• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-03-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't have a question, but instead, I'd like to make a statement. For months of reading your column, I've seen dozens of poorly thought out ideas for anime and manga sent in to you.

So have I, so could you explain why you feel the need to subject us to every awful idea that someone sends in? They're usually more nauseating then funny.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
No one is forcing you to read them.

A lot of us find those letters humorous.
vickeyv

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:
I'm glad the issue of why shows like "The Simpsons" and "Lost" are sold in the US for $30 while animes are about $100 came up again because last week I had this question to ask: aren't anime dvds in Japan actually MORE expensive there? Isn't it like 2 episodes for $50 or some crazy amount like that? If that's true, that would mean that anime actually IS cheaper for us here in the R1 zones.

If the DVD revenue is surplus for Simpsons then the same goes for shows like Anime which make most of there main revenue in Japanese broadcasting. But when it comes to licencing its a totaly different ball game yup.
About the $50 for 2 episodes in Japan. Wow man those Japanese companies are good at maxing profits. The simpsons sell there surplus for $30 per season so they can make more money with more sales. Japanese companies sell for loads of money for a season by risking less sales but its a risk worth taking. Since its only surplus and might as well max it.

Can some one elaborate why Japanese companies have to resrot to licecening for anime distribution, why can't they do it directly.
My guess is becasue directly can be a risk for them. In licencing they just sign a contract and get paid and then its the licencing companies head ache.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
vickeyv wrote:

Can some one elaborate why Japanese companies have to resrot to licecening for anime distribution, why can't they do it directly.
My guess is becasue directly can be a risk for them. In licencing they just sign a contract and get paid and then its the licencing companies head ache.

A risk indeed. I assume you aren't familiar with the fiasco of Slam Dunk, Air Master, etc.? While it was being distributed by Geneon, we all can see the disaster involved in a Japanese company handling its own license. Toei made some horrible decisions here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios
Toei had to do soemthign to get away from 4kids...hell I dont see why they dont partner with them and force them to become a real anime company....they have everything that COULD make a desent anime company...anythign but comment sence...I mean realy...whts up with the mindless reedits (I amnot talking content I am talking "alteration" of each frame and crap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I found something funny regarding the Bleach licensing:

I was reading the new (April) issue of Anime Insider and they had a Top 10 list of unlicensed anime and predictions on how long it would take to get them licensed. Bleach was #1 and the prediction was 3 years. Smile

Looks like they made an unintentional April Fool's joke.

Ha.

This amuses me, not just because of the timing, but how blatently wrong that prediction is regardless. As I've been telling my friends for the past month ever since the licensing rumors started, unless the companies involved were total idiots Bleach would be licensed within one year.

The anime industry in the US isn't what it was 10 years ago. Companies don't necessarily sit and wait to license something until it's finished it's Japanese run, more and more they're grabbing it while it's hot. And this goes for the Japanese companies too- if a longer anime is licensed and released in the US while it's still at its peak in Japan (and thus, by extension, the fansub community), then it cashes in on all the hype the US fandom has already made for it with minimal effort and expands upon it. Like the FMA dubbed beginning to air mere weeks after the Japanese series finale, for example.

To wait until a series like Bleach is finished or has been ongoing for several more years at this point would be just foolish. The fandom for it in the US is already huge, so the best time to license and release it is before that starts to fade.
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster
I wonder if Okutas over thier buy some US dometic reg 1 DVDs sicne tis cheaper than buying thier region coded stuff?
it would be neat...but strange *L*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:
aren't anime dvds in Japan actually MORE expensive there? Isn't it like 2 episodes for $50 or some crazy amount like that? If that's true, that would mean that anime actually IS cheaper for us here in the R1 zones.

