• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Oscar Glory for Howl's Moving Castle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aluria

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Aw..... I'm sad it didn't win. Didn't really expect it to but I'm not a Wallace and Gromet fan. Doubt I'll ever see the movie. Howl I've seen twice so far and though it was pretty but I do agree that some parts were rushed. I love the scene where Sofie enter Howl's room for the first time. His room is so cool!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camelot187757

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
Aw..... I'm sad it didn't win. Didn't really expect it to but I'm not a Wallace and Gromet fan. Doubt I'll ever see the movie. Howl I've seen twice so far and though it was pretty but I do agree that some parts were rushed. I love the scene where Sofie enter Howl's room for the first time. His room is so cool!

I'd like to add that Reese Witherspon just won against Kiera Knightly. yes Totally Blond just be the chick from Bend It Like Beckem. And Terrance Howard lost. Man sometimes...
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Reese's (yum, in both incarnations) win for her role in Walk the Line was definitely justified, she did an amazing job in that movie where as Keira Knightley's role in Pride & Prejudice was worthy of the nomination but didn't really do anything to prove itself above the other nominations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steven Hammock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I was really sad that HMC didn't win... I really disliked Wallace & Gromit... not sure why.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
animaniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I agree that howl wasn't miyazaki's best work and I liked the wallace and gromit film however I still think howl was the best animated film. I'd also like to say that corpse bride was a great film also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Well it's official: the academy has no balls. Seriously, I was considering that they may pick Crash (without a doubt the most grossly overated film of the year) but I actually thought Brokeback had it in the bag when Ang Lee won. Other than that ridiculous win, a pretty predicatable night.
Oh, and I don't mean to make two rants in one post, but how is it that Tsotsi wins an Oscar when City of God didn't even get the nod back in 2003? I know, I shouldn't compare them just because they involve crime, but still, it's crap like this that makes me pay even less attention to the awards next year.

Last edited by Kagemusha on Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Over the Hedge is NOT a remake of Pom Poko. I'm sure you meant it as a joke because you probably weren't serious. It's based on the old comic strip, Over the Hedge (which was probably brought back for the movie).
And yea, the better movie won in this category, although being nominated in it doesnt mean much(winning yes, nominated no). I absolutely hate the fact that they made a best animated feature category. It isolates the animated movies form the live action ones. If there ever is one good enough to be nominated with the live action films(like the lion king was) we would never know because instead it's stuck in that lesser category where they will nominate just about anything (shark tale was nominated last year. SHARK TALE!!It's ok but not oscar nominee worthy) It's a piece of crap category. The only good things is that the actually good movies do win and get recognition, but they just mostly nominate anything that was animated to fill up space.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Even if Wallace and Gromit didn't win I still think Corpse Bride should have won over Howl's Moving Castle. If it was just about any of Miyazaki's other films then things could have gone differently but it wasn't, it was Howl's Moving Castle, and unfortunately it just didn't deserve the award next to the competition.

Miyazaki's name on the piece, and the fact that's it's anime doesn't make it an award winner as much as some love to think so. So often fans rant about how society doesn't see anime fairly and doesn't respect it but they also fail to see the road goes both ways.

Last edited by Keonyn on Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
Nick Park's had a bad year, so an Oscar is the least he deserves.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
If there ever is one good enough to be nominated with the live action films(like the lion king was)

No, Beauty and the Beast was the only animated film nominated for Best Picture, and that was a freak occurance. The other Disney films pretty much had to make do with "Best Song" prior to the creation of Best Animated Feature.

Ideally, animated films could compete on a level playing field with live-action films for Best Picture, but, considering, in the real world, they don't really have a prayer most years, it's nice to give feature animators an award they can actually realistically win.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
If there ever is one good enough to be nominated with the live action films(like the lion king was)

No, Beauty and the Beast was the only animated film nominated for Best Picture, and that was a freak occurance. The other Disney films pretty much had to make do with "Best Song" prior to the creation of Best Animated Feature.

There was one major exception I can think of, however, in that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs won a Special Oscar for outstanding achievment the year it came out. BTW, that Special Oscar was a regular sized one, with seven little beside it (very cute - I've seen pictures of it).

Quote:
Ideally, animated films could compete on a level playing field with live-action films for Best Picture, but, considering, in the real world, they don't really have a prayer most years, it's nice to give feature animators an award they can actually realistically win.

I'm also quite glad they gave Animation a Best Picture catagory, as well Very Happy .
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
This wasn't a surprise for me. Wallace and Gromit are an institution. They deserve an Oscar. Even when they showed clips, Wallace and Gromit just looked better.

To be honest, I'm more interested as to where I can get me some of them Penguin plushies. Laughing
Akukaze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
Howl's loss wasn't very disappointing, since I definitely expected it would go to W&G, but I can't believe Good Night and Good Luck didn't get anything. At they very least it should've gotten art direction (and I think I would've died if it'd gotten best picture or director, both of which it deserved) or something.

I am glad that Brokeback didn't win best picture, because it really wasn't that great of a movie. And I haven't seen Crash, but it definitely seemed like it was the worthier of the two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hideyuki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:18 am Reply with quote
Does it really count as news if almost everyone knew it wasn't going to win? I've heared no one say that it was going to win, quite the opposite, many people said it wouldn't win...

The only movie I saw that was up for ANY award was Star Wars. Which is sort of sad, I wanted to see a couple others. Especially Brokeback.

Oh, wait, also Corpse Bride.

Wait, was Pride & Prejudice also nominated too? I saw that as well.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
Keira Knightley was up for an Oscar for her performance in Pride and Prejudice but Reese Witherspoon took it for her performance in Walk the Line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6