• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Build-A-Ninja Sweepstakes!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
OtacontheOtaku wrote:
Well, the contest has come and gone and I want to thank ANN and it's staff for allowing me to compete in it Anime smile. I'm an avid Naruto fan and have been so for almost four years now, so naturally I wanted to create something that felt like it was from Kishimoto's world. Tokimaru took a great deal of work, but it was obviously more than worth it. Thanks to the people who liked my work (especially tengu_monkey Anime hyper), I'm glad to be able to share the Naruto-fandom with so many different people Anime smile.

Dude, you're God to me. I worship your picture every chance I get, because the way you drew is how I've wanted to draw all my life.

How do you do it? Every day I sit in the back of class and try to draw, but my drawing turns out to be a pile of crap you'd find on the side of the road.

Good job, dude. Freakin' amazing. Tokimaru makes me wanna LALA, in the kitchen on the floor.
OtacontheOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Heh, you really are too kind. I've actually never gone to any kind of drawing classes before. I just read ever single manga I find and watch all the anime out there that I think is good. After that I just kept practicing. I still have errors in my anatomy that I'm still trying to hammer out, but that just comes with practice. Every single artist says it, "Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, and when you're done practicing, practice 10 times more just to be sure". Those words can be hard to swallow (I know they were for me ;D) but I've come to accept it as my mantra. Something I heard that always stuck with me were the words of the father of manga, Osamu Tezuka, " To master even one tecnique, you must first practice it on a stack of paper as tall as oneself". Which might of been Tezuka's way of saying the Japanese (being the overall shorter race) somehow learn techniques quicker, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about diligence in art. In any case, yeah, just keep reading manga, watching anime, and practicing endlessly.
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
My entry was Sanzu.

I was wondering what Zac's thoughts were on it.

And, while I'm not clear on this...
do losers still get to be in this 'gallery?'
I would very much like my character
to be shown in the gallery if thats what is going on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
OtacontheOtaku wrote:
Heh, you really are too kind. I've actually never gone to any kind of drawing classes before. I just read ever single manga I find and watch all the anime out there that I think is good. After that I just kept practicing. I still have errors in my anatomy that I'm still trying to hammer out, but that just comes with practice. Every single artist says it, "Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, and when you're done practicing, practice 10 times more just to be sure". Those words can be hard to swallow (I know they were for me ;D) but I've come to accept it as my mantra. Something I heard that always stuck with me were the words of the father of manga, Osamu Tezuka, " To master even one tecnique, you must first practice it on a stack of paper as tall as oneself". Which might of been Tezuka's way of saying the Japanese (being the overall shorter race) somehow learn techniques quicker, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about diligence in art. In any case, yeah, just keep reading manga, watching anime, and practicing endlessly.

Ok. Well that's the secret. Just practicing 'till you can't feel your nipples anymore. And reading endless volumes of manga. I haven't read much manga myself, but I guess I will be in the from now on.

By the way, have I told you that you're God?
Prax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
OtacontheOtaku wrote:
I've actually never gone to any kind of drawing classes before.

Wow, that's pretty awesome to be able to just teach yourself without taking any art classes. I mean.. I at least took art all throughout highschool (although art teachers never really "appreciated" my anime style.. >.> ... I liked using the supplies for free though). I'm very impressed that you took the time and effort to make it look like the databook. I just keep thinking "damn.. I should have done that.. It's such an obviously awesome idea!" (and instead, I just drew the stat octagons alone XD).

The practicing thing is true though. I've pretty much been doodling my whole life. Of course, there's also the raw-talent factor. It's hard on the ego to see a bunch of people 2/3 my age that only started drawing a couple of years ago totally excel and surpass me far beyond what I could ever achieve. ^^; Well, we all try our best, and that's what counts! *cough*

Cheesemon wrote:
I was reeeeeally amazed at the quality of these pictures. I mean, the prize was only around $80, but people were going at it like it was a trip to Tokyo. Maybe it was $80 + PRIDE. ;) These entries also ended the myth that you have to be Japanese in order to draw like a Japanese.

