• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Evan Stone

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to get some history in terms of Mr.Stone's past actions shutting down bootleg dvd operations, and confirmation that Funimation has shutdown IRC operations in the past. It seems all this is moving forward, and they're evaluating future options. Things seem to be changing, and he sounds to have an idea what he's up to.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
The pron star?

(looks at article)

Oh, some bottom-feeder lawyer.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope things go good from now on
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Are those people that are downloading ripped streams even within US jurisdiction? Why else would people download something that's available to them for free unless they were in a blocked non-US location?
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Are those people that are downloading ripped streams even within US jurisdiction? Why else would people download something that's available to them for free unless they were in a blocked non-US location?

That's what I'm thinking too. People only download something that is available on their region if there is a higher quality file that exists somewhere.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
lol man arizona ._.

I remember dropping by the local Atomic Comics some time last year and still seeing the usual obvious bootleg CDs and DVDs, including Eva 1.0 on the manga rack selling for about as much as the real thing. Perhaps it was silly of me to have figured they'd have, well, grown out of selling that kind of thing by then, but I thought it was pretty embarrassing.

...it, er, definitely is now...
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Here's what I got out of this interview:

"You aren't allowed to sell merchandise you made yourself, even though every single thing out there on the market has been made by somebody."

"You aren't allowed to make or show AMV's despite the fact that you ripped the source material from a DVD you legitimately purchased, and even though it's not a whole episode, and the fact that tying an english song with an anime actually helps get new people into the anime fandom."

"If you can't determine who committed the violation of illegally downloading, I'll sue everybody in the house. Even your 3 month old baby sister."

This guy is full of BS, and really needs to have his lawyer's license revoked, possibly serving jail time for taking up the court's time suing innocent people.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
mrsatan wrote:

That's what I'm thinking too. People only download something that is available on their region if there is a higher quality file that exists somewhere.

In the case of the crunchyroll rips, sometimes people download them because they aren't subscribers, and thus would have to wait a week before watching the shows otherwise. Plus the rips have no ads, and are based on the highest quality version crunchyroll has available (which free viewers often can't watch, I believe).

EDIT:
@jmaeshawn

You misunderstood the part about amvs, the guy was actually implying he views them as fair use. Also, when did he mention selling stuff other than bootleg material?

But yah, not a fan of some of his other sueing practices.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
"If you can't determine who committed the violation of illegally downloading, I'll sue everybody in the house. Even your 3 month old baby sister."

Animals will probably be included too considering most people consider their pets as part of their family. So you'd be extra screwed then. Rolling Eyes

This guy sounds like such a tool in his interview.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
Here's what I got out of this interview:

"You aren't allowed to sell merchandise you made yourself, even though every single thing out there on the market has been made by somebody."

"You aren't allowed to make or show AMV's despite the fact that you ripped the source material from a DVD you legitimately purchased, and even though it's not a whole episode, and the fact that tying an english song with an anime actually helps get new people into the anime fandom."

This guy is full of BS, and really needs to have his lawyer's license revoked, possibly serving jail time for taking up the court's time suing innocent people.

Are you sure you read this article? He clearly says that AMVs are fine because of fair use.

As for selling stuff you made, when "everything has been made by somebody"... I'm not even sure what that means. Are you suggesting that I should legally be able to, say, plaster a photograph of Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter on a t-shirt, print HARRY POTTER on it, and sell it in a store? Because uh, no, that's not how copyrights work, whether you like it or not.

And as for the blanket suits... well, yeah, that seems to be how they work Laughing
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I can definitely see where he's coming from and he has several good points and several points I'd deem a too harsh. It's hard to say how far you can go before its too aggressive but still effective for protecting your property.

Although, if you're a person that pirates alot of course you're gonna blast him and says he's full of BS. Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:

As for selling stuff you made, when "everything has been made by somebody"... I'm not even sure what that means. Are you suggesting that I should legally be able to, say, plaster a photograph of Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter on a t-shirt, print HARRY POTTER on it, and sell it in a store? Because uh, no, that's not how copyrights work, whether you like it or not.

That line of reasoning always baffled me.

"I'm such a huge fan of Fullmetal Alchemist that I should be entitled to profit from the sale of bootleg merchandise I made myself!"
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Saturn"]
jmaeshawn wrote:

Are you sure you read this article? He clearly says that AMVs are fine because of fair use.

I just reread the article to be sure, and I don't see any place where he specifically says AMVs are fair use. I see:

"We're always a little more relaxed with streaming stuff because there's so much fair use. Like all the AMVs, you see AMVs on streaming sites, you don't see them on RapidShare. RapidShare uploaders, we're going to start prosecuting."

He's basically saying the only reason that they aren't prosecuting AMV makers is because the AMV is on Youtube or other streaming sites.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like if the exact same AMV was on a torrent or rapidshare (or any other downloading site) instead of streaming, he would sue them for making and uploading it.

Jrittmayer wrote:
Although, if you're a person that pirates alot of course you're gonna blast him and says he's full of BS. Laughing

I'm not a pirate, I just really dislike lawyers and their faulty legal practices.

Zac wrote:

That line of reasoning always baffled me.

"I'm such a huge fan of Fullmetal Alchemist that I should be entitled to profit from the sale of bootleg merchandise I made myself!"

That's what I'm saying. I'm saying it's wrong to sell, to borrow your example, a T-shirt of Edward Elric in order to make a profit but I think it should be fine to sell only to compensate yourself for the materials of making it. (For example, cost of T-shirt and ink)

Last edited by jmaeshawn on Mon May 09, 2011 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They don't want their subscribers to think that they can get sued, because how many people are still gonna pay 53 bucks a month for broadband if they know they're restricted to 100% legitimate activity? That's kind of how I look at it. I mean, most people will. I think roughly 5-10% of their users would say "look, if I can't pirate movies and music, there's no way I'm going to pay fifty bucks." They don't want to lose customers, they don't want their customers sued.

This is the only part I disagreed with (I'm all for going after the 3-month olds if it get's them to stop before they get a taste for the stolen booty.) It's likely not an issue of legitimacy, as providers would love for users to stop burning up the lines with this junk (particularly those barely willing to pay $53/month when they could be paying hundreds,) so much as it is one of straight-up privacy. If Provider-A sells them out as visiting site-1, would they also be willing to "blab" about sites 2-6? What about site-X? That's where the droves start appearing, when folks think someone is watching over their shoulder for moral reasons.

Then again, here's a thought: you've just been caught pirating, two red hands in the cookie jar with fingerprints in the chocolate chips guilty. Would you rather (A) the right's-holders have a quick, easy, efficient way of bringing things to a conclusion or (B) really piss off their attorneys, make them spend a lot of time, money, and effort while they are deciding how much blood they are out for and/or if they are willing to settle?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
[
I just reread the article to be sure, and I don't see any place where he specifically says AMVs are fair use. I see:

"We're always a little more relaxed with streaming stuff because there's so much fair use. Like all the AMVs, you see AMVs on streaming sites, you don't see them on RapidShare. RapidShare uploaders, we're going to start prosecuting."

He's basically saying the only reason that they aren't prosecuting AMV makers is because the AMV is on Youtube or other streaming sites.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like if the exact same AMV was on a torrent or rapidshare (or any other downloading site) instead of streaming, he would sue them for making and uploading it.

I bolded a part of what you yourself quoted. He mentioned streaming sites having a lot of AMVs, than follows that with "Like all the amvs." In other words, he was giving an example of fair use. He mentioned that you don't see amvs on file sharing sites as an example of how those sites don't have much fair use.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4