• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Article on Anime Junkies

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AchtungAffen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:44 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
AchtungAffen wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
I see no one has taken me up on my challenge and has giving a example of a Fansub that was better then the r1 commercial release that wanst dub only.

Come on I am waiting.

If fansubs are so much better show me a example just one thats all im waiting for. You can come up with just one title cant you?.

What about the first release of the Eva 1st DVD? Those plaques were unforgivable.

they did issue a remaster.

They did after a big fuss. But what about those times, before the remaster?
That is the only one I know, because I'm not in the american dvd world since I bought GSC a long long time ago. But I bet I could find thousands if I started investigating... I think I heard something about this on Urotsukidojis DVDs... they were censored.

I'm sorry about the link. Won't happen again. Nyways, that group doesnt sell outside the country.
Yoten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:41 pm Reply with quote
One "argument" that I always get from people defending the fansubbing of licensed shows is that they're doing it for free so they're not taking any money away from the company that owns the license (in this case, the people at Anime-Kraze were my "opponents.") While that's a bunch of bull to begin with, it did get me to thinking... does anybody know of a case where one of the companies actually published projected losses due to the piracy of a licensed series? Maybe an example of that should be given to show the idiots out there that their free fansubs do have an effect on the commercial earnings of a series. Now, this has the potential to get as controversial as the music industry's loss reports, whatever your thoughts on that issue may be, but it'd be nice to have something to throw back at them when they refuse to listen to common sense.
gawdamu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I just don't understand why the creator's of the series can't have someone translate the series and then sub it on the DVDs. Hell, they could sell the thing in America before they have to go through the hassle of hiring American voice actors. I personally like hearing an Anime series in Japanese than in English. American voice actors(except for Spike Spiegel's voice) are a little too cheezy for my liking, and the American versions of Anime always have changes in their story line to fit the mouth movements. I have more Japanese anime DVDs with subtitles than I do American Anime DVDs with English voices. I love fansubs because they keep Anime creator's on their toes. If they don't want people fansubbing their series, then get a translator(or hire a couple of Fansubber's) to translate it and then sell it on DVD. I'd buy it and I'm sure all those people that download fansubbed series would too. I'd be disappointed if I didn't have the first two Macross Zero OAV's on DVD already, having to wait a year and a half just to own the English dubbed version would kill me.
Blakerson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:22 am Reply with quote
God, whichever AnimeJackass wrote that letter must feel less than fine... Way to give an already unpopular group an even more tarnished name. What a horrible repy to that letter. Which elementary school do these kids go to, again? I'll have to burn it down. Rolling Eyes
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:51 am Reply with quote
We need to lock this topic, as Cassandra said, if for no other reason that it is annoying reading through three extra pages of posts everytime I come back to this site. Tempest, Cookie there have been no original points on this topic for at least the last nine pages, including my own. The reduncy is getting annoying about a topic in which both sides feel strongly about and are not likely to change their minds, which is ultimately the only thing that this thread has proven: the fansub issue is one that completely polarizes fans and very few are likely to change their minds. We didn't even need this thread to tell us that.

Again I ask you Please lock this thread.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:59 am Reply with quote
AchtungAffen wrote:

Yeah, but how much are you paying for dubs? I bet there is an english dub at least... even if it has a spanish dub I'd still not get it. I don't want to pay a dime for a language audio translation. I'm never going to see it. Why should I pay for it?

It has the original Japanese audio on it you bafoon. You're paying for the movie, not JUST the translation. No one is forcing you to watch the dubs, hence why they have the original japanese audio.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:18 am Reply with quote
Coral Skipper wrote:
We need to lock this topic, as Cassandra said, if for no other reason that it is annoying reading through three extra pages of posts everytime I come back to this site.

I disagree. If the subject is tiring you, pay no more attention to it. Others are a bit later to the party, and they should have the opportunity to comment.

