• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Down with the Vic-ness

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And he was saying that others do soapbox as much as he does. That was his point.

Like who? I'm genuinely curious.

Beats me. Never been to an anime con big enough to have guests. He wasn't naming names, which is good, and I can't, since I don't know. Smile

@kazenoyume: I think I need a little more definition of "taking part in it" before convicting him. Were you watching him like a hawk waiting for the "j'accuse!" moment to see which liquors he was drinking? Or did you just see him with a glass of liquid in his hand? Did they have no non-alcoholic beverages available? No designated drivers attending?

Non-drinkers often will make sure they have a glass in their hand to keep people off their backs trying to get them to drink. So I'm wondering just how much attention you were paying to his actions.

Not that it really means anything, since you're anonymous and he's not here. Smile
Nogara-San

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
First time poster....long time lurker Anime hyper

I don't really care if Mignona is a fundie Christian....that's all good but I feel that a con is NOT an appropriate place for religious services. That's nice he wants to preach but do it somewhere else.

Otherwise, Mr Mignona needs to seriously get over himself. Dude...you're not an Oscar winner; you're known because you're the voice of an animated character that only a small faction of people know about. And it's a Japanese character, which makes him even less known unless you're an anime fan.

Still love him as Ed and Tamaki though. And I will give the guy some credit for sticking with FMA, despite the objection of his church.
sonic720

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Nogara-San wrote:
I feel that a con is NOT an appropriate place for religious services. That's nice he wants to preach but do it somewhere else.

Otherwise, Mr Mignona needs to seriously get over himself. Dude...you're not an Oscar winner; you're known because you're the voice of an animated character that only a small faction of people know about. And it's a Japanese character, which makes him even less known unless you're an anime fan.

Would you care to elaborate more on why you think it's not appropriate for Vic to offer a service at a con, and also what you mean by him getting over himself?

He stated in the podcast he only does the "church services" at cons because fans WANT them. Yes, the fans there, who happen to come from a Christian background or who maybe really like Vic for whatever reason, want a service at the con because it's convenient and they don't have much time to leave and come back later lest they miss a panel or event. He's not being some imposing overlord demanding non-believers come to them. I think it's perfectly fine for them to be there unless they are causing an actual disturbance, which they are not. And really, who's using all the con rooms on an early Sunday morning anyhow? If space and time allows and the con staff is cool with it, I see no reason Vic or anyone else from a different faith for that matter should not be allowed to book a room and hold a service. At the end of the day this "issue" is really about guest service at the con, if the fans want it the con will accommodate, it's as simple as that really.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That's not what he said. In context (@~57:10) he simply said that other people were very vocal about their own beliefs and interests, such as political and sexual beliefs (later expanding that slightly as moral, political and ethical positions), and he didn't understand why he was the only one getting flack for being vocal about his own particular interests. He never said whether he agreed or disagreed with the various agendas others were promoting.

What do you think he meant by being vocal about sexual beliefs? In that I've yet to attend a panel at a con where anyone tried to convert others to do anything of a sexual nature. What I have encountered are people sharing who they are. Well, Homestuck fans have an agenda but that's beside the point.

What came to mind for me was the late-night tell-all panels that tend to have humorous stories of sexual escapades. We've had one every year at NDK for...gosh, over 5 years now? (...And I attend. Every year.) I don't know if I'd call it "preaching" (it's not like it's WHY YOU SHOULD HAVE EXTRAMARITAL SEX: THE PANEL) but I can see why Vic would maybe be offended by it, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Oh and FYI, it isn't a hidden fact that Greg and Vic don't get along. It is well known as they both bad mouthed each other. And in regards to what I heard from the VA I personally spoke with, I had promised to keep their name out of it because I actually have respect for that person (unlike Vic). I also like how you failed to notice that I didn't get into detail on what they told me. I could have done so easily but I refrained from doing so.

This makes me wonder if Vic gets along with Chris Patton...
pumpkinhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Nogara-San wrote:

fudge you.

A lot of haters are just anti-Christian.

NO ONE IS FORCING THEM TO GO ASSHOLE.

Christ, I HATE people like you. Mignona's awesome and fudge you for saying that he 'needs to get over himself'. Twat.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
pumpkinhead wrote:
Nogara-San wrote:

fudge you.

A lot of haters are just anti-Christian.

NO ONE IS FORCING THEM TO GO ASSHOLE.

Christ, I HATE people like you. Mignona's awesome and fudge you for saying that he 'needs to get over himself'. Twat.

And lo ye shall be accepted into the Kingdom of the Banned, my son.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Thank you for providing this link. I think it does provide some additional info. For those who can't see the vid, he says in it that he "loves gay people... because God loves them," and that he "has many friends who are gay."

On the one hand, I think it gives some credence to the idea that he is not a homophobe. However, that being said there is some ambiguity in what he's saying. Does he only love them because God loves them? Does he oppose their equal rights under the law, even though he's "cool with them"? Saying you have many friends who are gay is like the countless people who will say they have many friends who are Jewish, Black, etc... yet still might be generally opposed to equality for them under the law.

I think, at a minimum, I am still curious as to what he meant when he said other people push their "sexual beliefs." I don't think that was answered there. However, as I said it does at least make him come across as someone who is not aggressively antagonistic to gay people.

In my opinion, I don't really know if I buy the whole "I have gay friends" argument. Many people in this day and age use the "I have [blank] friends" as a defense when they have done something wrong (i.e. Paula Deen saying "I have black friends" when she was accused of being racist or Kate Gosselin saying "I have eight biracial children" when she was attacked over a photo of her doing a racist gesture.

