• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Voice Actor from Howl's Moving Castle

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I got Howl's Moving Castle this week and really enjoyed it. But those turkeys at Disney didn't acknowledge the Japanese Voice Actors. I checked ANN's encyclopedia concerning this and now I have just one question.

In the English version, Sophie is played by Jean Simmons & Emily Mortimer as the old and young Sophie respectivly. The only Japanese VA listed on ANN for Sophie was Chieko Baisho.

Does anyone know if she did both voices for young and old Sophie?

I appreciate knowing. Thanks!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
Not that I've seen or heard Howl's, but it's not uncommon for female seiyuu to play both younger and older versions of a character.

Since the voice is the same either way, all it really takes is a little vocal manipulation, which would seem pretty easy considering how high Japanese voices can get.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:45 am Reply with quote
There's a bonus feature on the DVD itself where someone (I think it's the director of the dub--I think Pete Doctor is his name? Something similar?) mentions that the original actress does in fact play both young and old Sophie. He also mentioned that part of the reason he picked Emily Mortimer to play the part of young Sophie is that he watched older movies with Jean Simmons and her voice matched pretty closely to what Ms. Simmons used to sound like when she was younger.

(As for not acknowledging VA...on a slightly unrelated note, lately Namco's games have done the opposite. The Japanese VA is credited [when selectable], but the english VA is completely ignored. Weird trend going on with the credits right now...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote
Actually the original Japanese credits are hidden on the disc. At the beginning of the movie orange titles were popping up so I turned the subtitles off and by the end of the movie the credits came up all in kanji. Then I scene accessed the credits at the end and the English credits came up. wierd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys.

I didn't watch the bonus features myself. Rolling Eyes Embarassed Half the time they get on my nerves so I've just stopped watchng them. Maybe I should start again and I'll learn something! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1