• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Down with the Vic-ness

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:27 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
kazenoyume wrote:
diet pepsi and vodka

And you expect me to believe this? Very Happy Makes me gag just to imagine it.

Yes you're right. I made this all up, providing the name and year of the con so anyone who was also there could come along and say it wasn't true.

Seriously?
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of nervous about listening to the podcast after reading through this whole thread, but I had to quote and comment on this:
jsevakis wrote:

Don't shun people just 'cause they don't like gays. I mean, it's not a positive quality, but people change, and they change by interacting and learning about other people. Remember, "It's not a sin to be homophobic, so long as you don't act on it." Very Happy

Even if this was said tongue-in-cheek, I don't know if I could be as gracious towards people who might hate me. Thank you for writing something so inspiring! (No, that's not sarcasm. It's nice to see people invoke grace, humility and the benefit of the doubt now and then).
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(I've nothing against them save that generally the Japanese seem better or more varied)

I love the irony here. Love it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
kazenoyume wrote:
diet pepsi and vodka
And you expect me to believe this? Very Happy <----
Seriously?
No.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

And lo ye shall be accepted into the Kingdom of the Banned, my son.

And this is why we love you.

- - - - -

Listened to the complete podcast today, while driving from Pittsburgh to Columbus.

After reading the posts here, don't know why you all haven't called the police on Vic. Zac or Justin did say that it is illegal for Vic to force you to attend his panels.

People attend conventions from all walks of life. Just because some people don't like a certain group of religious people, doesn't mean that any convention should ban or discriminate against them and deny them participation in convention events, including holding panels.

Really, if it was alright to ban religion from panels, then it would be alright to ban anything else also. Just imagine all the infighting and legal actions that the con heads and organizers would have to deal with to hold a convention. Would it even be worth it for the organizers, especially since conventions are already hair pulling events (pulling your own hair out).

Vic obviously hasn't made any Paula Dean mistakes. You can't please everyone, and success makes you a target. The conventions seem to like him and he continues to draw fans. So he is going to be a fact of life for some time. Success is the greatest revenge against your detractors.
bkmyers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Vic Mignogna wrote:
Quote:
When I said at the rumors panel in 2010 that "I do not drink", I thought I made it clear moments later that I did not drink "with regularity." I enjoy a glass of red wine now and again, but I do not get drunk. And even if I ever did someday, it wouldn't make anything I believe less true. It would just mean I stumble and fall occasionally.... welcome to being human.

I have not attended "over 18" panels at conventions for years. It's just not my thing. I've done 200 conventions since the one mentioned 8 years ago. That may well have been one of the very first of those kind "after hours" panels and I probably didn't yet know what it was about. Anyone who has been to a con with me since then knows I don't attend them. And anyone who knows me knows I hate beer. Never drank it, never will Smile

I've never claimed to be perfect or better than anyone else. I make mistakes and do dumb things all the time. But God loves and accepts me anyway. It's usually PEOPLE who are condemning and judgmental.

Sincerely,

Vic
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I just want to note that altho everyone is ASSUMING that "homophobia" is the obvious reason for Vic's efforts, it is entirely possible that (as a Christian) he takes a blanket stand against PROMISCUITY since it isn't difficult to find programming promoting all manner of "immoral" sexual behaviors (both homosexual AND heterosexual). I'm not Vic, I don't pretend to know what he's thinking, but why is it automatically assumed that the reason is the "worst"?

As far as people, I'm not going to speak for GUESTS, but I can say that Yaoi FANS most certain DO "push" their opinions on people. Just as example, a LONG time ago, some friends and I cosplayed Naruto characters and some hyperactive girls (who we did not know at ALL) came running up and asked me and my heterosexual male friend to "make out". We politely declined but they got more insistent and continued their demands. We eventually just walked away, but I never get that regarding hetero pairings INCLUDING when I walk around in matching costumes WITH MY WIFE.
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Just listened to this podcast today, and I went from having a neutral opinion about Vic to a positive one. I'm sure part of his answers were from an actor being "on," where everything and everyone is positive (and one certainly wouldn't name names if they weren't), but he is clearly a person who is passionate about his beliefs, genuinely cares about his fans, and likes what he does for a living. I'm not going to fault him for believing in things I don't, or even actively sharing that belief with others. It takes a lot of bravery to be as outspoken about his faith as he is in a very secular business with a very secular audience.