I ASSUME it's a question of volume. A single DVD media unit is cheap, setting up the print process is not. So if you sell only 1 unit, you need to sell it for more in order to cover costs vs. if you sell 100. This is why art house flicks often cost more on DVD than a blockbuster movie like "Harry Potter".
vickeyv wrote:

Because Japanese companies are not as familiar with the American market, just like US companies are not as familiar with the Japanese market (see XBox 360 sales). But besides that, initially, they didn't see it as a major place to seek sales, the US anime "market" was started because US licensers thought they could sell it and asked Japanese companies for a license to sell what they weren't really putting any effort into anyway. More recently, Japanese companies are keeping the US market in mind, but that doesn't mean they feel comfortable trying to address the market DIRECTLY yet.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Toei setup show in the U.S. and did a poor job with it's dvd sale of Slam Dunk and Air Master. Their DVD release were sub-par and it kind of show us that they don't really understand the U.S. market that well.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Zippydsm wrote:
ACDragonMaster
I wonder if Okutas over thier buy some US dometic reg 1 DVDs sicne tis cheaper than buying thier region coded stuff?

Well DVDs probably aren't reverse-imported much thanks to that whole regional encoding thing.

Now CDs, on the other hand... well, it's worth noting that Jpop CDs and such sometimes have fewer tracks on them when released here, or are otherwise different from the Japanese release...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I found something funny regarding the Bleach licensing:

I was reading the new (April) issue of Anime Insider and they had a Top 10 list of unlicensed anime and predictions on how long it would take to get them licensed. Bleach was #1 and the prediction was 3 years. Smile

Looks like they made an unintentional April Fool's joke.

Ha.

This amuses me, not just because of the timing, but how blatently wrong that prediction is regardless. As I've been telling my friends for the past month ever since the licensing rumors started, unless the companies involved were total idiots Bleach would be licensed within one year.

The anime industry in the US isn't what it was 10 years ago. Companies don't necessarily sit and wait to license something until it's finished it's Japanese run, more and more they're grabbing it while it's hot. And this goes for the Japanese companies too- if a longer anime is licensed and released in the US while it's still at its peak in Japan (and thus, by extension, the fansub community), then it cashes in on all the hype the US fandom has already made for it with minimal effort and expands upon it. Like the FMA dubbed beginning to air mere weeks after the Japanese series finale, for example.

I would assume they guessede three years since Naruto took about 2 and half (it was in the 120s when it was licensed). It also said that it would take that long because of bidding wars, not because people didn't want it.
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Region codeing is easy to get around *L*
oh well I guess theyed have to be tech nut okutas like me 0-o *L*
I might cant find my way out of a papper bag or into a girls pants but I can rebuild a computer 0-o
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Zippydsm wrote:
ACDragonMaster
I wonder if Otaku over there buy some US dometic reg 1 DVDs sicne tis cheaper than buying their region coded stuff?

I'm quite sure it does happen, and the Japanese companies are concerned about it. The recent controversy over the audio tracks on the New Bible Black DVDs is only one example--the Japanese company didn't want the Japanese audio track on the R1 DVDs because importing the R1s would have been much cheaper for Japanese fans. Do a forum search for "reverse importation," and you'll find that this phenomenon has been an issue in the delay or non-release of other series, like the second half of Super Gals! or the latest Tenchi Muyo! OVAs.

And if I can insert a language comment in here: "it's" means only "it is" or "it has." "Its" refers to something belonging to "it," as in "its animation quality" or "its release date." Sorry, lo siento, 申し訳ありません.
Zippydsm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116

God and I thought hollywood was annoying with tis protection shcemes 0-o it looks like all large companies are only intrested inmakeing money with the aid of black boots >>

Commneting on my lanuage is like commenting on my Brain IT DOSE NOT COMMPUTE!!
*LOL* ^^
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Zippydsm wrote:
Zalis116

God and I thought hollywood was annoying with tis protection shcemes 0-o it looks like all large companies are only intrested inmakeing money with the aid of black boots >>

Commneting on my lanuage is like commenting on my Brain IT DOSE NOT COMMPUTE!!
*LOL* ^^

Dude, maybe you need to run your posts through a spellcheck or something. There are enough grammatical and spelling mistakes in that post to reduce a grade school English teacher to TEARS.

Just curious, there's a lot of talk about Toei's disastrous attempts to enter the US market. What exactly happened? Are they out of the market entirely now? And how many DVDs of Slam Dunk and Air Master made it out over here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6