• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Picks up Bleach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IluvZem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:54 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Cleanup in Aisle 5. We just had a massive fangasm for [as] picking up Bleach.

I would have never have guessed what the fans wanted would actually happen. That's really strange.

OMG a fangasm what an awesome word!
barfing_bunnies

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
ThirdWizard wrote:
This just came to me, but Yuri Lowenthal should totally do Ishida's voice. That would just be too cool. Wink

Not sure if that is possible, because I'm not up on my who can work with who, but it would still be cool!

That's who I had in mind for Ishida, I still think Steve Blum would be great for Ichigo. I think Colleen Clinkenbeard would do well as Rukia also, I haven't really made up my mind on the others though.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
There's no less of sexual content in Bleach than there is in Naruto. Naruto has a 12 year old boy transform into a full grown naked woman in order to defeat his rivals and to get lee-way with his perverted old teacher.
Pale Horse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
vickeyv wrote:
It recenlty became common news that Samurai Champloon is making $0 profit off its stint on CN, after it was disclosed on Ansmwer manz cloumn.

Is this what you mean?

Answerman Mar 9, 2006 wrote:
Samurai Champloo on Cartoon Network isn't generating any profit by airing on TV; in essence, the TV run is a promotional tool to help bolster DVD sales, which once again illustrates my point.

because if it is, you've really read it wrong.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means..."

It was an example to illustrate how profitting from anime works. Unless there is some really unique arrangement going on (and as much as I love Champloo, it's not the 800 lbs. gorilla that, say, FRIENDS is) CN makes its money from the advertising it sells during the airing of the show. The distributor (licensor, studio, what have you) pays them to air it (like commercial time, but much, much bigger) to sell DVD's, and hopefully related merchandise. The standard modern economic model of content: Content = Advertisement for Merchandising.

vickeyv wrote:
CN airs commercials on Samurai Champloon right, so it sorta makes bully money off it. Since its got so much range it gets a show off with peanuts and makes cash off it. This isn't the case with Naruto and Bleach right. Viz didn't give CN rights to it just like that did they?

That's exactly how it works. Of course, it could be that as the popularity of Anime and the skill at marketing at Viz increases (and recent deals and marketing moves certainly have plugged them into a "deep pockets" backer and more cohesive marketing campaign planning) that studios can start demanding cash instead for CN's ability to air a show. And maybe, for Viz, that time is closer than for others (watch them hock their wares at recent big TV and toy conventions) but it isn't soon. The market isn't that mature or stable. It may never be, but it is better.

In short, unless you have actual evidence of Samurai Champloo losing money due to TV exposure, and not a misleading misreading of Answerman, I'm going with the convemtional wisdom.

TV exposure = more fans = more DVD sales.

If it doesn't equal that for Samurai Champloo, I'm sure there are other factors involved (such as unusual or particularly demanding Licensing terms). But I've seen no reason to believe Champloo is doing well. Maybe not spectacular (as shows like FMA and Naruto have pushed the bar pretty high, thanks to their airing on CN), but certainly enough that no Geneon exec is being ordered to commit sepukku over it.

Wow, 1st post, and I probably come off being a bit jerkish. Sorry about that, but facts is facts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7