• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bigger Entry Box for MyAnime Comments?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering if we can't get a bigger box to type in when entering comments into MyAnime or MyManga. The box only shows four lines at a time, and for people like me who can write several paragraphs about a single title it becomes really frustrating having to scroll so much. A small box also makes it hard to proof-read, and to get an overview of what I've typed.

The thing is, I'm not really sure why it is so small in the first place. The box I am typing this post into shows sixteen lines at a time. Is there any reason why the comments box cannot be as large?

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat May 07, 2011 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
It's not a solution for everyone, but in new version of the Firefox browser (4.0 and above) you can expand the text entry box by clicking and dragging the lower right corner.

I don't know if this is a current or may be a future feature in other browsers, but I do find myself using it now and then in Firefox and it's a nice feature.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know that and I have Firefox 4.0.1; the little dots that mark the ability to expand are easy to miss if you don't know they're there.

Although it is useful, I would prefer to have the box being natively big rather than having to expand it each and every time.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone even read those comments though? I've been here for several years and I've have actually never really heard anyone talk about the Myanime comments.

All things considered, this is a fairly minor issue, so if you really want a answer, maybe Dan might be helpful.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't really mind if no-one reads them, as I mainly write them to solidify my thoughts. Although, if people do read what I write then of course that makes me happy.

I do like read what other people write, even if their tastes do not align entirely with mine. And I'm hardly the only one who puts in a fair amount of effort with the comments; I've always thought ikillchicken has some interesting things to say (to give but one example).

You are right in that it is a minor problem, but I'm hoping that in turn means it will require but a minor fix.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Does anyone even read those comments though? I've been here for several years and I've have actually never really heard anyone talk about the Myanime comments.

Well, you may not use it but some of us do like to record our thoughts there. I use it quite frequently.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Does anyone even read those comments though?

I read other peoples' lists. I even have a handful of users' lists bookmarked since over the years of interacting with them on the forums I have come to trust their opinions. It's a great source of information when I am considering a new series, or if I want to get some other thoughts on something I just watched.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Well, you may not use it but some of us do like to record our thoughts there. I use it quite frequently.

animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/

I have used it and I still am not sure if anyone truly even reads those comments.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/

I have used it and I still am not sure if anyone truly even reads those comments.

Well, considering you haven't set your list to be publicly viewable, probably not. (Also, for the link to direct to your list rather than the user's, it needs to be animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=Teriyaki%20Terrier).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
I've read comments of "like-minded" (never completely accurate, but it's something) members before.
(at right: See other people's anime lists > like-minded)
It can give some insight on the shows you haven't seen from those who have rated things somewhat similarly to yourself.

But without facebook style "like" options or the ability to comment on comments Confused there is no way to really know if they're helpful or being viewed. I guess if you really put in a commitment to it Tony might list you in this anime hunting users list
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I check out the comments sometimes, and I know other people do as well as I've received PMs about my MyAnime comments before from regular forumites as well as lurkers.

I never really noticed how small the entry box was though. I generally fill it up and it keeps scrolling, but it doesn't bother me. I am intrigued about the newer Firefox allowing you to expand it yourself though, and probably ought to upgrade (although I was waiting until I was sure the search results opening in new window problem was thoroughly fixed).
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I tend to not use any of the entry boxes for composing my posts, unless it's going to be a short one. An external text editor gives me more flexibility in composing my entry, and I can save it for future reference if desired. When I'm finished I cut and paste into the entry box. For me it seems to work pretty well.
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Does anyone even read those comments though?

I only am interested in reading another person's anime comments if their posts on the forums intrigue me. Say they make a statement about an anime that I really like that's totally opposite my opinion, I'll check out their full review on their anime page. Or if they mention an anime I've never heard of, I'll look to see what other stuff I'm missing out on. But I can't say that I check every single person's "my anime" list. Personally, I don't really care if someone wants to read my review or not, but at least by having it set to public they can if they want. I've got nothing to hide Smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The thing I'd like added in relation to the comments section is more ease of access.

Why is there no link to make comments after you've rated a show? Or as a option on the show page? Actually, I'd think it'd be most convenient for a comment box to automatically appear after you rate the show. If you leave the box empty nothing is added, simple as that.
As far as I can tell the only way to get to the comments box is from the complete myanime list, by hovering over the show's box and choosing the correct link. It's very inconvenient and not at all self evident. I end up rating a show and then having to hit the icon to get back to its place on the list (not a feature that's easy to recognize in the first place) and going to the comments box from there. And as a side issue- you can't hit the icon again to return again to that place on the list to double-check the final result.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1