• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nyanpire The Animation's Promotional Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Hello Kitty for emokids?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow....just wow.

I knew Gonzo was desperate, but this is worse than I expected to see. By far. They say "Expect the worst & you'll never be disappointed", but I forgot about the corollary "Unless your imagination isn't good enough.", for I am quite disappointed.

I hope it sells well for them, so that they can claw their way back to a respectable standing. However, they'll always bear this ignominy.

To make a historical parallel, this show is to Gonzo as the highly-suspected pederasty with a certain king was to Julius Caesar. No matter the greatness of his further achievements, he bore that stigma to the grave. (And several thousand years later, as the history books still revel in it.)
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Hey, this looks pretty cute! It's not quite Chii's Sweet Home and not quite Cat Soup-- it looks like it will be some nice cute fun.

Quote:
To make a historical parallel, this show is to Gonzo as the highly-suspected pederasty with a certain king was to Julius Caesar. No matter the greatness of his further achievements, he bore that stigma to the grave. (And several thousand years later, as the history books still revel in it.)

Uh... perhaps you could compare it to the whole King Nicomedes thing insofar as it's pretty weird and uncharacteristic, but compared to the other stuff that both JC and Gonzo have done to make people side-eye them? Yeah, not that big a deal.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Chii's sweet... uhm... castle?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I should be glad that my flash player crashed and I haven't restarted Firefox yet...

That image from the anime info page alone is horrifying.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I hope it sells well for them, so that they can claw their way back to a respectable standing.

What makes you think they can achieve such a feat? Better think of Gonzo as another Atari or Sega, they had they moment in the spotlight and ever since are but a shadow of they former greatness.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
I hope it sells well for them, so that they can claw their way back to a respectable standing.

What makes you think they can achieve such a feat? Better think of Gonzo as another Atari or Sega, they had they moment in the spotlight and ever since are but a shadow of they former greatness.
I don't think they can, realistically, but I wish they could. A hope against hope.

I remember when I first got seriously into anime, I started watching every show Gonzo worked on because I felt assured of quality when Gonzo's name was on it. I saw some bad works, but I also saw some works that I enjoyed enough to buy & stay involved with anime, and realize that it was a medium which could offer something that American television had all but forgotten.

Now its 2011 and Gonzo's first new show in years is something so heinous that it makes even the worst Adult Swim original show look like a masterpiece.

Reality may succeed in keeping Gonzo out of the "big leagues" of anime studios forever, but I hope they can rise out of the cesspool of mediocrity they're in now. Or just go out of business...anything to avoid the shame of having to be involved with such a meritless work. Time for the corporation to buck up, or fall on its sword.
Quote:
Uh... perhaps you could compare it to the whole King Nicomedes thing insofar as it's pretty weird and uncharacteristic
No, I compare it to that alleged affair for the same reason the people of Caesar's day did--because it was considered heinously wrong, ignominious, and irredeemable. An act blighting them with a stigma so great that history will never forget. In Caesar's case the claims were never proven, and he had enough power to ensure that those claims would never seriously impede him. In Gonzo's case, well, the exact opposite has happened. They signed their name to the deed, proclaimed it to the world, and they don't have any power of which to speak.

(Sure, this post is tongue-in-cheek, but my sentiment herein isn't; that show is below reproach.)
Shunka Shuutou

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
Someone's very mad. Rolling Eyes

Nyanpire looks adorable! Looking forward to it.

Last edited by Shunka Shuutou on Thu May 05, 2011 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total
TD912

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote
A lot of people are forgetting they are also working on a new Last Exile series (which was one of their better works, IMO), and have brought back most of the original Last Exile staff, including director Koichi Chigira, character/mech designer Range Murata, and music composer Hitomi Kuroishi, so it looks like they are relatively serious about producing more anime.

Not to mention the new series that they are working on with KEI that was just announced today.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, I compare it to that alleged affair for the same reason the people of Caesar's day did--because it was considered heinously wrong, ignominious, and irredeemable. An act blighting them with a stigma so great that history will never forget. In Caesar's case the claims were never proven, and he had enough power to ensure that those claims would never seriously impede him. In Gonzo's case, well, the exact opposite has happened. They signed their name to the deed, proclaimed it to the world, and they don't have any power of which to speak.

Haha, what I'm saying is that while people like Cicero and Catullus (people who already disliked Caesar-or in Catullus' case HATED EVERYBODY IN EXISTENCE) tried to make Nicomedes a thing, on the whole it didn't really do that much to his reputation since he eventually had the responsibility of civil war and allegedly trying to become king and end the Republic on his shoulders. That little blip on his rep more or less gets left on the wayside in comparison to the other problems people already had with him. (I'm a poetry person, not a history person, but from what I recall, the only historical source for Nicomedes was Suetonius; other people more or less forget about it or don't give it more than a passing mention- even rabidly anti-Caesar writers like Lucan, who lived closer in time to Caesar than did Suetonius, ignore it in favor of playing up his greed, ego and bloodthirstiness.)

IN THE SAME WAY:

GONZO has already created Dragonaut, man. Dragonaut. How is a show about a couple of cute kitties going to ruin their reputation forever after they already have massive stinkers like that under their belt? Not to mention they've had a reputation for "bad" endings among fans for a while now. Like Caesar, their reputation is weighed down by other mitigating factors already, so this work that might "destroy" their credibility cannot really achieve that much.

(I know you're mostly kidding with the Caesar stuff, doncha worry- I'm just uber-strung out for my Roman Empire final today so I'm in full ARGUE ABOUT ROMAN HISTORY MODE. Oh yeahhh.)
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Hello Kitty for emokids?
Please tell me I'm not the only one old enough who remembers when vampires were part of the goth subculture long before 'emo' was even a word. I remember when emo was more like Weezer. Remember Weezer? More of a nerd and hipster look, even if whiny and angsty. Since then the 'emo' buzzword also assimilated goth culture into its bs catchall pseudo-subculture. So now emo steals from nerd, hipster, goth, punk, and I'm sure a few others as a catch all blanket term for kids who want to be cool yet at the some time part of some supposedly underground movement that's really mainstream as hell.

For heaven's sake they even messed up vampires with their lame Abercrombie Sparkly pseudo-pires in Twilight. At least this Nyanpire is done as a joke. Meanwhile the Twihards think their story and take on vampires is 'like omg most important thing evah'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1