• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Operation Podcast Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Ashura Danshaku wrote:
As for "Japtoons" and similar invective -- unless you are actually of Japanese ethnicity or some relevant East Asian ethnicity and have endured abuse somehow relating to anime...I really don't see where it hurts anybody.

Maybe some of your readers are Japanese American and it hurts them? Not that you would care. Rolling Eyes

Also, as a (presumably) white person, you don't get to decide what is or isn't acceptable term. 'J*p' is an ethnic slur to Japanese Americans, therefore it's unacceptable. End of story.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I listened to the first 5 minutes or so and then I realised it was about blogs. The guests seemed kind of dull and angry so I decided not to listen to the rest.

Mistake?

Probably not, since I have no interest in blogs :] I'm not going to listen just because its about some people who've said some 'controversial' things. Oh well, the quality of last weeks podcast more than makes up for this one Very Happy
Ashura Danshaku

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

Then the question is what happens to those series that aren't as smart as something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes nor as passionate as Fist of the North Star, but happen to fall short in either (or both) of those categories.

The implication appears to be that they should be unenjoyable for anyone other than anti-intellectual fetishists in search of pandering and personal gratification, because they just aren't good enough to be held in high regard as masterpieces nor passionately bad enough to be guilty pleasures.

The way you describe such types of shows, that suggests to me less in the way of degenerate otaku-pandering and more in the vein of just a generally bad show.

If something's not enjoyably campy (so-bad-it's-good) or generally regarded as high-quality (you don't have to teach Einsteinian theory to be a smart show..."smart" in my mind suggests a show that's smartly made rather than professedly intellectual. Redline, for example, is a smartly made film that's not really all that intellectual). Whether or not it engages in some kind of cynical or degenerate pandering is a secondary concern (but still important, depending on what the show represents to consumers and the industry).

Quote:
Therefore, adding the presence of any commercial pandering to that picture automatically makes them worth dismissing.

Let's not put words in my mouth here. Every show/film has bills to pay, and a few strategic nods to the target consumer base can help accomplish this. What matters is the degree to which the show relies on shameless, heavily telegraphed Internet-baiting gimmicks in order to stay relevant. The past decade is littered with shows that were nothing but otaku gimmick after otaku gimmick and suffered immensely for it. (Code Geass springs most readily to my mind...underneath its relentless barrage of stupid trick-shots and fanservice was nothing but the worst sort of idiot plot. The production issues and timeslot fiasco it ran into only embellished its fundamental flaws.)

Quote:
I'd disagree, particularly because I think there can be specific elements potentially worth salvaging even in works that fail to meet either of those standards of enjoyment and, from time to time, some people will watch those shows for reasons that aren't entirely intellectually bankrupt. What's more, even the creators may have had a degree of genuine passion and skill, regardless of the cynical exploitation of certain demographics and other signs of questionable execution on their part (or, at the very least, that of the production company involved).

I don't think most of Colony Drop disagrees with this assertion. I just think they disagree with you on the frequency with which such hidden virtue actually occurs. It's a glass half-full half-empty thing. (I don't really like that metaphor because it leaves out the question of depletion versus replenishment.)

That's part of what I was getting at with the "anime is kinda dumb" remark -- sometimes such a mediocre-looking show has more to offer you than you might think going in, but most of the time, I think a cigar is just a cigar, and a mediocre moe/harem show is just a mediocre moe/harem show. As long as you're willing to get down with that reality, there's no shame (or at least not much) in enjoying such anime.

Quote:
Higurashi comes to mind as a fairly useful example. I think that series had a good core concept, some interesting bits of characterization, established an often psychologically disturbing atmosphere and dealt with a number of very intriguing questions on a thematic level.

