• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Officially Announces Bleach Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sorvani

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
The studios won't do it because they are afraid of back importing, but if they set it up so that it can only be bought from any Japanese shop, or on line store, that fear would be baseless.

The original suggestion was that Japanese studios put english subtitles on their R2 (Japanese) releases. I fail to see how Japanese R2 DVDs could be reverse imported into Japan.

Quote:
Doesn't Studio Ghibli do this? If they think it's worth it, why not the rest?

Ghibli recently did this with their Ghibli ga Ippai Collection, yes. Ghibli is also extremely different from the average anime company. Their movies can make well over 100 million at the box office. No other anime studio can claim the same. You're comparing a mass market company to niche market companies.

Gainax tried it a few years ago with FLCL, to my knowledge they haven't repeated the experiment since. Perhaps because they found it wan't worth it.

Quote:
The sooner the Japanese studios wake up to this the better their profit margin will be.

The option of putting foreign languages on DVDs is bluntly obvious. To think that the Japanese companies didn't think of this already is extremely naive. They've thought of it, and decided against it, probably after doing studies. They're companies, they do what helps their bottom line.

I can't tell you what specific reason they have for not doing it now. I can offer lots of conjecture. Perhaps they're waiting for a specific market condition, perhaps when they have DVDs that sell as many copies as Ghibli DVDs they will do it, perhaps they're waiting for the format wars to be regulated, perhaps they've concluded that it hurts licensing opportunities, perhaps...

I suspect, largely, because it isn't worth the trouble, they figure they'll make a few grand out of it, which is hardly worth the trouble of having a translator work on it for a few days, having a second translator ouble check the translation and having a DVD producer encode it. But that's just supposition on my part.

Perhaps they just couldn't get permission to do it from the other licensors. Why would Shueisha let Pierrot and the DVD publisher (not sure who releases the Bleach DVDs in Japan off the top of my head) put English subtitles on the DVDs when that product will compete directly with Viz's eventual release... Viz being a partial subsidiary of Shueisha.

Just guessing though...

My point is, that if it was worth it for them, they'd be doing it by now.

-t

well the number of non-anime R2 DVD's with english sub tracks is increasing, slowly but steadily. The most recent example, that i know of, would be Shinobi.

also per a press release a month or so ago from the blu-ray folks (aka sony) Japan is going to be R1 in the next gen stuff. If this truely happens, then the entire scene of Japanese DVD pricing is going to get revamped. It also leads to cheaper production costs of making a english sub track because you will actually have a real chance that an american consumer will purchase the original item, you won't have to make a seperate R1 disc and warehouse it, etc.. Right now because of the region difference, american consumer purchasing is really a niche market.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

The quality of the subtitles put out by many of the fansub groups is better then the quality of subs put out by the companies. Most of the companies use the same font that is surrounded by a thick black line which makes it hard to read. The companies also don’t do karaoke style songs, the good fansub groups do.

LOL ....so fansub are superior to the R1 DVD because the font color is better? Who cares if one has better audio and video quality. Who cares if the subtitle has a higher % of being accurate. Who cares if one has two language track and 'selectable" sub. Who cares about all that stuff when the font color looks so damn cool that it's distracting.

Regular white/yellow font with dark highlight works just fine. The dark board are there so that the font stand out and doesn't blend into the background. It's been done for years and not just on anime but almost all asian cinema DVD that has subtitle.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
daisuke_wto wrote:
why does every 1 keep sayin if only geneon of funi or thank good 4kids didn't get it where's the love for ADV the biggest north american anime distrubeter?? If it was me I would always want ADV to get an anime I like there just the best in my opnion but anyway.

Because ADV is worse than Geneon/Funi and lies out of their ass about everything? They used to be decent but ever since they started throwing money at the Japanese for 1/2 decent series and hoping they sold decently, they have gone down hill. Also, they fired their best t/l on staff.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:

Because ADV is worse than Geneon/Funi and lies out of their ass about everything?

Prove this comment or I'm deleting it. I want at least 5 instances where ADV has actually lied about something.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
You know, this is probably just a crazy, spur-the-moment idea, but what if everyone waited until they saw an actual episode dubbed before critizising about how sucky it is? I know it sounds ridiculous, but it might be worth a shot Wink
Nionel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, it'll be like this for awhile. It's just like when Naruto got licenced early last year, we'll hear a lot of complaints for a few weeks here then people will finally let it go and then it'll pick up again as soon as the show airs on TV or is released on DVD sometime late this year or in early '07
NamaeX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I'll start laughing if the recording studio turns out to be Studiopolis or another LA studio because I tried to get Crispin Freeman to do a line from Bleach at the March Toronto Anime Covention but he declined. Razz

By the way, while I was at MTAC, I got most of the guest VAs to try out some lines for Bleach.