While all the were spectacular, I really like the last two who had added a little more silliness and fun to the contest.

Hey, $80 US is a lot of money (to me)! Also, I rarely win anything. I'm just so hyped that I got to win something for once just by doing my favourite hobby.

Oh, and because I have this gnawing feeling in the back of my mind that no one bothered to get the joke behind Team PRL and the awesomeness of my siblings, I HAVE to post this description I sent *has some sort of compulsive disorder probably xD*. Having Team PRL getting a prize for being a giant inside joke is the best experience ever.

Sorry about the length ahead of time--but it's really a lot shorter than my other one!:

Prax
---------------------------------
Sex: Female
Hair: Dark brown
Eyes: brown
Skin: peach
Height: 5' 4"
Weight: “big-boned”
Birthday: July 28
Village: Hidden Crystal Village
Head Protector: On forehead. Has a red fire crystal on it that amplifies fire jutsu.
Personality: loud, stubborn, clever, witty, wilful, justice-seeking, self-righteous
Favourite Food: fruit, pasta, chicken, dessert, pizza
Least Favoured Food: red meat, seafood, bitter food
Hobby: drawing, making people laugh, bossing Richy and Liz around
Favourite colours: royal blue, gold
Favourite Phrase: "DUN DUN~!” <= the sound made when proudly “accomplishing” something.

Special Skills:
Bloodless Summon: This is a Kekkai Genkai that allows Prax to summon her guardian creature without using any blood (which is good, because she doesn’t like cutting herself). After preparing her guardian creature’s seal (the SABRE TIGER seal), she yells out her creature’s name and summons him. Prax’s guardian creature is named GLS (gee-ell-ess) and is a sabre-tooth tiger with wings. Prax usually leaves the fighting to GLS, which GLS usually regrets. This uses up 10% of Prax’s max stamina.

Breathless Fire: Using her head protector, Prax is able to perform fire jutsu without breathing it from her face or scorching herself. The crystal on the forehead protector channels chakra from her third eye directly and focuses it to wherever she is directing her thoughts (if her mind wanders, a bunch of things may get unintentionally burned). How much chakra she uses depends on the fire jutsu being performed and for how long.

Richy
Sex: Male
Hair: Black
Skin: tan
Height: 5' 4"
Weight: “skinny”
Birthday: July 1
Head Protector: On forehead. Has a cyan ice crystal on it that amplifies ice jutsu.
Personality: quirky, non-confrontational, unsociable, purposefully annoying
Favourite Food: greasy stuff, dessert, pizza
Least Favoured Food: spicy food (even mildly spicy), bitter food, seafood
Hobby: playing videogames, annoying Liz
Favourite colours: light blue and silver
Favourite Phrase: "That’s unfortunate.” <= says this especially to disengage from conversation (he then immediately shuts a door or walks away).

Special Skills:
Bloodless Summon: This is a Kekkai Genkai that allows Richy to summon his guardian creature without using any blood (which is good, because he gets queasy at the sight of blood and gore). After poorly drawing his guardian creature’s seal (the PHOENIX seal), he wails out his creature’s name and summons him. Richy’s guardian creature is named Hail and is a medium-sized blue phoenix. Richy usually leaves the fighting to Hail, which Hail curses him for. This uses up 10% of Richy’s max stamina.

Sweatless Ice: Using his head protector, Richy is able to perform ice jutsu without physically exerting himself (because he has low stamina). The crystal on the forehead protector channels chakra from his third eye directly and focuses it to wherever he is directing his thoughts (if his mind wanders, a bunch of things may get unintentionally frozen). How much chakra he uses depends on the ice jutsu being performed and for how long.

