• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 2.22 Runs on Adult Swim's Toonami Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Sigh now it the internet to watch a movie
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
It'd be awesome if the surprise was Funimation announcing they were dubbing 3.33 and provided a release date.

Hey, a guy can dream!

Actually, I was assuming that was a given, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic. A license rescue of the Evangelion TV series perhaps? A re-issue/rescue of End of Evangelion that actually looks decent? I don't really keep up with the minutiae of who owns what license but I am under the impression that those licenses to ADV/Sentai/23 and Manga/Starz respectively have expired.

As much as I would love a license rescue for Eva, and especially EoE, that's not gonna happen until Gainax reissues the whole series on Blu-Ray, and that's not gonna happen until Rebuild is over.

An announcement/preview for 3.33's dub seems way more likely. Maybe it'll debut on Toonami before its retail release? That'd be a pretty clever and mutually beneficial move on the part of Funimation & Cartoon Network. Not sure I could tolerate watching it for the first time with commercial breaks and FCC censorship, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
To the people honestly thinking it's an announcement relating to Eva 3.0 or something else Funimation-related, I just want to ask why would a company spend 10-15 minutes announcing a release date or a dub cast or anything on late-night TV cable TV?

Let's say for a moment it really was going to be an announcement for something. I can't think of a dub cast, broadcast, or DVD/Blu-ray release date announcment for any show/film from any company at any convention that lasted for 15 minutes or needed to for that matter. Even that Sword Art Online Toonami announcement at Anime Boston was only 20 seconds.

I'm not saying people don't have the right to guess. That said, I'm admittedly surprised there are as many people guessing this and thus I can't help but wonder where this is coming from.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Unless the surprise is redoing 3.0 so that it isn't a waste of time, I'm not interested.

Oh, and 2.22 is great, but I'm not keen on watching it dubbed. Tiffany Grant's Asuka makes me vomit a little in my mouth still, even if she has improved an iota.

Watching 2.22 gave me hope that Anno had grown as a director and a person, and then I saw the plot summary of 3.0, and Mecha-Shiva and just said "woops, guess he hasn't"

I just look at the things added in 3.0 and it just all comes off like setup for Super Robot Wars.

"Mari may not have a point in the movies, but just wait until Super Robot Wars gives her really cool attack moves. "

"Misato's role in the third movie makes no sense when you look at the ending of the second movie but now she's going to have a much bigger role in Super Robot Wars since she can take Marrue Ramius and Bright Noa's role as leader of the good guys"
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I wish IFC would bring back anime to it's schedule I messed a episode of Speed Grapher and they didn't censor like SyFy and Cartoon Network do.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
No goofy German accent this time around

Sad

I miss the 90s
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vapors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Will DVR tonight. I just saw 3.0 at JX and I have was trying to jog my memory on events that happened in 2.22 that led to 3.0, so this will probably clear up some of my confusion.

As for the special, I guess here are a few of my guesses and their likelihood of occurrence.

Most likely - Funi will promote their upcoming 3.0 release.

Likely - Interview with English VAs and production staff.

Maybe - Interview/message with Anno and Studio Khara production staff

Maybe - Retrospective/mini documentary on Eva, its impact on anime, series summary, etc

Less Likely - Show an extended scene (like the beginning part) of Eva 3.0.

Total Troll - They show Eva 3.0 on speed up, starting from the end and going backwards.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:
Maybe - Interview/message with Anno and Studio Khara production staff

No way. This would be amazing but no [expletive] way.

Vapors wrote:
Maybe - Retrospective/mini documentary on Eva, its impact on anime, series summary, etc

This'd be neat but I wouldn't hold my breath, especially since Funination doesn't hold the rights to any of the footage from the original series.

Vapors wrote:
Less Likely - Show an extended scene (like the beginning part) of Eva 3.0.

I'd actually say there's a reasonable chance of this.

Vapors wrote:
Total Troll - They show Eva 3.0 on speed up, starting from the end and going backwards.

Only the legendary Adult Swim of the mid-2000s would have the balls to do this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Watching 2.22 gave me hope that Anno had grown as a director and a person, and then I saw the plot summary of 3.0, and Mecha-Shiva and just said "woops, guess he hasn't"

I just look at the things added in 3.0 and it just all comes off like setup for Super Robot Wars.

The problem was that most of the movie had no character development outside of Shinji whatsoever and 80 percent of the dialogue was technobabble (as opposed to the usual 60).

Asuka has only a few lines, Mari is still a pointless character (in fact, she did more in 2.22), Misato might as well not be in the movie, and worse, no Pen Pen!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Toonami is airing Mad Bull 34.
GYRAX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:

That would be awesome. :3
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
p3rseus wrote:
Good thing they went with 2.22, the third movie was pretty terrible. Surprising given how good the first two movie were.

That seems an odd remark. Of course they'd air 2.22 instead of 3.33. They can't just skip the second movie to air the third. In time they can air the third too. You have to air the second before you air the third. Smile You're not wrong at least, on it being good that they went with 2.22, I suppose. Razz
It's prob going to be {AS} saying anime is T suck or some crap:P no but {AS dose love to show there hate} my guess Tom talking about new stuff comeing shows events idk
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The "Surprise" has me intrigued. What could it be?

Kick-Heart? A pilot? Some CG? Tell me.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
GYRAX wrote:
Running Wild wrote:

That would be awesome. :3

That would be unrecognizable on basic cable.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
p3rseus wrote:
Good thing they went with 2.22, the third movie was pretty terrible. Surprising given how good the first two movie were.

I'd actually really disagree.

I liked the first film but it was NOTHING but a retread of things we've already seen.

The second movie wasn't much better. At least until the point where things start to mix up spoiler[ Like Asuka being in 04 instead of Touji and the ending. ]

I loved the third movie. Sure, I can see why people wouldn't but damn, if it wasn't what I wanted from Rebuild in the first place aka a completely different take on it. If I wanted to watch Eva TV, I'd just watch Eva TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7