• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Operation Podcast Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:

This is a free country

Just curious.

Does the internet only exist in 'free' countries? How many people here consider themselves as living in a 'free' country.

And of those people what country would that be?

Once we have that answer can we have show of hands which countries this community actually extends to?

The problem with the willingness to offend along with the willingness to declare ourselves at the center of things is that this community is as broad as the internet allows.

The point at which you are will to be as broad as to assume that only your version of your country's values matter, you have become so narrow as to be questionable.

I may have gone way overboard in the intent of the original posters meaning, but it illustrated to me the basic problem people have extending equality to others. People are never exactly equal but when the consideration doesn't even exist in your mind, expect an argument or worse.

Bottom line: the world is big and what goes around comes around. Sloppiness from you may lead to sloppiness towards you.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
really of everything i said you quote that?

is this better then:
The internet (as in a whole) is open and free (country) and people can say what ever it is they want as in free speech. You completely took that one little part and twisted everything around. Now if this was about a newspaper you may have had a point but were taking about a website that lives on the internet. I assumes people were savvy enough to understood what i meant in general. instead of completely blowing it way out perpetuation.

Also yes you completely went way over board and really did not understand at all what i meant. I guess i should have made that more clear.

To answer your question, yes some parts of the free and open internet is not available in china and many other dictatorship run countries. Things are censored or at least very well concealed but there are always around that. I'm not going to go into the depths of this as it is boring and no one cares.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
Ashura Danshaku wrote:
We have bigger fish to fry, I think. (Any crimes against culture Higurashi commits pale in comparison to the likes of, say, Lotte no Omocha.)

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being K-On and 10 being Kodomo no Jikan, Astarotte's Toy is a 4.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
Bonehimer wrote:
So would the Colony Drop guys refer to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f7RfJQHilo
as N*****toons or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHB4udy4_lw
as S***toons?

only for comedic purposes of course

Please tell me you're trolling.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Bonehimer wrote:
as N*****toons or
as S***toons?

Why would that be a troll? It's the same pattern of 'ethnic slur-toons' that Colony Drop used. 'J*p' is on the same level as the n-word.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:

is this better then:
The internet (as in a whole) is open and free (country) and people can say what ever it is they want as in free speech.

While you might think that all I did was blow up one 'cherry picked' and perhaps out of context piece of your statement, but IMO it actually fits in to much of the discussion over this weeks podcast.

I've never really understood the whole 'free speech' on the internet idea. Near as I can tell there are no rules granting you free speech or otherwise. Actually, IMO,freedom to speak cannot be taken away away, it's the freedom from consequences of speaking that is granted. Even that is not specifically granted on the internet, it's just easier to get a way with.

Is there any doubt the internet unleashes people. My experience is that the free speech/free country idea/defense is most often raised by people itching to 'yell fire in a crowded theater' and not deal with the consequences. The digital version of doorbell ditch, egging a house, crank calls. (Giggle giggle giggle Tee hee hee. Catch me if you can. It's my your fault for not: having a higher wall, a guard dog, a surveillance system, buying a better lock, offering an opinion or whatever rational I can think of).

It's sad how many people's actions are determined mainly by the strength of their getaway plan. Not even out of necessity, just willingness.

It can be very 'blame the victim'. When actually there is also the component of self-restraint that is missing.

BTW, I wasn't really interested in engaging you specifically. You said you were 'pro- offending' so I figured you wouldn't mind.

If I had any real criticism of your original post is that it sounds like you endorse writing a blank check for chaos, intellectually, at least.

Last edited by Cheesecracker on Sun May 08, 2011 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Bonehimer wrote:
as N*****toons or
as S***toons?

I see no difference between what he's saying and what CD used. Doesn't sound like a troll to me. More like a very good point.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:
Bonehimer wrote:
as N*****toons or
as S***toons?

I see no difference between what he's saying and what CD used. Doesn't sound like a troll to me. More like a very good point.

Comedy often houses profound truth. It's just hard to predict why people will laugh. I think that was why Dave Chappelle quit. He was trying to make (a) point(s) thru humor, but ultimately felt people were just not getting it.
NewAgeNewtype

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
CD is the Michael Richards of anime blogging.