After 426 replies and 34,588 page views, do you really believe that nothing's been achieved? At the absolute minimum, people have had the chance to consider (and perhaps question) their own opinions of Anime Junkies' fansubbing policies. But considering the amount of back-and-forth discussion, I think the thread achieved much more. (Sorry, I don't have time to go back through right now.) Meaningful discussion is never a waste of time.

Some anime websites won't even allow this type of exchange to take place. I'm thankful that ANN is more accommodating and that (somewhat) level-headed posting has allowed the dialogue to continue. Perhaps in a few days the topic will fade away, and you'll no longer be "annoyed." But until then, be patient and don't deny others the chance to contribute thoughts.

-Miagi
Kaorimoch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:38 am Reply with quote
gawdamu wrote:
I have more Japanese anime DVDs with subtitles than I do American Anime DVDs with English voices.

That sentence strikes me as odd. Truth is, until recently, the Japanese anime market simply didn't accomodate much for foreign markets (another reason why ethical fansubbing existed). I know of about 5 series that were released in Japan with English subs so either you have about 4 or less US anime DVDs or the 'Japanese' DVDs you own also have Chinese subs, are Region-Free, with photocopied jackets and ugly yellow poorly translated subs originating from less than legal sources.

It would be nice if Japanese anime companies released more DVDs with english subs, but it would really rip a hole in our wallets paying Japanese DVD prices WITH shipping. Thats the price of being an anime fan I suppose. But it would save the countless lives of fans who would rather bash their head in with a crowbar than be forced to sit and watch a dub.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:03 am Reply with quote
Kaorimoch wrote:
But it would save the countless lives of fans who would rather bash their head in with a crowbar than be forced to sit and watch a dub.

You know, there is a reason they're multilingual. I'll let you figure out why.

besides, no one forces you to do anything.
Risky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:11 am Reply with quote
Hello everybody... I'm an oppinionated ::glances at forum rules... no swearing? Aww... shucks?:: so-and-so. So and so. Lacks a certain zing. This communicating on a polite level is gonna be a stretch.

Anyway. My 2 cents. It's Canadian funds, so it's really not worth all that much, but there's a shock, since the number of oppinions already thrown onto this thread is so astronomically huge I must be repeating SOMEBODY. But it's against my nature not to say it my own way.

Ur... Is this what most topics here degenerate into?

Anyway. For the time being, at least, the fansubber has very little place in the world. Other than letting you watch the occasional show that's so wierd/freaky/offensive to western values that nobody would touch it for fear of poor sales/damage to corporate image/members of staff being burned in effegy (effagy? effigey? effigy? you know... they make a doll to look like you and then burn it).... The fansubber hasn't got a lot of place in the world. For the moment. I mean, I look around, and Hellsing is missing about four seconds of animation, Alien 9 just came out with remarkably little localization (particularly the manga one. Unflopped? Is that REALLY Central Park Media bringing it out?)... ADV FINALLY is making moves towards putting out the rest of Sakura Wars, and Hellsing came west with very little censorship. We've finally caught up, for the moment, with what is available in Japan from Gainax (though the Directors Cut Evangelion eps would be nice to see, and we're still a season behind on Mahoromatic), and from Ghibli (though I think we're still missing Laputa. Bit out of the loop on such things, though. Will be caught up by next Animethon for sure). Commercial anime is better and more diverse than ever. Though the covers to the disks/tapes still mostly suck. And I was forced to switch to DVD because it's near impossible to find subbed tapes anymore. It's better anyway.

That said. It is not inconcievable that anime may one day go the way video games used to be (and still are in some cases), with dubbing as the only sound option, minor script changes in nearly everything and major script changes in a lot of things, localised as... fudge. You know. Because fudge is a lot different in region 2. They localize it when they bring it out up here.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a point here and you guys are all smart enough to figure out what it is without me having to come out and say it.

