• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Kuri Runnings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
So take his reviews with a grain of salt, even though he is likely correct in this case.

I LOL'd at his complaint that he gets black bars watching 16:10.

I liked Shingu, and should watch it again. As others have said, the overall impression is nice, relaxing, but not quite slice-of-life. Lots of nice cultural details if you like that sort of thing.

FLCL is undoubtedly impressive, in terms of technique and sheer density of content, but I'm beginning to think there's not as much depth to it as some claim.

I did find it interesting when the director said, in the audio commentary, that "in Japan, anything can be a god." Really helped give me an understanding of the Japanese viewpoint (i.e. animism).
seanhiruki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Alright, for all the people who dislike FLCL, Might I suggest reading Dave Riley's OtakuUSA article on it;. He describes the show perfectly;. It is basically a tale of growing up. Simple as that. It is an awesome show that should have been a 26 episode show instead of just 6
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
seanhiruki wrote:
Alright, for all the people who dislike FLCL, Might I suggest reading Dave Riley's OtakuUSA article on it;. He describes the show perfectly;. It is basically a tale of growing up. Simple as that. It is an awesome show that should have been a 26 episode show instead of just 6

Ever consider that maybe you just described the reason some aren't so hot on it? Coming of age tales make up almost 90% of anime and manga, not to mention Hollywood films, TV, novels, comics, video games, etc,. In short? It ain't so different after all, and maybe that's why some people are disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3