Liz
Sex: Female
Hair: medium brown
Skin: light peach
Height: 5' 2"
Weight: “average”
Birthday: March 3
Head Protector: On forehead. Has a blue water crystal on it that amplifies water jutsu.
Personality: spunky, sensitive, easily confused, aggressive, cute
Favourite Food: pho, steak, bacon, dessert, pizza
Least Favoured Food: seafood
Hobby: drawing, watching anime
Favourite colours: purple and blue
Favourite Phrase: "That’s so ugly!” <= says this whenever she is stupefied or is confronted with something distasteful (does not necessarily have to have anything to do with physical appearances)

Special Skills:
Bloodless Summon: This is a Kekkai Genkai that allows Liz to summon her guardian creature without using any blood (which is good, because she can’t stand pain). After preparing her guardian creature’s seal (the MINOTAUR seal), she yells out her creature’s name and summons her. Liz’s guardian creature is named Samantha (Liz often calls her “Horny”) and is a pink-haired female minotaur (pretty much making her a cow-woman). Liz usually leaves the fighting to Samantha, which makes Samantha accuse Liz of having “NO STATUS!”. This uses up 10% of Liz’s max stamina.

Wetless Water: Using her head protector, Liz is able to perform water jutsu without having to be near it or getting herself wet. The crystal on the forehead protector channels chakra from her third eye directly and focuses it to wherever she is directing her thoughts (if her mind wanders, a bunch of things may get unintentionally…wet). How much chakra she uses depends on the water jutsu being performed and for how long.

AS TEAM PRL
-----------------------------------
Other team notes:
- They all have access to chakra-guided ninja stars because they are not great aims. They act kind of like homing missiles (including in the way that homing missiles aren’t perfect aims either). Prax is probably the best one at using them because she at least tries to compensate for the aim.
- The Sacred Scroll of Hidden Crystal Village is guarded with their lives. Team PRL usually boasts about all the awesome secrets that it has and how important the scroll is (probably tempting people to swipe it from them to see what the big deal is about). However, the Sacred Scroll is not actually sacred in the traditional sense. It’s actually full of Team PRL’s doodles. However, these are doodles that represent Team PRL’s childhood memories and contain their thoughts, dreams, and aspirations. A trifle to pretty much anyone else, but to them, it is everything. *** if you were to see the original file and looked at the scroll in the picture, you will see that it is indeed full of stick people and airplanes

BACKGROUND:
It is unknown what country Team PRL comes from, but they are all related, with Prax being the eldest sister, Richy being the middle child, and Liz being the youngest. They were orphaned when Prax was 7(Richy was 6, and Liz was 2) and were found wandering the borders of the Fire Country. Their parents somehow disappeared one day from their travelling wagon, and when they woke up, all they had left was each other. They were taken into various homes but it was too much of a burden to take care of three growing children at once. By age 13, Prax took off with her siblings to live on their own.

They came up with the name Team PRL and decided to establish themselves a real home. This home became known as “Hidden Crystal Village”, but the fact is that this place doesn’t really exist. It is their fantasy village that they tell people they belong to. Because this is a fantasy village made by them, they have also entitled themselves ALL Kages of the village. This village has a population of 3—them (it has no peasant class! Yay!).

They developed their weapons and skills by scrounging while doing menial jobs to earn money and survive. They rely heavily on their fabricated positions to attain mercenary jobs. Most clients believe them to be liars, of course, but give them jobs just to test their mettle or humour them. Surprisingly, Team PRL has been able to actually accomplish a number of missions, gaining them a precarious reputation.

Prax is the cook of the family, Richy is the main caretaker of the Sacred Scroll (the only real permanent thing they have besides their cool invented ninja gear), and Liz is the housekeeper (although she hasn’t had many duties yet because they don’t really have a house yet).