I was never able to get into Higurashi because Rena's voice took years off my lifespan, but my brother and CD contributor Jeff watched it, and I know a fair amount about it by way of him. From his impression (which I usually find to be in line with mine if I actually watch something he watched first), and from how you describe it, Higurashi seems to meet most of the criteria of what makes a mediocre-to-bad show by Colony Drop standards. It has an interesting premise (the Groundhog Day thing), but suffers in the actual execution, and stuff like the fetish-pandering with the psychotic female characters and Rena speaking like a demented 3-year-old just makes the show harder to love if you're not bizarrely enraptured with the novelty of the show's premise.

Quote:
I'm not going to pretend Higurashi is one of the greatest series ever made but, on the other hand, I believe it's far from being something that is only going to appeal to the worst of otaku and nobody else.

And again, I really don't think anybody at CD disagrees with your assertion. Nobody I know of at CD really has any beef with Higurashi beyond "it's not that good of a show", or holds it up as an egregious example of What's Killing Anime. We have bigger fish to fry, I think. (Any crimes against culture Higurashi commits pale in comparison to the likes of, say, Lotte no Omocha.)
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Trust me it's not that exciting

Oh yeah? Well you're not exciting at all!

That's why I have less than 30 twitter followers. The only people who want to follow me are spambots or people who follow thousands of people.

Ashura Danshaku wrote:

Ten years ago you would have been considered a pervert and/or child molester for watching this stuff (whether or not it had pervert/child-molester-friendly content) , and these days your little cousins are watching it on friggin' Toon Disney. Surely that doesn't add at least a LITTLE humor to the legacy of the term "Japtoon"?

and 10 years ago I was watching Gundam Wing on Cartoon Network, which was already a more popular channel than Toon Disney. Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon started airing on Toonami in 1998. Just check out Toonami's lineup for other anime that aired on a channel a lot popular than Toon Disney. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonami

Pokemon started to air on Kids WB in 1999.

Time Magazine ran an article on anime in 1999.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,992626-1,00.html

Anime has dropped in popularity and tv presence in those 10 years. So what great deeds have the anime fan done?
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
IkariGendo wrote:
You'd think Colonydrop was the molesting uncle from your childhood the way you keep stalking them. Most normal people that actually talk to the guys will find them a reasonably nice bunch, so I wonder who's the bigger asshole here (me, but that's besides the point)?

And why does them mentioning Redline scare you?

It's interesting to hear you say I've been stalking them. I've replied to comments they made on Twitter that were retweeted into my feed, and they decided to go on a public podcast where questions from the audience are frequently solicited. In my mind, "stalking" requires some invasion of privacy, but if engaging with people in a public forum is stalking, I am guilty as charged.

Second, thanks for the rape joke. It actually helps to flesh out my main point. In my mind, there are two kinds of comedy: The comedy of the powerful, and the comedy of the powerless. I prefer the powerless kind, where society's sacred cows are toppled, power relationships are questioned, and the status quo is shaken in the audience's mind. The comedy of the powerful likes making fun of people for being different, or being victims. It works to inculcate feelings of superiority and strengthen in-group ties, but it seems rather cruel and crass to me.

Only on the internet would this need to be said, but 16 year old boys who can only form relationships with plastic figurines of 10 year old girls are hardly "powerful". Aren't they miserable enough, by your own definitions, to kick them when they're down? Entitled fans and racist fans who don't care whether or not Japanese die are one thing, but making fun of teens' sexuality because you can is pretty thoughtlessly cruel. I expect better from people with taste.

If I seem harsh, it is only because I am in almost complete agreement with Colony Drop's goals. I've been a fan of anime for 14 years. Perhaps it was because there were fewer voices at the time, but when all we had to go on was books from Helen McCarthy or Trish Ledoux and Doug Ranney, it felt like there was a sense of community amongst anime fans. Hearing about Steve Pearl and Fred Patten gave us a feeling of fan "heritage," almost. And you could pick up an issue of Animerica and read reviews by Carl Horn and have something to think about.