The ones I liked most were Chris Sabat's and Luci Christian's.

I got Chris to do Jidanbou and Luci to do Yoruichi in human form.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
bayoab wrote:

Because ADV is worse than Geneon/Funi and lies out of their ass about everything?

Prove this comment or I'm deleting it. I want at least 5 instances where ADV has actually lied about something.

1) Denying having the rights to Kino no Tabi with their name in the credits. (Not neither confirm nor deny, but "we don't have it".)
2) Going back and forth on whether they had the rights to Super Gals S2 and finally admitting almost a year later they never had them in the first place.
3) ADV claimed to have a "big" mecha announcement at Otakon which never materialized. (Which actually later "materialized" but didn't. i.e. they claim to have said something they didn't say)
4) The Gantz "experiment" (Forgot how long it took for them to finally admit it did not go the way they wanted.)
5) Matt Greenfield's comment at multiple panels about how the Japanese industry was about to take initiative against fansubbers (almost over 2 years ago) which never materialized.
6) I haven't updated this in a long time but:
http://bayoab.info/100adv-v9-(01-01-05).html (Mirrored).
(Almost 100% of some seasons are licensed at this point, but this definitely meant it was not licensed in pre-production like ADV claims.)

(This is just off the top of my head and from my panel reports from 2004. I can keep going to 2003 and 2005 if you want more examples.)
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
Well just to add my two cents . . .

Complain AFTER you have rented/bought the DVD release. If you are serious about the quality of their [Viz's] product, do your homework and write them a (polite) diatribe on what you think. Odds are your letter will be thrown in the round file but at least you tried instead of just throwing your opinion wildly about on a forum.

If everyone is going to complain about it this much, I'm going to throw in a totally original idea. Learn Japanese. Seriously, learn Japanese, buy the R2 DVDs and watch them in the Original form they were produced.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Zac wrote:
bayoab wrote:

1) Denying having the rights to Kino no Tabi with their name in the credits. (Not neither confirm nor deny, but "we don't have it".)
2) Going back and forth on whether they had the rights to Super Gals S2 and finally admitting almost a year later they never had them in the first place.
3) ADV claimed to have a "big" mecha announcement at Otakon which never materialized. (Which actually later "materialized" but didn't. i.e. they claim to have said something they didn't say)
4) The Gantz "experiment" (Forgot how long it took for them to finally admit it did not go the way they wanted.)
5) Matt Greenfield's comment at multiple panels about how the Japanese industry was about to take initiative against fansubbers (almost over 2 years ago) which never materialized.
(Almost 100% of some seasons are licensed at this point, but this definitely meant it was not licensed in pre-production like ADV claims.)

(This is just off the top of my head and from my panel reports from 2004. I can keep going to 2003 and 2005 if you want more examples.)

None of these are 'lies'. These are all PR decisions. If the ink on the contract has not dried, you do not have the show. The Super Gals thing was widely known to be related to sales issues. The Japanese industry DID take a stance against fansubbers, as we saw with Media Factory. There are very plausible and very real reasons for all of these. That you don't know the whole story does not give you license to assume everyone is lying to you.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Zac wrote:
bayoab wrote:

None of these are 'lies'. These are all PR decisions. If the ink on the contract has not dried, you do not have the show. The Super Gals thing was widely known to be related to sales issues. The Japanese industry DID take a stance against fansubbers, as we saw with Media Factory. There are very plausible and very real reasons for all of these. That you don't know the whole story does not give you license to assume everyone is lying to you.

Media factory happened long after the "two months" that it was going to happen in. There is no way to conclude that is even the one that he was talking about or if he was just trying to scare people. Admitting an experiment failed after claiming it succeded is a lie anyway you look at it. Gals could take an entire page of research for its history so I will concede that point. (I am aware of the AX 2005(?) quote "If gals thinpak sells, we will get the second season." I smirk knowing that Gals fans are probably screwed.)

Yes, some of the things that happen at ADV are PR decisions because the ink is not dry. Then there are those that are clearly not PR decisions and are because they talked about something that was not set in stone yet or was planned and never came to fruition. They then go ahead and deny ever saying them in the first place or silently never mention them again. The ADV con team may do 30 or 40 panels a year and forget every minor detail of what they said at these panels, but they have mentioned BIG things like a "series coming out simultaneously in the US and Japan" (It did not happen and was never mentioned again.).

