• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 2.22 Runs on Adult Swim's Toonami Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
The license for End of Eva is *ridiculously expensive*, but people would actually pay for it - that, and as ANNcast has pointed out, the original Manga release was infamously one of the worst DVD releases ever made.

It seems at least possible that now that the Rebuild Movies are the Eva du jour, maybe there's some downward pressure on the licensing fee for EoE. Or, maybe Funi could leverage whatever exorbitant fee they agreed to for 3.0 into some favorable terms for an EoE license. It's not an outrageous hypothesis.

RogueJedi86 wrote:
Whatever the surprise is, it has to be taken into account that the schedule lists it as being 15 minutes long, and it reruns later that night. You can't draw out a "3.33 is being dubbed!" into 15 minutes.

I just checked the cable listings. After the 15 minute surprise, there's an episode of Clone Wars, and then the surprise special is apparently airing three times back to back. I disagree though that a trailer couldn't be a 15 minute spot. Throw out the announcement, plug the other Rebuild releases, show the first 10 minutes of 3.0, finish with the release date.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Whatever the surprise is, it has to be taken into account that the schedule lists it as being 15 minutes long, and it reruns later that night. You can't draw out a "3.33 is being dubbed!" into 15 minutes.

I just checked the cable listings. After the 15 minute surprise, there's an episode of Clone Wars, and then the surprise special is apparently airing three times back to back. I disagree though that a trailer couldn't be a 15 minute spot. Throw out the announcement, plug the other Rebuild releases, show the first 10 minutes of 3.0, finish with the release date.

Maybe it depends on the tv provider. After the Surprise for me is the TCW episode too, but then Big O and the Surprise reruns and then we're back to a typical non-quarter-hour slot, with FMAB and Bebop and InuYasha finishing the night as normal. That's my DISH Network listing.

This also lines up with the tumblr's posting of the schedule from last week. So it's a mystery to us all. I can't wait!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I think the surprise could be an episode or two of Hetalia.

Too bad it isn't a longer slot for an episode of FLCL or Gurren Lagann.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:

EDIT: What RogueJedi86 said.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
I think the surprise could be an episode or two of Hetalia.

Too bad it isn't a longer slot for an episode of FLCL or Gurren Lagann.

Wish it was Gurren Lagann. That show is awesome and the dub is good.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann aired on SyFy years ago. I don't know if Toonami would pick it up, considering that. They've never aired an anime that premiered on another network before have they? Plus I don't know if the rights to it would be via Bandai or Manga Entertainment, since Manga covered everything aired on SyFy.

I'd like to see it again, but SyFy's having aired it before might make that difficult. I don't know the situation there. And in the tumblr Q&A today, they said Panty & Stocking is a no-go too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TrueSkin1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to guess it's 15 minute segment of a Dragon Ball Z look back on how much of an impact it was for Toonami and how much it affected so many young viewers in the 90's.

THEN BOOM! Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods announcement! Very Happy
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Gurren Lagann aired on SyFy years ago. I don't know if Toonami would pick it up, considering that. They've never aired an anime that premiered on another network before have they? Plus I don't know if the rights to it would be via Bandai or Manga Entertainment, since Manga covered everything aired on SyFy.

I'd like to see it again, but SyFy's having aired it before might make that difficult. I don't know the situation there. And in the tumblr Q&A today, they said Panty & Stocking is a no-go too.

DBZ Kai has aired on both Nicktoons and the CW. Some Miyazaki films have aired on both Toonami and TCM.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Gurren Lagann aired on SyFy years ago. I don't know if Toonami would pick it up, considering that. They've never aired an anime that premiered on another network before have they?

They aired Samurai 7 which I recalled aired on the IFC network years ago.

Also, just a suggestion. Why don't we keep open the possibility that the surprise special may not be anime at all? It could be, but then again, maybe it's not. It could also for all we know be something that up until now has only been released or talked about being made or funded on the internet.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun: Toonami's definitely ruled out DBZ Kai, even when people mention CW and Nicktoons. Today they even said the CW's deal is something else entirely to get DBZ Kai. TCM is owned by the same people who own CN. SyFy and AS both aired the Read Or Die OVA, but AS aired it first, so it's not quite an example.

I'd love if Toonami would air some of SyFy's anime. I loved Gundam 00 and Noein. SyFy aired some crappy anime, but they also aired several gems.

Hypeathon: I forgot about that. I never saw Samurai 7 on IFC, but I remember it airing. If we go into IFC's anime, I'd love to rewatch the ones they aired. I saw Hell Girl, Speed Grapher, Witchblade, and Gunslinger Girl on there. I'd love to see any of them on Toonami, though a few of them have some edgier things Toonami probably couldn't show, Witchblade and Speed Grapher in particular. I could always hold out hope for Hell Girl and Gunslinger Girl I suppose.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Here's Eva 2.22's full Toonami promo, for those that haven't seen it yet.

It actually might be a good idea to add this to the article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIDurvdZomU

But FYI, the PG rating is a mistake, before people start whining about heavy censorship. The promo has since re-aired with a TV-14 rating.
michaelarroyo01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
The surprise might be some kind of video about how TOM 3.5 became TOM 5. They were going to make a webcomic about it, but maybe they decided to go bigger.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I'd love if Toonami would air some of SyFy's anime. I loved Gundam 00 and Noein. SyFy aired some crappy anime, but they also aired several gems.

SyFy also aired Rave Master which first aired on Toonami.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
michaelarroyo01 wrote:
The surprise might be some kind of video about how TOM 3.5 became TOM 5. They were going to make a webcomic about it, but maybe they decided to go bigger.

Jason DeMarco's hospitalization and recovery a little while back put the comic on hold and they're currently far from done.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Is this better than the TV series or just as bad? Somebody with any recommendations. Because if it's not, I ain't watching it with the kids and/or wife. I hated Eva back in 1996 and I still harbor hate. I never attempted to watch this, because it's Evangelion, the most overrated and LAME mecha franchise of all time.

Imo, both tv series and the movies are equal, both have flaws and good points. But if you didn't enjoy the show before, chances are you might not enjoy it if you plan the watch the Rebuilds solely. But if you're willing to try it again, its best to watch the tv series then EoE before watching the Rebuilds. Death and Rebirth is skippable, first half is a huge recap and the second half is first half of the EoE film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7