It's a bit frustrating that the internet didn't bring a more intelligent conversation with more people, but a lot more noise. Instead of hundreds of blogs discussing Cowboy Bebop or Utena's follow ups, we ended up with catgirl and incest fetish shows, and blogs for catgirl fetishists and incest fetishists. I completely understand the feeling of being let down, and feeling that more fans need to learn about the history of anime. I found it tragic when Osamu Dezaki died and many admitted they did not know who he was. This alienation from the people who created the anime and manga we all profess to enjoy makes piracy and fan entitlement all the more problematic.

There are massive structural problems with the anime industry: a reliance on a market of hardcore otaku who will pay $80 for an episode on DVD; a system where sponsors call the shots, and animators work thankless hours; ambitious shows fail to live up to their potential due to budgetary or time constraints, or because fan-friendliness is preferred to risk taking.

It's an industry and a fandom ripe for criticism, for take no prisoners satire, for intellectual discourse, and for the rebuilding of a sense of community among the like-minded. A Bill Hicks or a George Carlin-style site, able to unite fans in a common purpose to support the projects that succeed while scorning the formulaic and exploitative, is not only welcome, but necessary.

That's why it's all the more tragic that Colony Drop is happy to settle with being anime's Jeff Dunham. Pulling out a gangly otaku puppet may make some people laugh, but I'm not sure everyone is laughing *with* you.

PS: Why am I afraid of them mentioning Redline? Because I really want it to do well, and I'd hate for them to jinx it.

PPS: Most normal people when approached in public face-to-face are actually nice people. You don't get a cookie for this, and this does not serve as some kind of "get out of jail free" card for being mean to people on the internet.
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
When I first starting listening to this one, I admit I was momentarily offended. I thought, "Ugh, more elitist crap, put downs, all anime except for a very few titles suck, etc." However, the longer I listened to the show, the more I realized that these guys just like to screw with people. And this is their main goal/point/objective/purpose. So when that lightbulb switched on I just started to chuckle, and enjoyed their banter. I mean, they're entitled to have their opinion(s), just like everyone else. I'm not saying I agree with what they said, or not, merely that I don't see why some people get so offended, hurt, or angry with them. Its not like they're idiots shooting their mouths off about something they know nothing about.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
Just dropping in to high five the people posting once to say, "I didn't actually listen to the podcast for more than a minute so I can say some CONTROVERSIAL guys are TOTALLY BORING, yeah that's right I'm TOO COOL for this noise. B)"

Never change, my bros, never change.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
Ashura Danshaku wrote:

The way you describe such types of shows, that suggests to me less in the way of degenerate otaku-pandering and more in the vein of just a generally bad show.

If something's not enjoyably campy (so-bad-it's-good) or generally regarded as high-quality (you don't have to teach Einsteinian theory to be a smart show..."smart" in my mind suggests a show that's smartly made rather than professedly intellectual. Redline, for example, is a smartly made film that's not really all that intellectual). Whether or not it engages in some kind of cynical or degenerate pandering is a secondary concern (but still important, depending on what the show represents to consumers and the industry).

Going by your own argument, yes, but I believe there can be, in fact, more to those "generally bad" series than what your logic suggests, considering the huge amount of possible variations within that vast shelf space.

Not even the definitions and interpretations of what qualifies as "enjoyably campy" or "smartly made" happen to be universal. After all, completely reasonable people can find M.D. Geist to be both charming and insufferable. Where do you draw the line and when does charm turn into annoyance? No matter what kind of objective criticisms can be thrown at that production, the most important decisions are often based on subjective feelings even among informed observers.

My point is this can be especially applicable to the so-called "generally bad" shows that lie somewhere between the two categories in question (so-bad-it's-good vs. high quality). The fact they are flawed is not the question, strictly speaking, but to what degree...and how each of us will arrive at that conclusion.

Quote:
What matters is the degree to which the show relies on shameless, heavily telegraphed Internet-baiting gimmicks in order to stay relevant.The past decade is littered with shows that were nothing but otaku gimmick after otaku gimmick and suffered immensely for it. (Code Geass springs most readily to my mind...underneath its relentless barrage of stupid trick-shots and fanservice was nothing but the worst sort of idiot plot. The production issues and timeslot fiasco it ran into only embellished its fundamental flaws.)