Oh. I guess fansubs got me into Cowboy Beebop. And Risky Safety. And Hanaukyo Maids. TV turned me right off Gundam and Escaflowne (Juuni Kokki's BETTER!) and Pokemon and Digimon. I hear this rumour that the US cartoon network does Cowboy Beebop and Outlaw Star...

A show that I deeply care about that I learned about from TV and cannot find a fansub version of or commercial subtitled release or even dubbed release on any permanent format: Samurai Pizza Cats. Which is too bad, because I see much evidence in my tapes of the TV series that there are missing and hacked together episodes. Two episodes actually share about ten minutes of animation, with different dialogue (so it's not that it's a flashback, it looks like something was cut out and they were trying to fill time). If ever commercial releases of anime get as bad as Pizza Cats got treated as a matter of course, I'd say let fansubs bring the localization industry down into bankruptcy and may anime forever be only the domain of the fans, never attempting to get larger than that. Seems the wind's blowing the other way for now though. If Anime Junkies really acted as depicted, at this point in history, there was just no call for it.

Next post will have an Omake Section, because I'm a freak and not being able to swear makes me write funny. Not funny haha. Please look forward to it.
shintopriestess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:31 am Reply with quote
I love reading Risky's comments.. of course I got bored in the good portions of it.

If you say fansubs dont have a place well either your not really an anime fan or your really just glancing at what fansubs have gotten out to the mainstream US.

Talking on Risky Safety: A good anime if you want to watch one about a girl desiring to kill herself.

Then theirs something fun you mention, "And I was forced to switch to DVD because it's near impossible to find subbed tapes anymore.". Your whole article/response seems to point that your fansubbing collection is more to ones you BOUGHT rather than got on the net. Since Fansubbing was mainly RP format then AVI, etc. The original 'TAPED' Fansubs were back way way when local comic conventions had bootleggers selling other groups fansubs and ripping the fansubbers off.

I have friends in Canada and they all have downloaded their fansub collections: online, IRC or BT. You reference tapes... you've got no real spot to talk about fansubbers or fansubbing because your own response place's you in the same group UV and the article this thread discussed AJ of doing.

As for your wide knowledge on the US catching up. Considering the fact the US TV airs edited japanese cartoons, a majority of the US DVD releases have incorrect translations of the characters names, body parts get edited from DBZ to Hentai.

the US is far far from allowing fans access to true japanese animeation.

If anything we could be said to getting blessed with sloppy 3rds
shintopriestess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:37 am Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Coral Skipper wrote:
We need to lock this topic, as Cassandra said, if for no other reason that it is annoying reading through three extra pages of posts everytime I come back to this site.

I disagree. If the subject is tiring you, pay no more attention to it. Others are a bit later to the party, and they should have the opportunity to comment.

After 426 replies and 34,588 page views, do you really believe that nothing's been achieved? At the absolute minimum, people have had the chance to consider (and perhaps question) their own opinions of Anime Junkies' fansubbing policies. But considering the amount of back-and-forth discussion, I think the thread achieved much more. (Sorry, I don't have time to go back through right now.) Meaningful discussion is never a waste of time.

Some anime websites won't even allow this type of exchange to take place. I'm thankful that ANN is more accommodating and that (somewhat) level-headed posting has allowed the dialogue to continue. Perhaps in a few days the topic will fade away, and you'll no longer be "annoyed." But until then, be patient and don't deny others the chance to contribute thoughts.

-Miagi

I read this, look at the article... I dont see any difference.

For the most trusted anime source this group seems to only focus on AJ like its the only group doing evil. I hate to say it but maybe this thread simply needs to be locked and maybe put a button or banner saying "ANN hates AJ click here for our feelings". I mean outside of the editor who did post an unbiased an educational link showing UV's opinion on the letter the other staff posting seem to just constantly hold remarks best suited to their own private forum on the issue.

News is news, its not one news group focused on bashing 1 group.

