• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Officially Announces Bleach Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:

If you've ever seen Bleach you will know that it isn't "now days Toonami" safe. It coulda' aired almost uncut back in the days of Yu Yu Hakusho,DBZ,Dragonball,Sailor Moon,Tenchi Rurouni Kenshin and Cyborg 009.

First of all, all those shows were edited and or cut in some way. Second, you have numerous anachronisms among that lineup; Kenshin was circa 2003, as was Cyborg 009, and both were edited. Dragonball was 2003-2005. Tenchi was around 2000, Sailor Moon & DBZ around 1998. Yu Yu Hakusho went unedited but was NOT on Toonami in 2000, but it came to Toonami edited and redubbed for language in 2002.

And, to conclude, while many of those shows had more "mature themes" that is considered Toonami appropriate now, NONE had the level of blood and violence we see in Naruto.
.j.x.h.2.1.5.4..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
, , , ,

Last edited by .j.x.h.2.1.5.4.. on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Bleach can have a good dub,but it will be very pricey.
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
How are my bootlegs "against the law" if I buy them from one of the most famous anime dvd websites in America???

I know I know, nothing to do with the topic...but I have to know, what famouse DVD website did you buy obvious bootlegs from that is legitimate? I'd really love to know this one, because I'm damn sure it wasn't any legitimate site, except that one that looks professional, sells legitimate DVDs but also sells bootleg "imports". Sure as hell wasn't TRSI or Anime Castle, or even Amazon.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
SaveOnePiece wrote:

If you've ever seen Bleach you will know that it isn't "now days Toonami" safe. It coulda' aired almost uncut back in the days of Yu Yu Hakusho,DBZ,Dragonball,Sailor Moon,Tenchi Rurouni Kenshin and Cyborg 009.

First of all, all those shows were edited and or cut in some way. Second, you have numerous anachronisms among that lineup; Kenshin was circa 2003, as was Cyborg 009, and both were edited. Dragonball was 2003-2005. Tenchi was around 2000, Sailor Moon & DBZ around 1998. Yu Yu Hakusho went unedited but was NOT on Toonami in 2000, but it came to Toonami edited and redubbed for language in 2002.

And, to conclude, while many of those shows had more "mature themes" that is considered Toonami appropriate now, NONE had the level of blood and violence we see in Naruto.

I know they were edited. What I ment was the mature feel,occasional cussing and use of words such as Die and kill.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
Bleach can have a good dub,but it will be very pricey.

Expensive DVDs are quite a possibility; afterall, Bleach is a cash-cow. But, in all likelihood, Viz won't be shipping two episodes per DVD à la ADV with Gantz.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
Wanting to see Bleach became such an obsession that I had to see it before I went insane.

You have officially confused me.

Funny, the majority of the posts in this thread have refered to or quoted SaveOnePiece. Good job at getting attention.

Edit: Ok, I understand your sentence now, you forgot to put a word in so it really confused me. It should have said:

Wanting to see Bleach licensed became such an obsession that I had to see it before I went insane.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
.j.x.h.2.1.5.4..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
, , , ,

Last edited by .j.x.h.2.1.5.4.. on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
SUBSCRIBER ONLY ACCESS
http://www.c21media.net/features/detail.asp?area=28&article=28996

Viz Media, the result of the merger last year of Shopro Entertainment and Viz LLC, the US-based operations of Japanese rivals Shogakukan and Shueisha respectively, is making a concerted effort to grow its properties in Europe through its joint venture with Copyrights Promotions Licensing Group (CPLG).

Both parties hold a half share in the company, known as Viz Media BV, and the plan, according to BV MD Daniel Marks, is to continue to handle the more established properties through the San Francisco office – maintaining core brands like Zatch Bell and Naruto – while newer properties will be handled jointly through the US and Europe.

The set-up provides a more coordinated approach overseas and allows Viz to leverage CPLG's seven offices throughout western Europe. Initially the Euro focus will centre on building awareness for a handful of properties. On the slate is six- to 14-year-old boy/girl-skewing property Mar (Marchen Awakens Romance); Zoids Genesis, aimed at boys aged six to 14; and preschool property Deko Boko Friends, already airing on Nick Jr, Noggin and Nicktoons in the US, in addition to Canadian preschool net Treehouse.

But whether properties go the licensing and merchandising or television route first will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

For example, the company is looking to develop Deko Boko, its only preschool property, in TV, DVD and publishing simultaneously, but is considering exploring other areas without a Euro TV deal in place. "We are considering starting without television to build awareness and we are looking at new technology like wireless to just really get it out there," says Marks, who points out that Deko is also a licensing hit with Japanese teens. "We are looking to exploit both those demos."

As a series of 30-second shorts, however, its broadcast appeal may be limited – yet lengthening the format may hamper its current charm.

"If you start changing it in too many ways you lose some of its uniqueness, so we are talking to the creators in Japan about making it more friendly for TV broadcasters in the Western world," says Marks. As it stands, each episode consists of one character coming out, doing 'something cute,' and then it is over. "Part of the story is that the characters never interact together, it is difficult to make longer."

