author... just because it hurts the industry in america is a crime, but if it hurts only that of japan its ok??? How's this?

There's a thread for this already, it's here. [edit: URL Fixed]
ExeterBlue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Basically i understand the law and it is technically a crime to distribute it since it has a license int he U.S. but at the same time....am i glad they are going to continue....survey says....HELL YEAH! i mean Juuni Kokki has been licensed for a very long time....it got licensed when like ep 16 was released i believe and now its up to 35 i believe...and the same thing happened with FMP... This isn't a new problem and i understand that it's illegal..."unethical" thats something that each person must decide for themselves.. it sucks when a series gets licensed and i have to wait a few years to finish it...so usually ill dl the fansubs and finish watching it, and even though ninja scroll is already a popular series im sure fansubs will help sales since most polls show a lot of fans will watch subs then buy the dvds when they come out in america....on another note something that discourages me from buying anime is the horrible dubs that i see on telivision that make me wants to bludgeon myself to death with a dull object...like hack....and kenshin....those too are horrible so i can see if someone saw them on tv why they might go look for a sub....so it's technically illegal but so is downloading music and most people seem to have no reguard for that law so oh well
oh and AJ is one of the most hated groups as it is...because people believe their translations on the best which i dont really agree with since they release fast and if they make mistakes oh well not like they are getting paid
bob-san

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I just wanna post my few cents before this one's closed down.

I've read the email and many of the posts here (Though not all, so please excuse me if I missed something that I bring up here Anime smile )

Now I know little about Anime Junkie's 'reputation' or anything of the sort. I'm not posting to argue for or againts the group's reputation.

My question is actually in regards to the letter that was sent to UV.

Who exactly sent that letter?
Was it the views of the entire fan subbing group? Or just one very irritable member?

Now I get several different series from AJ. From what I can tell, the quality of their work seems good (not counting translations. Since I know little to no Japanese, I cannot comment on that). I'm at a loss as to why people bash them.

Can someone please elaborate on this for me?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:54 pm Reply with quote
AchtungAffen wrote:
But screw those with the ethical whine 'Don't fansub American-licensed anime titles'. I wont. Intl groups WONT. The world is not America. And don't expect me to buy one of your American-licensed anime releases, because I won't pay for a dub, I won't pay for a DVD that has as its default audio track english, because I refuse to watch anime in another language that is not japanese.

What about thyings like Armitage III polymatrix, or Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, where the audio IS English, as a preference of the director?

Oh and boo hoo, you can change the audio in the set up. The reason it's usually a "default" is because more people watch them.

You miss the point that fansubs were in ENGLISH for the entire promotion of Anime in ENGLISH SPEAKING markets. Start sweedish/whatever subtitling groups.

Oh, and on the other hand, yesterday the bebop movie got released in Australia about 2 weeks before the US. I'll have you know, that the movie has polish, sweedish, as well as plenty of othe languages as their subs, so you have no reason to have the cowboy bebop movie on fansub if you use the whole "ITS NOT IN MY LANGUAGE" excuse
Kaorimoch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:09 pm Reply with quote
bob-san wrote:
My question is actually in regards to the letter that was sent to UV. Who exactly sent that letter?

Killshok, head of AnimeJunkies. He runs the show there. How do I know this? I visited the channel when all this hit the fan and it was said there in the channel. Its quite fun to visit channels of fansub groups caught in a controversy. I was there when Aku was kicked off ETG. Anyway, you are quite welcome to go and ask them if you want to prove if for yourself, but they kick/ban/abuse anyone who asks these sorts of questions.

Lots of people are saying the email was doctored, but really, they haven't said they didn't send it and they would have if they felt that way. Its the real deal.

bob-san wrote:
Was it the views of the entire fan subbing group? Or just one very irritable member?

Killshok IS Animejunkies. He's always irritable. I just read last week that he fired another editor there. I think only 2 other people there are permanents. The rest come and go according to the will of Killshok.

bob-san wrote:
I'm at a loss as to why people bash them. Can someone please elaborate on this for me?

You have 27...no 28 pages of elaboration. You mentioned you didn't read everything? Now is your chance.
AchtungAffen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

What about thyings like Armitage III polymatrix, or Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, where the audio IS English, as a preference of the director?

Those are the original languages, that's ok. Although not OK with Armitage III, wich is a mixup. The ovas though come in japanese.

Quote:
Oh and boo hoo, you can change the audio in the set up. The reason it's usually a "default" is because more people watch them.

I know, but I shouldn't have. Its a cultural thing I guess. There are countries where there is a subtitle culture. You go to rentals and you won't find dubs of any kind, all in original languages and subtitled if its necessary. Of course the few DVDs produced in my country (movies only, not many animation, and in any case the only japanese is pokemon) come with original language as default, unless its a kiddy thing like pokemon. You wont find dubs in the cinemas also. Its like there are countries were people is more open-minded on languages.

Quote:
You miss the point that fansubs were in ENGLISH for the entire promotion of Anime in ENGLISH SPEAKING markets. Start sweedish/whatever subtitling groups.

Oh, there are, and perhaps even bigger. Check this out:
[EDITED - No linking to other fansub groups than those previously mentioned. -C]
Put where it says "Titulos" wait till it loads, and see all those who have the tag "Terminado" are subtitled. Most of them are bootlegs, some are on the net for free.

Quote:
Oh, and on the other hand, yesterday the bebop movie got released in Australia about 2 weeks before the US. I'll have you know, that the movie has polish, sweedish, as well as plenty of othe languages as their subs, so you have no reason to have the cowboy bebop movie on fansub if you use the whole "ITS NOT IN MY LANGUAGE" excuse

Yeah, but how much are you paying for dubs? I bet there is an english dub at least... even if it has a spanish dub I'd still not get it. I don't want to pay a dime for a language audio translation. I'm never going to see it. Why should I pay for it?
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:46 pm Reply with quote
AchtungAffen wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
I see no one has taken me up on my challenge and has giving a example of a Fansub that was better then the r1 commercial release that wanst dub only.

Come on I am waiting.

If fansubs are so much better show me a example just one thats all im waiting for. You can come up with just one title cant you?.

What about the first release of the Eva 1st DVD? Those plaques were unforgivable.

they did issue a remaster.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kaorimoch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:08 pm Reply with quote
AchtungAffen wrote:

Oh, there are, and perhaps even bigger. Check this out:
[EDITED - No linking to other fansub groups than those previously mentioned. -C]
Put where it says "Titulos" wait till it loads, and see all those who have the tag "Terminado" are subtitled. Most of them are bootlegs, some are on the net for free.

I don't think you should post links to bootleg sites.

EDIT - The link was removed by the admin. Cool.

Last edited by Kaorimoch on Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 30