No wait, if we go by the description provided by Daryl Surat in the previous ANNcast that the mecha fandom is the "republican party of anime fandom" that make CD(big gundam fans) the Rush Limbaugh of anime blogging. No real racism is going on you see, its all parody and satire.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

is this better then:
The internet (as in a whole) is open and free (country) and people can say what ever it is they want as in free speech.

While you might think that all I did was blow up one 'cherry picked' and perhaps out of context piece of your statement, but IMO it actually fits in to much of the discussion over this weeks podcast.

I've never really understood the whole 'free speech' on the internet idea. Near as I can tell there are no rules granting you free speech or otherwise. Actually, IMO,freedom to speak cannot be taken away away, it's the freedom from consequences of speaking that is granted. Even that is not specifically granted on the internet, it's just easier to get a way with.

Is there any doubt the internet unleashes people. My experience is that the free speech/free country idea/defense is most often raised by people itching to 'yell fire in a crowded theater' and not deal with the consequences. The digital version of doorbell ditch, egging a house, crank calls. (Giggle giggle giggle Tee hee hee. Catch me if you can. It's my your fault for not: having a higher wall, a guard dog, a surveillance system, buying a better lock, offering an opinion or whatever rational I can think of).

It's sad how many people's actions are determined mainly by the strength of their getaway plan. Not even out of necessity, just willingness.

It can be very 'blame the victim'. When actually there is also the component of self-restraint that is missing.

BTW, I wasn't really interested in engaging you specifically. You said you were 'pro- offending' so I figured you wouldn't mind.

If I had any real criticism of your original post is that it sounds like you endorse writing a blank check for chaos, intellectually, at least.

I'm fine with criticism but your not understanding my statements. And trying to argue about something I'm not sure you understand much about. I'm for pissing off and offending people for the mere point of entertaining ones self, because that is basically what original vision of what the early days were all about and still is today. Ok, it wasn't about annoying people for no reason but if I were to believe that I was against that I would be going against everything I stand for.

I may not agree with what someone does but I'm all for someone to talk or write about it. Without that freedom on the internet you destroy everything that is creative and unique online. I can go on for pages and pages about this but I really do not think anyone wants to get into this. I'm a strong advocate of keeping the internet open and free. With that said I'll leave you with this quote from http://www.openinternet.gov

And yes I'm all for chaos when it comes to anonymity online as long as it's not harmful to anyone or anyone is endangered.

Quote:
Why has the Internet proved to be such a powerful engine for creativity, innovation, and economic growth? A big part of the answer traces back to one key decision by the Internet’s original architects: to make the Internet an open system.
http://www.openinternet.gov/read-speech.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:

I'm fine with criticism but your not understanding my statements.

I'm not trying to. I said I wasn't really trying to engage you specifically. From my first post quoting you I stated that what I was saying had little to do with what you were saying. With that point made, your next statement is not relevant to what I'm saying.

jsc315 wrote:

And trying to argue about something I'm not sure you understand much about.

jsc315 wrote:

I'm for pissing off and offending people for the mere point of entertaining ones self, because that is basically what original vision of what the early days were all about and still is today. Ok, it wasn't about annoying people for no reason but if I were to believe that I was against that I would be going against everything I stand for.

I may not agree with what someone does but I'm all for someone to talk or write about it. Without that freedom on the internet you destroy everything that is creative and unique online. I can go on for pages and pages about this but I really do not think anyone wants to get into this. I'm a strong advocate of keeping the internet open and free. With that said I'll leave you with this quote from http://www.openinternet.gov

And yes I'm all for chaos when it comes to anonymity online as long as it's not harmful to anyone or anyone is endangered.

Quote:
Why has the Internet proved to be such a powerful engine for creativity, innovation, and economic growth? A big part of the answer traces back to one key decision by the Internet’s original architects: to make the Internet an open system.
http://www.openinternet.gov/read-speech.html

You lose me when you say the original and current vision is to piss people off, but not really , but you'll go with it anyway because it fits better into your world view. Confused

Why even cite the tenets of someone else's beliefs, whomever they may be, while stating that free and creative thought are so important. Free thinking would not rely on anyone's opinion to justify itself it would just do what it wants.