Following my previous statement, I would say the process of determining or measuring that degree is only partially objective as well. Past a certain point, simply enumerating a list of problems isn't always going to cut it. The audience isn't necessarily going to be uniformly interested in or repulsed by exactly the same things, both good and bad.

Which brings us to the next part. Despite the use of otaku gimmicks and cheap tricks that wouldn't be advisable on paper (they should be avoided for a good reason!), there were aspects of the operatic mess that was Code Geass which I genuinely appreciated as both a regular viewer and an analytical observer as opposed to a drooling fool. I personally consider it a case where inconsistent execution eventually became the bane of an admittedly fragile house of cards, but the entire exercise as I interpreted it wasn't without occasional merits. The single biggest flaw would be a lack of enough planning to properly keep the balance in check, instead of taking shortcuts and emphasizing the weakest parts of the material when that couldn't be afforded.

Quote:
I don't think most of Colony Drop disagrees with this assertion. I just think they disagree with you on the frequency with which such hidden virtue actually occurs.

As it should be relatively easy to tell by now, I think the frequency of that "virtue" isn't exactly something about which there will be an entirely objective or universal agreement. You could list ten different shows and say none of those qualify as such and yet I'd easily dare to speak out in favor of two or three despite also acknowledging many of their flaws.

Quote:
From his impression (which I usually find to be in line with mine if I actually watch something he watched first), and from how you describe it, Higurashi seems to meet most of the criteria of what makes a mediocre-to-bad show by Colony Drop standards. It has an interesting premise (the Groundhog Day thing), but suffers in the actual execution, and stuff like the fetish-pandering with the psychotic female characters and Rena speaking like a demented 3-year-old just makes the show harder to love if you're not bizarrely enraptured with the novelty of the show's premise.

It's no wonder, then, that my standards are a little more flexible (or loose, if you prefer) than Colony Drop's. I would classify Higurashi as worth watching precisely because of the ideas it introduced and the themes it played with, without denying their execution was inconsistent in terms of quality and, all in all, far from spotless.

Thus the show lacks enough verisimilitude but that doesn't mean it has nothing of interest to offer those willing to bite the bullet. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

Then again, I know the best fictional works are those that successfully combine great concepts with great execution and, moreover, mainstream audiences prefer great execution of familiar concepts to anything else, including the bad implementation of new ones. Gundam Unicorn and Tiger & Bunny (which is only "new" as far as anime goes and not all other media) are two good examples of how to move in the right direction.

If anime is to expand and grow instead of stagnate, we definitely need better execution all across the board as opposed to trying out new concepts with sloppy execution and too many compromises for the sake of attracting otaku. Having said that, the conclusion of my earlier argument is that as individuals we are free to watch more than just the very best of the best or the very worst of the worst, which includes taking our chances with the occasional mediocre or "generally bad" series.
Spark That Bled

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
I notice that, even though he claims that Colony Drop doesn't look back at the '80s and '90s as a golden age of anime where everything was perfect, he sure does seem to have an inflated opinion of the era as a whole. Many of the shows that you hold on to as marks of quality were made back then as a result of the Japanese economic bubble. You know, the one that burst some time ago? Either that, or they are still merchandise selling, focus group targeted anime designed for it's audience, and are just unusually well produced, well crafted enough to enter the public consciousness as a classic.

Despite the focus on pandering to the merchandise buying audience that anime is being saddled with right now, I still feel there's quite a bit of anime out there I've seen that manages to break free from being shackled to the biggest paying audience, some of which I know Colony Drop has covered. Even though the number of anime you might think worth watching has shrunk this past decade, possibly because anime produced per year in general has shrunk in the last decade, doesn't mean that all anime has lost that creative spirit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

They've caught the attention of many of my peers in the community, I found what they were doing to be interesting, and I thought it'd be a fun conversation. I thought it was.

