• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney to Release The Wind Rises in N. America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:

Ghibli doesnt use professional Voice actors either, they use Japanese celebrities. Japanese Otaku criticize ghibli movies Voice Acting for not using professional VAs either

Whaddyamean about Hideaki Anno?! Smile
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Well im not surprised that they got it but I wonder who going to be the voice cast if its someone big it mite hit a lot of theaters
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering if idiotic American adults will criticize this film for being about Japanese plains used during WWII. That's all Miyazaki needs, right? Being called a traitor by the right-wing Japanese, a "dramatizer" of horrific historical events by the Koreans, and here a terrorist in the U.S. Can't this guy ever get a break?
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Awesome!!! For a moment I was worried that they'd be tired of distributing Miyazaki's movies.

By the way, has anyone noticed that Japan is the last country in the world to have hand-drawn animation as mainstream entertainment?

I noticed that too. That's the main reason I'm a fan of Japanese animation as I'm a fan of traditional animation and not so crazy about CG animation. I'm glad Disney picked up The Wind Rises! Ghibli's easily my favorite studio. I think my friends'll be happy to hear this news!
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I'm reminded of this: Anime smile + sweatdrop

Galap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:
Awesome!!! For a moment I was worried that they'd be tired of distributing Miyazaki's movies.

By the way, has anyone noticed that Japan is the last country in the world to have hand-drawn animation as mainstream entertainment?

I noticed that too. That's the main reason I'm a fan of Japanese animation as I'm a fan of traditional animation and not so crazy about CG animation. I'm glad Disney picked up The Wind Rises! Ghibli's easily my favorite studio. I think my friends'll be happy to hear this news!

I also am a huge fan of drawn animation and very much not a fan of CG, so I'm glad that Japan still produces drawn animation. The CG is encroaching, and I hope that it doesn't consume everything like it did in most other countries.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Im sorry but that is a load of rubbish. Ghibli movies are one of the rare examples of great dubs. And I hate dubs, but I have yet to come across a Ghibli dub that was bad, and half the time, I can't even tell who did, until I look at the credits. I don't like some of the voice actors as actors, but the works on Ghibli films are just fine.

What should happen is, that anime studios should use professionals, instead using a group of ten to 20 people with absolute no talent, who are willing to read a script for a couple of hours. There is a reason a lot of people prefer subs to dubs, and your so called "professional voice actors" are a big reason for it.

Also to describe some as a professional voice actor is just insane. The term professional usually denotes a profess where technical skills must be acquired, normally through education and study, or performance in terms of acting and sports. Last time I checked there are world renowned schools for acting, music, art, and theater. Never heard of any for voice acting. Last time I checked Tiffany Grant was a "professional voice actor", which obviously had all to do with her talent, and nothing to do with the fact her husband ran ADV.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Also to describe some as a professional voice actor is just insane. The term professional usually denotes a profess where technical skills must be acquired, normally through education and study, or performance in terms of acting and sports. Last time I checked there are world renowned schools for acting, music, art, and theater. Never heard of any for voice acting. Last time I checked Tiffany Grant was a "professional voice actor", which obviously had all to do with her talent, and nothing to do with the fact her husband ran ADV.

Wow. Way to throw the entire voice acting industry under the bus.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I smell an Oscar run.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

I like both hand-drawn and CGI, and believe both are unique in their own way. Pixar is fantastic at what they do in terms of CG, as they helped make it a very mainstream animation technique, but I still believe there's a place for traditional animation, especially at Disney Animation Studios. Even John Lasseter himself has no idea why Disney would even get rid of hand-drawn altogether like they did back in 2003.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Well this should be...interesting. I still wonder how Disney plans to market this. :/

I do happen to like the Ghibli dubs with the very strong exception of Secret World of Arrietty. I saw it in Japanese first, but that's not what bothered me. I actually liked every English cast member, EXCEPT for Arrietty herself. I'm fairly certain she was voiced by the woman who plays Teddy Duncan in the sitcom Good Luck Charlie, and they had this awful tendency to fill in silences with the actress' little quips (a la old school Digimon dubs). I do sincerely hope that was a script writing fault, and not a horribly misguided attempt to shoehorn Teddy's TV persona into Arrietty.

Thankfully, I doubt the source material of The Wind Rises will lead to very many "kid-friendly" moments. Actually, is there anything in this movie for children? All the reviews I read implied otherwise.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

We still do too, but mostly on TV for new stuff. Last I checked, Family Guy was hand-drawn and mainstream. Razz

As for Disney's dubbing, they do use GOOD celebrity voice actors like Christian Bale with a couple exceptions.

I was expecting this to go to GKIDS with home video by Cinedigm like Poppy Hill. From what I've seen, this looks even less mainstream than even Poppy Hill. Maybe the Miyazaki name helped.

The Touchstone distribution is similar to Princess Mononoke's (now former) Miramax label.

With that said, it's good for a picture like this. Maybe it will play near me...
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"CrownKlown"]Im sorry but that is a load of rubbish. Ghibli movies are one of the rare examples of great dubs. And I hate dubs, but I have yet to come across a Ghibli dub that was bad, and half the time, I can't even tell who did, until I look at the credits. I don't like some of the voice actors as actors, but the works on Ghibli films are just fine

I've been through this with you before, [insult removed]. Technically, your opinions on dubbing are invalid, but I'll just debunk your idiocy.

Quote:
What should happen is, that anime studios should use professionals, instead using a group of ten to 20 people with absolute no talent, who are willing to read a script for a couple of hours. There is a reason a lot of people prefer subs to dubs, and your so called "professional voice actors" are a big reason for it.

By your logic, you should hate subs. Gosh, you're so [insult removed]. If you're a fan of subs and use the overusage argument when it comes to dubs, you're a [insult removed]. Also, they do hire experienced pros in most dubs. If we had things your way, the anime industry would be way worse in North America than it already is.

Quote:

Technically a professional is somebody who gets paid to do something, but whatever. Also [insult removed], I'm talking strictly about LA. I'n only a fan of LA VAs. Some Vancouver VAs too, but I could care less about Texas, New York, Calgary or Toronto. Also, if you're not from an English speaking country, why the fudge do you care? You rarely see English speakers whine about nitpicky bullsh*t in French dubs, do you?

[Mod Edit: Start posting without insulting and attacking people or your posts will just be removed outright in the future. Continue posting in this way and your days here will also be numbered. You are welcome to disagree with others and to debate and discuss, but you are expected to be civil while doing so. - Keonyn]
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

Actually, there are no countries that use hand drawn animation as mainstream entertainment. Anime for the exception of Sazae-san is digital. Hell, Wikipedia says this about Turn A Gundam.

Quote:
Turn A Gundam is also the last of the Gundam metaseries (not counting the compilations and future video game cut scenes) to be hand painted on cels. Gundam SEED, created in 2002, was the first series to use digital coloring.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
hand drawn and hand painted are two very different things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4