I can see how he can come off as egotistic or pushy about his faith, but I don't see him that way. It doesn't feel like bragging when he says he was the first Dallas VA to work at Funi or anything like that. I don't know how anybody can say he hates his fans (but knowing anime fans, I can see them getting on his nerves). I had to wait for a friend to get out of his Sunday autograph session at Otakon, which went on a good two or three hours after it was scheduled to end. It went on longer than the convention itself, since staff told us we had to leave if we didn't have any business there. Nobody who hates their fans would stick around that long.
Squallykins

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
sonic720 wrote:

Vic said here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7RQm9sUJjk (video from rumors panel) he'd give anyone $100 if they could prove he was ever drunk. So, if you have evidence he got drunk you could claim the prize. Wink

Haha sadly I don't have video, and also I wouldn't say he was smashed or anything (although several of the guests were).

Gina Szanboti wrote:

@kazenoyume: I think I need a little more definition of "taking part in it" before convicting him. Were you watching him like a hawk waiting for the "j'accuse!" moment to see which liquors he was drinking? Or did you just see him with a glass of liquid in his hand? Did they have no non-alcoholic beverages available? No designated drivers attending?

Non-drinkers often will make sure they have a glass in their hand to keep people off their backs trying to get them to drink. So I'm wondering just how much attention you were paying to his actions.

Not that it really means anything, since you're anonymous and he's not here. Smile

First off I had no idea that he had ever claimed that he didn't drink before this thread, so no I wasn't waiting for a moment to accuse him. I was in the second row in a fairly small room, so yes I absolutely saw what he was drinking. Beer and also diet pepsi and vodka at one point. And some scotch mix that Toshi Yoshida gave him (which he seemed to hate). I remember the panel pretty well, mostly because it was an absolutely hilarious one.

And there was no need for DDs since all the guests generally stay at the con hotel itself.

With simple research you could also find out whom else was there which brings the holes in your account, Yume.

You claimed at Kunikon 2005, vic partook in beverages of the fermented variety and was even given a scotch mixture by Toshi Yoshida.

Here is the problem with that. You did not specify which Kunikon.

While vic DID attend Kunikon 2005, it was NOT the same Kunikon Mr. Yoshida attended. Vic was at the Kunikon in St. Louis in March, while Mr. Yoshida was attended the one in Atlanta in May, while Vic was attending Anime North , so that alone makes your accusation nothing more than another rumor.

Aside from THAT

- - - - - -
I listened to the podcast and it was very well done!!

I've attended and watch many Q&As for Vic (and other voice actors) and had found them to be getting boring and so predictable.

This was a great piece and filled with lots of thought provoking topics I believe people should really examine within themselves.

When vic says there are sites devoted to hating on him, he isn't lying. Even on tumblr there are sprouts of hate.

But I have noticed that there are countless more who say so many good things about vic, his impact on their convention, life, etc,

and what is worse is that those few haters, fully aware we are part of a nerdy community, will turn cannibalistic and attack those for some chip they''ve decided to put on their shoulder which is for mostly fictitious reasons. I try to dispell the countless lies I see with the documented proof of contrariwise.
clawfinger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
First off I don't know voice actors. So the podcast up to the point of the religion was good. But once he starts about it and all that stuff, it was just really creepy.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
clawfinger wrote:
First off I don't know voice actors. So the podcast up to the point of the religion was good. But once he starts about it and all that stuff, it was just really creepy.

That wasn't really Vic's fault. Vic wasn't the one who started it.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Vic is a very talented actor. I just don't get people saying anything otherwise. He may be a different kind of actor than you prefer, but to say he has no talent is idiotic. He does a great job of the "overacting" for Kirk in Star Trek Continues, and it's highly appropriate. His antics with Ed have been endearing to many fans for years, and even if you don't like them this doesn't mean plenty of us don't. And if you want to insult other fans, go ahead, but don't fool yourselves into thinking his acting has nothing good about it.

He does what he does out of love for the things he takes part in, and I personally think that's great.