My same thoughts here. It was entertaining and a very fun conversation. My only problem is these guys come off as trying way to hard to just being offensive just for the sake of it. It's all fun and entertaining for a short while but personally would never hold my interest for long at all. Being offensive and shocking can be amusing. but rarely is ever all that funny unless there is something more to be said then just pissing people off and/or offending someone. Now I have no idea of anything Colony Drop has done other then from this podcast, and If they had something a bit more intelligent to say maybe it would be more funny, but then again they are not professional comedians and do all this just for the sake of making each other laugh so by all means keep at it. Just throwing out my useless opinion here.

I'm all for offending people and pushing the limit, and if people cant take it well that's to bad. This is a free country (well for the most part) and just because someone does not like it or appreciate it does not make them bad people or ever wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
configspace

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Some people have compared Colony Drop to 4chan.. which is strange because I don't see anything alike beyond some superficial similarities. For one thing 4chan is diverse, like really totally completely diverse, containing everything that Colony Drop hates as well. The other is that serious posts that can be very offensive to some made by serious posters know they won't be taken seriously (i.e. two very different examples: indulging in a fetish and harshly critiquing some serious topic) and trolling is just trolling, which is actually much more benign compared to the self-righteous intent and anger disguised as mock-comedy jabs designed to try to "get people to think for themselves" as Ashura Danshaku mentions -- totally ironic, if not hypocritical actually.

I also have to say that I grew up watching anime in the so-called "good old times" of anime in the early 90's (actually started in the late 80's when I was a kid but never seriously until later), as seen through rose-tinted glasses by some, and I can say without a doubt, I see nothing particularly better or appealing 'bout them days.

Last edited by configspace on Sat May 07, 2011 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed listening to this podcast, mostly because I'm a fan and reader of Colony Drop. Though, I don't know where a lot of people seem to be getting the "these guys are dicks vibe" from the podcast alone. I thought they were rather mellow and chill compared to the tone of some of their blog articles. I mean, don't get me wrong, if you read the blog at face value and take some of their opinions from the podcast all at face value, I definitely see where one would get that impression. But considering that I love tongue-in-cheek and self deprecating humor, I love Colony Drop's dickish attitude.

So, for everyone who seems to have a problem with it - do you just not appreciate their brand of satire? Or is it that you are genuinely offended or off-put when people say things like "Japanese cartoons" or don't lavish obscene amounts of praise on everything that Japan puts on the market? If it's the latter - get over yourself. Seriously; cartoons don't always have to be serious business.

Spotlesseden wrote:
lol those guys are a-holes. I listen for 2mins and close the browser.

Look, people can write whatever they want on their blogs. There is no need to go the a potcast to tell people what to do. and how their blog suck or not interesting.

Hey, I didn't listen and consider every point but I feel fully qualified to express an opinion on a matter!

In one respect, I agree with you that people can write about any topic they choose to in their blog - whether it be old mecha shows, praise for nekomimi maids, or "delicious flat chest" (as I believe one of the SOS tags reads) but releasing it to the public Internet opens it to ridicule by the very nature of being public. Zac notes on the podcast that he's glad he's old enough that his embarrassing teenage angst pre-dates blogging on this scale (or something to this effect). Guess what? If you have truly private thoughts that you need to express but only want yourself as an audience, last I checked, bookshops like Barnes and Nobles still sell blank journals. Worse comes to worst, check a school or office supply store and grab a lab journal. You don't have to throw it up on the Internet.

But going beyond the simple "anyone can write about what they'd like" on the Internet, blogs have the power to be tools of great insight, even if the readership is small. I'd recommend that anyone check out the Colony Drop series where they comment on the vapidity of the anime blogosphere. Put the satire goggles on but each point they make is pretty valid that the vast majority of anime blogs are so completely under-utilized for one reason or another.

Spark That Bled wrote:
I'm glad Zac mentions the racist connotations of "Japtoons", that word that they keep on insisting that they use, and that the origin of the word was exactly how I imagined it.