Does this mean Vic has done something wrong? Not at all. There isn't any proof of it.

That being said, I have no problem with Vic being outspoken about his faith. There's nothing wrong with that at all, as he isn't trying to force his beliefs down others throats. To each his own as long as it isn't being used as negative propaganda.

There is something unclear to me though: does Vic hate Greg Ayres because of something he did or said?
sonic720

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Oh and FYI, it isn't a hidden fact that Greg and Vic don't get along. It is well known as they both bad mouthed each other. And in regards to what I heard from the VA I personally spoke with, I had promised to keep their name out of it because I actually have respect for that person (unlike Vic). I also like how you failed to notice that I didn't get into detail on what they told me. I could have done so easily but I refrained from doing so.

You do realize that is only a rumor on the internet right? Where is the actual proof of them publicly bad mouthing each other?

Vic said in his rumors panel he has nothing but respect for his fellow coworkers and voice actors. As for what others think of him, well you need to ask them yourself to find out the truth. These posts are nothing more than tabloid style gossip anonymous people on the internet make up for laughs.

Here's the video on YouTube where Vic goes on the record (set to start where he addresses these types of rumors @5min 22sec):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7RQm9sUJjk#t=05m22s
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
sonic720 wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

You do realize that is only a rumor on the internet right? Where is the actual proof of them publicly bad mouthing each other?

Vic said in his rumors panel he has nothing but respect for his fellow coworkers and voice actors. As for what others think of him, well you need to ask them yourself to find out the truth. These posts are nothing more than tabloid style gossip anonymous people on the internet make up for laughs.

Here's the video on YouTube where Vic goes on the record (set to start where he addresses these types of rumors @5min 22sec):

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a rumor. The way it was being discussed here I assumed it was an actual event that took place. Someone did mention in an earlier post there was an incident at a convention where Greg was drunk and began badmouthing Vic, and seemed to stay focused solely on him alone. Now of course we can't assume just based on that one incident that it's proof that they do hate each other, but I was just wondering if there were any other reported times where their friendship seemed...off.
sonic720

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
sonic720 wrote:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a rumor. The way it was being discussed here I assumed it was an actual event that took place. Someone did mention in an earlier post there was an incident at a convention where Greg was drunk and began badmouthing Vic, and seemed to stay focused solely on him alone. Now of course we can't assume just based on that one incident that it's proof that they do hate each other, but I was just wondering if there were any other reported times where their friendship seemed...off.

Sorry for being a tad blunt myself, I mean you no disrespect. I just hate seeing people perpetuate rumors or opinions as truth, when in reality that poster and everyone else here has NO proof to substantiate that accusation.

I personally have never met Vic nor do I really have any opinion on him outside of this podcast and those YouTube videos. However, when I see people just pull things out of thin air and have nothing to back what they are saying, I'm going to question their accusations and motives.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
sonic720 wrote:

Sorry for being a tad blunt myself, I mean you no disrespect. I just hate seeing people perpetuate rumors or opinions as truth, when in reality that poster and everyone else here has NO proof to substantiate that accusation.

if we were allowed to film that late night 18+ uncensored voice actors panel where any question was fair game at Katsucon 2012, I'm sure there would be plenty of videos up on youtube. while Greg definitely told us he didn't really like Vic, he spent the other 80 minutes doing and talking about about things as well. he talked about being a DJ and his fiance and drew on his face with a sharpie, Josh Grelle told a very hilarious story about his childhood, Richard Epcar talked about being cast as Ansem in Kingdom Hearts. Chris Bevins talked about being an ADR director, Greg and J Michael Tatum discussed which male coworkers they found attractive and other related topics, and Chris Ayers was a sourpuss and didn't answer a lot of questions and just drank out of his sippy cup of doom. That panel got weird and many bizarre questions were asked, and discussions about Vic only lasted about 10 mins
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
sonic720 wrote:

Vic said here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7RQm9sUJjk (video from rumors panel) he'd give anyone $100 if they could prove he was ever drunk. So, if you have evidence he got drunk you could claim the prize. Wink

Haha sadly I don't have video, and also I wouldn't say he was smashed or anything (although several of the guests were).

Gina Szanboti wrote:

@kazenoyume: I think I need a little more definition of "taking part in it" before convicting him. Were you watching him like a hawk waiting for the "j'accuse!" moment to see which liquors he was drinking? Or did you just see him with a glass of liquid in his hand? Did they have no non-alcoholic beverages available? No designated drivers attending?

Non-drinkers often will make sure they have a glass in their hand to keep people off their backs trying to get them to drink. So I'm wondering just how much attention you were paying to his actions.

Not that it really means anything, since you're anonymous and he's not here. Smile

First off I had no idea that he had ever claimed that he didn't drink before this thread, so no I wasn't waiting for a moment to accuse him. I was in the second row in a fairly small room, so yes I absolutely saw what he was drinking. Beer and also diet pepsi and vodka at one point. And some scotch mix that Toshi Yoshida gave him (which he seemed to hate). I remember the panel pretty well, mostly because it was an absolutely hilarious one.

And there was no need for DDs since all the guests generally stay at the con hotel itself.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
diet pepsi and vodka

And you expect me to believe this? Very Happy Makes me gag just to imagine it.
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
All in all a pretty solid interview; not too many generic questions and not too many generic answers. Although things obviously got a bit strained between Zac and Vic, it was handled pretty well and mostly consisted of back-and-forth "are you trying to take a dig at me or is that an honest question" innuendo.

I don't usually listen to dubs (I've nothing against them save that generally the Japanese seem better or more varied), but this interview has piqued my interest somewhat. I think when I get around to Level E I'll give the dub a go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14