This article and the ANN responses (with exception noted) is no better than the Bush Administration saying theirs no WMD in Iraq still after months of searching. Only ANN is nearly saying in a stamp "AJ is a bad group who needs to be punished. All other groups are good AJ is bad.. Bad Monkey". I mean please... someone has to consider this fact.
Litbour

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:43 am Reply with quote
Hmm..been reading tis forum for a while didn't know it become so big and tis thread hit 29 pages within 3 days since i was in chalet so decided to pop in...

As for the topic of AJ and UV...we could stop tis thread no use flaming either UV or AJ or any other grps....if UV wanna sue AJ go ahead they got the rights.....but if they don't sue, it not up to us to complain why they don't sue AJ or watever....

As for fansub, i dl fansubs and buy dvds. Why? cause some anime cannot be bought in my country. The local dvd store not much of them sell anime and if they do, they selling anime like TRIGUN, SLAM DUNK, etc....all these big hit ard our country... i dont see any other anime then these....
second... there is no such thing as anime rental store here...got dvd rental but no anime.....
third....all the dvd here are R3 since i'm in asia, lucky got just one store which sell anime here but the dvd i got are all frm HONG KONG....the subbing is worst to the core....like my one piece dvd....i see the chars name change 3 times....if u say like import anime yes i try to import directly frm japan....frm CDJapan to be exact....it cost mi a bomb to get tat single piece dvd...abt $100+ in which a dvd cost $25 in tat shop...
four...Just put it tis way as mention in the early post...poor people = divx dl, rich people = dvd, it fair and square. my family income is low but i still scrap up enough money to buy dvds when possible...i dl fansub just to watch when the dvd is not out or i got no money at all.....borrow? hur i think my other friends are burning anime into VCD...somemore a dvd player was $1000++ a year ago...recently the price drop quite a bit....i knew of a friend living in UAE there not even a shop selling manga.....cause they ban manga becausethey feel all manga = hentai...tat how bad....i think the dvd anime shld be something like thoe dvd with aaddition outtakes and special stuff and it license to the dvd company and illegal for other to distrub it expect by the company...tat way the dvd will be more interesting and people will be willing to buy....
but to mi myself i oni dl not licensed fansub even if i got licensed i del it after i knew....for dvd i still continue to buy those hk dvd, first no choice, second not every one in the world is reach enough to spend money on shipping fee as i stated above for tat shipping i spend, third dvd still rox....watching anime on tv tat is like 30" is better then watching it on a 17" monitor screen and may experience graphic problem or lag and maybe hang for some people whose com not up to spec
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:57 am Reply with quote
Miagi,

Actually, we closed that particular thread. Another had been ongoing for several days in the off-topic forum.

But why don't we allow fansub/digisub discussion on the forums?

a) the arguments are all the same. Nothing offered in this thread is any different really than the past 10 years of arguments, much like sub vs. dub.

b) we're NOT a general anime site, but rather focused on DVDs and legal products. We don't review fansubs/digisubs, sonmay cds, etc.

Fansub and sub/dub arguments are just the same as religious/political discussions. Nobody gives ground, nobody changes their mind, nobody says, "aha, you may be right, let me rethink my position". There's plenty of other places where people can dicsuss it, it doesn't need to infect each and every forum out there.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:22 am Reply with quote
I think it's time to lock this thread.

As I said a few pages back, I really expected to need to lock the thread much earlier, but the conversation remained fairly level headed.

But as Chris Beveridge said, there's very little "aha, you may be right, let me rethink my position" going on. Particularly towards the end of the trhead most people have been repeating the same old arguements or defending them.

But, a few good points have been made here, perhaps the one that made me think the most was the international issue. I'll be addressing soem of the better points made (both here and via e-mail) in a follow up article later this weekend.

But, beyond this, it really is time to get on with things, I have no intention of letting the fansub discussion dominate this forum on any sort of long term basis.

Thank you and good night.

-t
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 30