Viz will be taking a more traditional approach with Mar, a property for seven- to 12-year-olds that is about a 14-year-old boy who is suddenly transported into the fairytale realm envisioned in his dreams. The plan is to secure a broadcast partner before branching into ancillary areas, and Marks anticipates waiting for a US broadcast partner before moving too far ahead in Europe.

"Quite often we wait for the US version and sell that version overseas because they paint out a lot of the blood etc, so it is easier to place on television," says Marks. "Ideally we would do a pan-European deal with one of the cabsat broadcasters and then move on to terrestrial."

Zoids has a good chance of launching as a toy line before securing a TV deal thanks to existing partnerships with Tomy, who has been creating Zoids toys in Japan for over 20 years, and Hasbro, who handles the toys overseas.

"There is potential to launch the toys with one of the companies before the TV comes through," says Marks.

Both Mar and Zoids will be better positioned to secure TV deals come April when both will have a full 52-episode run.

The newest property on its slate, meanwhile, sees the company aging-up. Bleach, aimed at the older teen and young adult demo, is about a 15-year-old high-school student who is able to see and fight the undead after an encounter with a 'soul reaper.'

"The characters are hip, trendy and fashionable. It sort of fuses a cool Samurai-esque feel with a retro style – all in present-day pop culture Japan that we think will resonate really well with the teen demo," says Marks.

US-based executive VP at Viz Media John Easum says: "Bleach is one of the big heavy hitters coming out of Japan, for which we have pretty big expectations. It is a very highly rated show on TV Tokyo at the moment."

The property is already a very strong manga publishing title in the US, and Easum feels this is a "strong indication of how it will perform as a series."

Marks adds that the show represents a shift past the mainstream for the company: "We will have more properties that will not go on terrestrial TV because the audience just isn't there. Some of these properties will be more girl-oriented, or teen/young adult. We are looking to expand beyond the traditional six-to-12, nine-to-14 core demo."

Another new area for the company is emerging platforms, an initiative that is being handled out of the US at the moment.

"We are expanding our footprint beyond traditional means of distribution. We are taking a very aggressive look at new platforms, whether VoD, broadband or wireless," says Easum. "We see this as an area that creates greater exposure for us as a company because we have a vast array of content that goes beyond the mass market and might appeal to a very select demo that would respond to some of these new platforms. You will see us there this year.[/b]
.j.x.h.2.1.5.4..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
, , , ,

Last edited by .j.x.h.2.1.5.4.. on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
jxh2154 wrote:

I actually think Bleach will be rather cheap. Just look at Naruto -- the uncut sets are 13 eps on 3 discs, for $50msrp. That comes down to around $30 when buying online (maybe $35), which comes to $10/11 per disc for a brand new uncut series of massive popularity. I think price will be the least of our worries in Bleach.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. I'm lead to believe Naruto also has synchronized subtitle language flipping as well, right? Incredible; last I heard, the One Piece was sold dub-only with three episodes per disc at the same price, perhaps a tad higher or lower.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
About time the confirmation came in.

It seemed inevitable that Viz would get Bleach. Confused End of story. Anime hyper

I'm just wondering when YTV will pick it up. (I know they will, due to its popularity.)
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
Those who say dub Lee,Sakura,Neiji and Naruto are from "a good dub" are not humans. Yes, there are some talented VAs on the Naruto dub,but Blum, Quinton Flynn and David Wittenburg aren't enough to save it.

At least Bleach's American fanbase is filled with goths and fat guys that will make an impact to save their love. Though I'm not fat or Goth, Bleach is a part of my life.

How are my bootlegs "against the law" if I buy them from one of the most famous anime dvd websites in America???

I respect how Viz are putting it on the AS,but having the smallest thought that the people who raped DBZ for 53 episodes (in what I like to call "OceanBall Z" is a nightmare.

Bleh, it reeks of "fanboy" in here. I agree with Patachu that all fans should ban together to kick SaveOnePiece out since he gives a bad name to the fandom and drags it down more than anything. Seriously, it's just cartoon. Get some proper focus.

Anyway, if Naruto is any indication, I think Bleach will be handled just fine. And like others have said, as long as they offer dual-language and uncut, then I'm happy. I believe that's what the majority of us want for any show when it gets licensed. It's just a shame we have to put up with spoiled anime zealots who seem to think that "fighting against the great commercial anime scene" is some kind of noble cause akin to Amnesty International.Confused
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
5 bucks says airtime is announced after Inuyasha.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
marasolo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

Expensive DVDs are quite a possibility; afterall, Bleach is a cash-cow. But, in all likelihood, Viz won't be shipping two episodes per DVD à la ADV with Gantz.

Maybe not two episodes per disc, but I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they did three. That was a big annoyance when they did that for Inuyasha (at least there are the box sets now), but the wait for them is going to be frustrating and long. They know how long these shows are and figure out how much money they can recoup through dvd sales (I don't mind them making money, otherwise they'd go out of business or wouldn't do it all), but they should price these to encourage purchase instead of making them unaffordable. I know Bleach isn't as many episodes as Inuyasha, but I imagine there will be more than a hundred... three episodes instead of four or five per disc is ridiculous for such long shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12