Chaos has impact but no aim, other than to have impact. It's true that randomness can yield happy accidents, but it's not controllable and hardly of any value as a plan. Also, you say that chaos is good as long as no one gets hurt. That's not a how chaos works. Calculated chaos is an oxymoron. The locks on our doors are proof enough to me that no one really welcomes chaos.

That's it for me. I yield the floor. Go, be chaotic in this free and open place before the Moderators come and tell us that playtime is over. I'm glad, without sarcasm, that someone has the ability to do so.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
well what i quoted has a lot of relevance to everything here. Not to just what I said but to this whole thread. It's the internet, no one gets hurt other then their feelings, and the people Colony Drop make fun of really is nothing new at all. They are making fun of people being stupid and entertaining themselves from it. It really is not that big of a deal.

My whole point is that the internet was basically born from the openness and freedom of being able to do, say or create anything we want on the internet. If you were to take Colony Drop or any site away for just something they said that would completely destroy everything about the internet as a whole and then anyone can be shut down or censored for the simplest reasons. You loose creativity and innovation even if you stop the annoying, stupid, ignorant, moronic and dumb ideas. Just because I don't like them does not mean I should hate them or want them gone. It's not because it does not fit my ideals its because it's wrong.

If my statement and quote have no relevance then you are far from understanding anything i said at all. The reason I picked that quote is because this is the whole reason why we are even having this conversation in the first place. I'm sorry if you can't understand that, but we both are having two different conversations here and I'm just going in circles trying to explain myself.
Spark That Bled

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:05 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
My whole point is that the internet was basically born from the openness and freedom of being able to do, say or create anything we want on the internet. If you were to take Colony Drop or any site away for just something they said that would completely destroy everything about the internet as a whole and then anyone can be shut down or censored for the simplest reasons. You loose creativity and innovation even if you stop the annoying, stupid, ignorant, moronic and dumb ideas. Just because I don't like them does not mean I should hate them or want them gone. It's not because it does not fit my ideals its because it's wrong.

The problem is that, going by the tenets of free speech, while we might not be able to try and censor Colony Drop in any way, we are free to criticise them for their faults whenever we see them. That's how free speech works, especially on the Internet.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Ashura Danshaku wrote:
This is especially important given how kids enter anime NOW versus how they did Back in My Day. Moreso than ever, it seems to us like (English-speaking) anime fandom is based less on critical appreciation of the shows being produced, and more about integrating oneself into the orthodoxy of the subculture. This, to me, is the root of a lot of our problems with fansub translations (which, like "Japtoons", is a point we stand firm on).

I think this is a great point. But I just have a few reactions/observations:

1. Irony much? By this I mean in essence Colony Drop is just the mouthpiece of another social institution, perhaps one that is nowadays underrepresented. It feels like just another ideology, another orthodoxy.
2. This is pretty much a process not just for anime fans, but almost all fandoms and even many organizations unrelated to that category of social arrangements. Of varying degrees, but it's there.
3. The Colony Drop moniker makes a lot of sense from this angle. But really, while Zeons are always cooler and better than the Feddies, they were just as bad.

I guess if I had to give it props, it would be taking your internet version of children's playground political dynamics a polish and raising it by 20-30 years. Not easy, and sadly it may be trying to do something that just isn't needed.

Like typical 4chan/goon-related efforts, though, I think the ultimate redeeming point is that the CD guys are all nice guys. But that's besides the point of analyzing things based on "critical appreciation" and stuff like that.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Ashura Danshaku wrote:
We have bigger fish to fry, I think. (Any crimes against culture Higurashi commits pale in comparison to the likes of, say, Lotte no Omocha.)

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being K-On and 10 being Kodomo no Jikan, Astarotte's Toy is a 4.

I didn't like the first episode of Lotte no Omocha, for reasons completely different from the moralists, but the series has turned out to be surprisingly good and sweet series since then and no where near a loli fanservice fest that some imagine it to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9