• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Spirit of '81

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Everyone seems so fine with the concept that GoLion/Voltron is a "classic," but that's not classic by terms of being a masterpiece of story-telling and innovation but because it was a very good example of the poppiest of the popular- marketable and fun.

It's a "classic" because it has been a hit outside of Japan for many years. There was a "Voltron" mania in the Phillipines, IIRC.

Quote:
"a crazy little movie from Sanrio called Unico," becomes
"a crazy little movie from Madhouse called Redline",

You can still buy some Unico merchandise in Japan solely on the fact that the character was created by Osamu Tezuka. Do you think there will be merchandise of Redline in 30 years? I doubt so.

Quote:
"April was pretty important, too. Isao Takahata directed the enjoyably quirky Chie the Brat,"
"April was pretty important, too. Tatsuya Ishihara directed the enjoyably quirky NIchijou,"

Chie the brat has been a popular manga in the Seventies and Eighties among the masses and was directed by one of the acknowledged big masters of Anime. The movie is now part of the classic Ghibli library, even though it was produced before studio Ghibli existed. Do you seriously think Nichijou will have the same treatment of a classic like Chie the brat does?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not badmouthing the old shows and movies I mentioned above. Or saying the current shows will definitely be classics. circumstances are different, but the most basic descriptions fit.

In fact, other than GoLion none of the ones I mentioned there were noted as classics by Mike either. I was more interested in proving a baseline of well regarded shows that goes against the faulty argument that "almost everything in the past was awesome and almost everything now sucks."

Good shows exist now as they did in the past. Some will become classics, some will be well-remembered, some will be "thoroughly run of the mill show(s)"(Baldios) some will be "increasingly tired [franchises] (Yattodetaman).
Same as it ever was.

Swissman wrote:

It's a "classic" because it has been a hit outside of Japan for many years. There was a "Voltron" mania in the Phillipines, IIRC.

who knows what or if a current large-market kids show will have lasting value, but people like to say the present won't produce the same caliber of classics because the quality isn't there, not because it has slightly less the nostalgia value and marketing appeal of even worse cartoon like the Smurfs.

Quote:

You can still buy some Unico merchandise in Japan solely on the fact that the character was created by Osamu Tezuka. Do you think there will be merchandise of Redline in 30 years? I doubt so.

Take the sentence as read and there's no doubt it's a "crazy little movie" that could be remembered on that merit. A movie isn't only remembered because its creator is a master.

Quote:

Chie the brat has been a popular manga in the Seventies and Eighties among the masses and was directed by one of the acknowledged big masters of Anime. The movie is now part of the classic Ghibli library, even though it was produced before studio Ghibli existed. Do you seriously think Nichijou will have the same treatment of a classic like Chie the brat does?

Again who knows. Tatsuya Ishihara has worked on many of the decades finest "derivative" shows, he has the potential to be very big name. Chie the Brat, in Mike's Ghibi Before Ghibli article, was called a "very serviceable little family comedy."

Like Unico, let's not exaggerate a single work on the notoriety a creator has accrued over decades of work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Fractale, remembered fondly?

Heh, I hadn't seen much of it. I just plucked it out as a series with a well-known director that seemed to have some measure of attention on it. It's no Madoka, certainly.

FaytLein wrote:

Well, I don't think its fair to talk about the 80's in Japan since at that time the Japanese economy was the second strongest in the world, which meant that tons of extra cash was laying around, which lead into the OVA boom of that period.

1981 was a couple of years before this phenomenon started, so I'm not inclined to lump its product into the mid-decade boom times. The talent was really emerging, though - putting aside guys like Oshii, I've seen episodes of that HONEY HONEY cartoon that were just eye-popping, in terms of quality.

comics0026 wrote:
Can somebody please tell me what the Heika Meme is? I've never heard of it before (or perhaps not referred to as such) and I'm curious as to what it is, but Google has been of no help in this search, only bringing up references to it, but not what it is. :(

It was a meme that emeregd on 2ch in 2003 or 2004. Essentially, someone posted a picture of the wacky space emperor from Baldios late one night, with a message that urged people to stop posting all night and go to bed. This was followed by a variety of Photoshop edits, casting Heika as hitman, swordsman, etc. all with some variation on "YOU SHOULD GO TO BED NOW". The images got stranger and stranger and funnier and funnier, and the whole thing petered out after a year or two.

luffypirate85 wrote:

"Uchuu supeesu nanbaa wan!"

sengoku majin numbaa wan

What an oddly enjoyable show that was. Movie was interesting, too.

errinundra wrote:
Mike, you need to look beyond TV and cinema.

No, I don't. I'm not obliged to include fan films and I'm disinclined to do so, even if they're famous ones like the Daicon shorts. I've got plenty of data without them. What I can (and probably will) do is a column all about fan films, because there were a number of weird and interesting one from both Japan and the US in the 80s and 90s.

Melanchthon wrote:

Belle and Sebastian is greatest indie band of all time!

LIES. The greatest indie rock band of all time is Ted Leo & the Pharmacists.

Quote:
If you asked me what was better, your ten shows from '81 or these seven from '10, I would pick the '10 season hands down.

That's an excellent point. And as much as I like most of the goodies from '81, if you gave me the choice, I'd probably want to watch Tatami Galaxy instead of any of the 1981 material.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
So I'm quite happy to see a year presented right in the middle of his golden period. I can see how much real quality there was and also, what he always seems to discount, that it follows its own derivative trends, We're talking about 25% giant robot shows, and while I'm sure they're good and very interesting those literary adaptations and interpretations are definitely its own popular trend looking for a hit.

One thing I wanted to point out, but forgot-- there was only one real shoujo series in 1981, and that was Honey Honey. Nowadays we're used to at least one per season, and 3 or 4 per year. This strikes me as interesting because so much shoujo anime is remembered well - maybe its scarcity has something to do with that?

khaos1019 wrote:
Urusei Yatsura will always be my favorite series. Takahashi's best work, in my opinion. And the things Oshii and Yamazaki and the rest of the crew did to make the anime stand on it's own against the manga are amazing. I'm so glad I bought all of the DVDs over the last few years. It's sad that AnimEigo is discontinuing them.

I really wish AnimEigo had sat down and done some sort of 2-disc "URUSEI YATSURA THE BEST" collection of the funniest stand-alone episodes. Just about every UY episode has a great moment or two, but at its best the show is a crazed gag-marathon. As it stands, I'm quietly buying the series a disc at a time here and there before it disappears.

Spastic Minnow wrote:

Everyone seems so fine with the concept that GoLion/Voltron is a "classic," but that's not classic by terms of being a masterpiece of story-telling and innovation but because it was a very good example of the poppiest of the popular- marketable and fun.

I would contend that the TV series by itself is not a classic, but the robot is. GoLion/Voltron endures not because people remember the cartoons, but because they remember the stock footage transformations and loved the toys. I'm certainly in that category - I couldn't watch more than 2 episodes of Golion, but I've been wistfully eying the new Voltron jumbo machinders. Too rich for my blood! :(

Quote:
Face it people, K-ON! will be a "classic."

I think it has the ingredients, but it's going to come down to exposure. The otaku audience already likes it, but what about everyone else?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3