"Japtoons" as a phrase has always bothered me, due to the whole usage of a racist term in order to refer to anime, even more so than "Japanimation". It sounds like something a white supremacist would use to refer to anime, and how it is poisoning our white youth and subjugating us to the yellow overlords.

Ashura Danshaku wrote:
First of all, the "Japtoon" thing. People read way too much into the self-flagellating angle "WE HATES ANIME BECAUSE WE HATES OURSELVES" on this, when really we just use it because it makes oversensitive people mad. Is that trolling? Well, duh. But we're not just doing it to get a rise out of you, we're doing it because HOPEFULLY you will see some aspect of the humor that we do in it.

I'm glad Ashura came out to explain the "Japtoon" thing - not that I was personally offended but that I'm glad it was only explicit humor for fans who aren't over-sensitive. To be fair, I still think the "Oriental Video Animation" is more clever.

Given that there are still frequent Internet discussions over what constitutes as anime (even though there is beginning to be a majority opinion), perhaps a return to a more explicit name such as Japanimation may not be such a bad idea. Compared to "Japtoon", as a veteran of the "Japanimation Times", I never saw it as racist. Maybe because literally everyone else I heard use the term said 'Japan-imation', rather than 'Japanese-animation'. Of course, the knee-jerk reaction that a lot of fans seem to have with calling anime cartoons is something that just seems completely juvenile and sophomoric to me.

Spotlesseden wrote:

they don't even know the meaning of "blog". Blog is not news article or review, Or "for people". most people write blog for them self or friends to read only like a journal.

So, I wanted to separate this from the earlier blogging comments. While yes, it is true that there are a number of personal blogs for friends and family to follow, blogs have expanded beyond that more traditional role. I'm not sure of your background but I have a technology background professionally and the number of tech folks with their own professional blogs is a sizable percentage and they can be a great resume/CV supplement.
NewAgeNewtype

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
So would the Colony Drop guys refer to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f7RfJQHilo
as N*****toons or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHB4udy4_lw
as S***toons?

only for comedic purposes of course
Spark That Bled

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:

I'm glad Ashura came out to explain the "Japtoon" thing - not that I was personally offended but that I'm glad it was only explicit humor for fans who aren't over-sensitive. To be fair, I still think the "Oriental Video Animation" is more clever.

Given that there are still frequent Internet discussions over what constitutes as anime (even though there is beginning to be a majority opinion), perhaps a return to a more explicit name such as Japanimation may not be such a bad idea. Compared to "Japtoon", as a veteran of the "Japanimation Times", I never saw it as racist. Maybe because literally everyone else I heard use the term said 'Japan-imation', rather than 'Japanese-animation'. Of course, the knee-jerk reaction that a lot of fans seem to have with calling anime cartoons is something that just seems completely juvenile and sophomoric to me.

As you are a fan and reader of Colony Drop, I'll try and make this as simple as I can: basically says that their usage of the word "Japtoons" is deliberately designed to offend anime fans. Now whether it's because fans are offended by the "Japanese" part or the "toons" part isn't for me to judge. Some fans, when they think of "cartoons", only think of juvenile Saturday morning fare like GI Joe, Thundercats or Looney Tunes, not adult like anime is perceived to be.

But for me, I hate the word "Japtoons" simply because it carries a racist term within it, and it was purposedly made to enrage anime fans. And yes, it worked, but it works not just because of the insulting implications of "toons", but the racist implications as well. At least with "Japanimation", it can be read as "JAPANimation", not "JAPanimation".

God, I sound so condescending...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:

If the word "anime" starts to lose its meaning, why not simply talk about Japanese animation or Japanese cartoons instead of using lazy and stupid sounding combined abbreviations? If words like japtoon or japanimation sound stupid to me, whose first language isn't English, I can see why native English speakers tend not to use them.

I have never read anyone using words like germovie or krautfilm when I've read about German movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9