Vic isn't a fundamentalist either. He's just a regular evangelical (albeit one who takes his faith more seriously than some). Fundamentalist should only be applied to those who apply it to themselves (IFB, etc.) and when they do typically they are churches who believe in a lot of things evangelicals would not, including rejecting people for the very type of things Vic seeks to show acceptance for.

I think people ought to know better than to use that term if they don't want to make for a little bit of confrontation. Vic was very firm about his views, but I do think he was being truthful about the way many people react to evangelicals who proselytize. (proselytizing != fundamentalist, at least the way we'd use that term)
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
Nice interview. I met Vic and a signing he was doing and I didn't know he was a Christian at all. He seemed like a regular dude except super duper nice and really into his fans. I didn't attend his panel QA so maybe that's where all the radical fundamentalism Zac spoke of takes place.

Anyways, my only complaint is that I wish more of the interview had anything to do anime and wasn't so much, "what, you're a Christian?!!?!?" Do Zac and to a much lesser extent Justin (at least judging by his near silence the entire time) really find it that crazy and abnormal that someone follow a religion that they felt the need to dedicate the bulk of an anime podacast with a prolific anime voice actor to nothing related to anime or voice acting and focus on that?

Maybe it's because I live in the South, but people practicing a faith isn't that crazy, rare, or outlandish to me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Anyways, my only complaint is that I wish more of the interview had anything to do anime and wasn't so much, "what, you're a Christian?!!?!?" Do Zac and to a much lesser extent Justin (at least judging by his near silence the entire time) really find it that crazy and abnormal that someone follow a religion that they felt the need to dedicate the bulk of an anime podacast with a prolific anime voice actor to nothing related to anime or voice acting and focus on that?

Maybe it's because I live in the South, but people practicing a faith isn't that crazy, rare, or outlandish to me.

I don't think "what you're a Christian!??!?!" is an accurate representation of the tone of this interview *at all*. In fact it seems downright unfair.

Vic is the only VA that's as outspoken about his faith as he is. and to me that's an interesting angle. VA interviews usually cover the exact same topics, which is why we don't do them very often, and if there's something else we can talk about with regard to a VA, we will. I thought it was a perfectly fine subject, and one Vic readily agreed to before we even started taping.
The World We Know

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little (quite) late to this party, but I'll comment regardless, hehe.

I'm super happy that Zac and Justin would interview Vic and give him an opportunity to speak about his faith. That's more than fair of them - and considering Vic's popularity among voice actors and the importance of conventions in the fandom, his belief - as inseparable as it is from his public persona - is something significant to discuss.

I thought I might point this out, and I don't think it's been discussed yet - Vic has been thrust into this certain position (and maybe "thrust" is not the right word - he's taken it on as well and believes that God has put him in this position) and he's had to grow into it. To use an analogy, it would be comparable to Schwarzenegger becoming governor of California - he grew and evolved while on the job. Vic is growing in his faith, too (as all Christians do), and as he becomes a spokesman for evangelical Christianity among otaku and voice actors, he's bound to make mistakes, rub people the wrong way, and to develop in his views and how he expresses them. As such, I would ask that we approach him critically, sure, since he's taken up this mantle, but also with openness and understanding. He is just human, after all.

Also on a slight aside, I've spoken to him at length about Caitlin Glass, another Christian in the voice acting circle. And though I'm making an inference based on a few choice words, it seems to me that she's had a tremendous impact upon his faith and how he approaches voice acting. Her point of view is anything but fundamental, and Vic's approach to acting wouldn't jive with fundamentalists either, even if much of his other rhetoric would. I think that Caitlin and others, and the anime field in general, has had a tremendous influence on Vic's faith, and I think that's a good thing for representing the fandom to a faith that might largely look upon otaku with judgmental (and hypocritical) eyes.

All that said, I think he's done an admirable job of representing who he is and giving a compassionate voice to Christianity. When I sat down to interview Vic several months ago, I was skeptical of him. As our conservation continued, I found him to be surprisingly genuine. If you can get through the smoke and mirrors - or rather gregarious nature and promotion - you'll see a guy who loves people and loves God, and I think that's what he ultimately wants to show us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14