And yes, ADV is not the only company to do this, but IMO, from hearing them at 3 conventions a year and hearing 3 amusing panels with the same (but not the always the same) information, they are in the top pack of those who lie.
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
daisuke_wto wrote:
why does every 1 keep sayin if only geneon of funi or thank good 4kids didn't get it where's the love for ADV the biggest north american anime distrubeter?? If it was me I would always want ADV to get an anime I like there just the best in my opnion but anyway.

Cause to some people, ADV are just rushing their shows out and because of that, the performance of some of the actors in such and such show is sub-par. Its sorta like what Im thinkin right about now; "Ya know, the faster we get this done, the faster we can sell it. People wont care cause we're ADV Films, we got l33t s#!t yo! They wont care."....at least, that's what I think Im thinkin right now. Shocked Confused

daisuke_wto wrote:
why do all the dub haters have to complain an complain 90% of the time I like dubs am not a dub hater but like i stated earlry I just don't like the naruto dub so instead of screaming and saying am gonna stick with the fansub blah blah am going o wait for the uncut box sets and buy em then and listen to the japanese audio track.

Yeah, its contridicting like hell, we know but at least I can back up my accusation of not being a dubby. You should see my anime VHS collection. 98% all US dub. Working on DVDs right now though.

All in all, people are going to say what they want so just let them be.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:30 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Zac wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Zac wrote:
bayoab wrote:

Media factory happened long after the "two months" that it was going to happen in. There is no way to conclude that is even the one that he was talking about or if he was just trying to scare people. Admitting an experiment failed after claiming it succeded is a lie anyway you look at it. Gals could take an entire page of research for its history so I will concede that point. (I am aware of the AX 2005(?) quote "If gals thinpak sells, we will get the second season." I smirk knowing that Gals fans are probably screwed.)

Yes, some of the things that happen at ADV are PR decisions because the ink is not dry. Then there are those that are clearly not PR decisions and are because they talked about something that was not set in stone yet or was planned and never came to fruition. They then go ahead and deny ever saying them in the first place or silently never mention them again. The ADV con team may do 30 or 40 panels a year and forget every minor detail of what they said at these panels, but they have mentioned BIG things like a "series coming out simultaneously in the US and Japan" (It did not happen and was never mentioned again.).

Somewhere on the site is an article about that anime. I can't recall it off the top of my head, but it was basically something along the lines of "Fansubbers have succeeded" because the show was being released simultaneiously. If anyone knows what the anime is, a link would be appreciated.

And didn't GALS not even have a R2 DVD release? Given that they even mentioned trying ot get the rights means they busted their ass far more than most companies would do.

It's 4am, any futher comment on your post by me would probably be flaming at the immense unreasonable bias just flooding out of it. I'll get back to this tommorow.

ADV has my respect at being the best Anime company out there, followed closely by Genon.
DanteNeko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
NamaeX wrote:
I'll start laughing if the recording studio turns out to be Studiopolis or another LA studio because I tried to get Crispin Freeman to do a line from Bleach at the March Toronto Anime Covention but he declined. Razz

By the way, while I was at MTAC, I got most of the guest VAs to try out some lines for Bleach.

The ones I liked most were Chris Sabat's and Luci Christian's.

I got Chris to do Jidanbou and Luci to do Yoruichi in human form.
Hmmm, who will have a fitting dubbed voice of Ichigo Kurosaki...maybe Sean Schemmel...lol
Zython

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, I knew this day will come. I'm just glad that Viz decided to license it during the filler arc. The only thing that upsets me, though, is that I had recently bought Bleach DS, thinking the series wouldn't be licensed for some time. Oh well.

I have one question though. What's the deal with everyone saying, "Bleach is a SJ title, so Viz already had the rights to the anime"? Last time I checked, one instance (Naruto) does not make a pattern. Or has everyone forgotten about Dragonball, YuYu Hakusho (Funimation), Yu-gi-oh, Shaman King, One Piece (4 Kids), Saint Seiya (ADV/DiC), Slam Dunk (Geneon), Fist of the North Star (Manga Entertainment), and probably some others? I know they have the licensing rights to the SJ mangas, but their respective animes are separate entities.

As for Bleach itself, though, I'm betting $20 that Viz will give Tousen a thick Jamaican accent. Just call it a hunch. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12