To flesh out their characters a bit, here’s some dialogue:

Enemy: What? Who are you brats?
Prax: I am Prax, the Crystalkage of the Hidden Village of Crystal! Prepare yourself as you have met the most powerful shinobi of all!
Richy: And I’m Richy, the Crystalkage of Hidden Crystal Village! The most powerful ninja of Crystal Village!
Liz: And I’m Liz! Crystalkage of Hidden Crystal Village! The most powerful ninja of Crystal Village!
Richy: *to Liz* Stop being my clone!
Liz: *to Richy* SHUT-UP! That's so ugly!
Prax: *to Liz and Richy* As Crystalkage, I command you two to stop arguing and beat that guy up!
Richy: Yah, as Crsytalkage, I demand that Liz should shut up!
Liz: As Crystalkage, I demand that Richy is stupid! XO
Enemy: … what? Who are you trying to fool with your stupid Kage titles?! You’re all just a bunch of idiots!
Prax: Ha! That’s where you’re wrong! As Crystalkage, I will take you down in the name of the Hidden Crystal Village!
Liz: The citizens will be pleased!
Enemy: …I’m not even going to waste my time on you fools *tries to leave*.
Richy: That’s unfortunate. :(
*FIGHT BEGINS!*
--Team PRL wins of course… because goodguys always win. :)

THE END!

- Prax, okay, I'll stop talking now. *awkward silence*
Kita

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Also, if you tell me which entry was yours, I will happily take a second look at it and let you know what I thought.

My character was named Kita. I wouldn't mind mine being displayed, but I am curious how I faired. I figured my art wouldn't stand up to the digital work, but I don't have any art programs yet. Plus I thought my story was kinda weak.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/30392085/
hentaiguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Greetings once again Master Zac. I have what I believe is a reasonable and relativelty simple request beneficial to not only me, but all hopefuls of the contest. Pending the petty problems expressed in this forum from those that were in one way or another displeased I recommend a contest in the form of a poll, a democratic contest. Entries would include all entries to please those with time zones disputes. However, since, as you mentioned in a previous forum, backgrounds are commonly too lengthy this contest would be strictly artisticly based. Viewers of the sight could saunter through the gallery and place a vote for their favorite. To avoid claims of a self ambitious goal on my part I would gladly remove myself from the contest if asked to do so. However those with qualms concerning balanced artistic virtue and background stories, noticeably those that devoted the majority of their time to deepen and enrichen their character informatively are obviously at a loss with my suggestion. I do not know how to consider that in this proposal of mine. Perhaps it is not a possibility. The editors of ANN I'm sure could maybe solve that dilemma (links from character image to background story?) I do not know. However, this suggestion is merely an idea I thought might be useful to the ANN editors. Rejection of the proposal is not assailable, I would humbly except the disapproval of my idea. Just thought I'd mention it.

Thank you.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
hentaiguy wrote:
Greetings once again Master Zac. I have what I believe is a reasonable and relativelty simple request beneficial to not only me, but all hopefuls of the contest. Pending the petty problems expressed in this forum from those that were in one way or another displeased I recommend a contest in the form of a poll, a democratic contest. Entries would include all entries to please those with time zones disputes. However, since, as you mentioned in a previous forum, backgrounds are commonly too lengthy this contest would be strictly artisticly based. Viewers of the sight could saunter through the gallery and place a vote for their favorite. To avoid claims of a self ambitious goal on my part I would gladly remove myself from the contest if asked to do so. However those with qualms concerning balanced artistic virtue and background stories, noticeably those that devoted the majority of their time to deepen and enrichen their character informatively are obviously at a loss with my suggestion. I do not know how to consider that in this proposal of mine. Perhaps it is not a possibility. The editors of ANN I'm sure could maybe solve that dilemma (links from character image to background story?) I do not know. However, this suggestion is merely an idea I thought might be useful to the ANN editors. Rejection of the proposal is not assailable, I would humbly except the disapproval of my idea. Just thought I'd mention it.

Thank you.

I can already tell you this isn't gonna happen. I'm sure they've thought of this before anyway. It's just not a very good idea. Possibility of hacking scams, ballot stuffing, various other scams, people can go and get all their hundreds of internet friends to vote for them, and the voting page will be huge, people will have to look through hundreds of entries some of which will be very elaborate. Even with the links you suggested putting in, no one is going to look through all those entries. The negatives of this far outweigh the positives.

And what the hell's up with the way you talk? "Master Zac"? WTF? Sorry, you just sound kind of stuck up. Just talk normal. Btw, you used the wrong form of "except". Wink
hentaiguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...indeed I did. Correction: accept.

I appreciate your contribution to the proposal with your valid and logical points. Like I said it was only a suggestion I made as a possibility for the ANN staff, however, I posted in the forum for a reason, to get member feed back and work out problems in the suggestion. I'll attempt to mollify your doubts concerning my idea with hopefully reasonable counterarguments.

First concerning the overwhelming amount of entries: Perhaps the contest holders could attempt to narrow the field, choosing only the obvious entries for eligibility in the "election." This would regulate the amount of possible contestants and, in turn, those wondering whether or not their entry was a contender can be made aware.

Secondly, concerning the ballot stuffing and those contestants who may be untruthful enough to "go and get all their hundreds of internet friends to vote for them" perhaps it is not too farfetched to allow only those members of ANN who were members at the time of the previous contest, to vote. Or possibly limit voters to those in the contest (maybe send ballots through emails) and allow only a single vote per contestant.

The negatives of the contest (according to you PantsGoblin) have, I believe, been sufficiently polarized with my extension of the proposal. If my new suggestions are also limited and unsatisfactory to the reality of proposal please feel free to tell me or if you have more qualms, please reply and let me know. I would gladly review them as well.

As for "what the hell's up with the way I talk."

I like to call it formal diction and syntax, appropriate for the presentation of a proposal. The "Master Zac" was flattery and my personal way of refering to those with higher authority. Normal to some is not always normal to others.

Thank you.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I actually do appreciate your politeness, hentaiguy. It's rare on the internet.

As for your contest, as much as I'd like to do it, it would take a tremendous amount of time and effort I simply do not have to spare at this time. There's a chance we might be running this contest again in the future, or something very similar; if we do, I will certainly take your suggestions into consideration.
hentaiguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Zac. I am happy to suggest things if I think it will be beneficial. I had a feeling time and effort would be a factor in an immediate contest.

As for my entry, I assume I will not need to email to have it entered in the gallery later this week?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I actually do appreciate your politeness, hentaiguy. It's rare on the internet.

I can go with the other stuff as being polite, but the "Master Zac"... it really just sounded like "sucking up" to me. I've honestly never heard anyone, in both real life or on the internet, seriously refer to someone as "Master". If that really is the way he talks though then I guess it's fine. You can't disagree with me that it isn't odd to be doing it on an internet forum though.

Edit: Oh, he seems to be refering to you as just "Zac" now. So I guess it's all good.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

I can go with the other stuff as being polite, but the "Master Zac"... it really just sounded like "sucking up" to me. I've honestly never heard anyone, in both real life or on the internet, seriously refer to someone as "Master". If that really is the way he talks though then I guess it's fine. You can't disagree with me that it isn't odd to be doing it on an internet forum though.

Edit: Oh, he seems to be refering to you as just "Zac" now. So I guess it's all good.

It's weird but hey, I'm not gonna tell someone not to call me 'Master'. I'd lose my 'arrogant bastard' license if I did that. Wink
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

It's weird but hey, I'm not gonna tell someone not to call me 'Master'. I'd lose my 'arrogant bastard' license if I did that. Wink

I have to agree. The 'arrogant bastard' license is the most prized possession of a man. Once it's lost you can't get it back. It's also extremely shameful. I can understand the point Lord Zac is trying to get across.

You'd understand if you had the honor of having an 'arrogant bastard' license "PantsGoblin."

And there's nothing wrong with the way "hentaiguy" talks. I think it's kinda funny. The only thing that I think is weird about him is the name "hentai." Hentai is probably the nastiest thing out there in the anime world.
hentaiguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
No probably about it SharinganEyes92. The simple truth is that I'm a quote unquote freak. This persona is extremely effective at grabbing attention as well. Quite the effective little tool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14