• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 2.22 Runs on Adult Swim's Toonami Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

I didn't know cable was supposed to mean less commercials since you pay for it, but it makes sense now that you mention it. Now I wish there were less commercials on cable, knowing the fact. I'll adjust, but that was an interesting fact.

Though now with hundreds more channels, despite the higher cable charges, per channel they're paid less, so they make it up with commercials.

But most people don't really watch most other channels, though they may like the option to have 'em just in case. Wonder if people would be more willing to pay more per channel (how much more) a la carte (instead of the package deals cable offers) in exchange for less or no commercials. Wonder if it's financially feasible for cable companies to implement an a la carte system in addition to the fewer simpler package deals.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Wonder if it's financially feasible for cable companies to implement an a la carte system in addition to the fewer simpler package deals.

Depends on who you ask. The FCC released a couple of reports on the topic, and Senator John McCain (R-AZ) has pressed the FCC to require some type of a-la-carte system for a decade. He and Connecticut Democrat Richard Blumenthal recently co-sponsored a bill to prohibit bundling that will probably go nowhere for reasons described in the article cited below.

If you want some insight into the political economy of American cable television, read this recent piece from the New York Times on how bundling of ESPN has made Disney a fortune over the years: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/27/sports/ncaafootball/to-defend-its-empire-espn-stays-on-offensive.html

The average cable operator pays ESPN nearly six dollars per subscriber per month to carry the channel. That's about five times as much as the next most expensive channel, TNT. Who do you suppose is paying those millions of dollars to people like A-Rod and football conferences like the SEC?
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Depends on who you ask. The FCC released a couple of reports on the topic, and Senator John McCain (R-AZ) has pressed the FCC to require some type of a-la-carte system for a decade. He and Connecticut Democrat Richard Blumenthal recently co-sponsored a bill to prohibit bundling that will probably go nowhere for reasons described in the article cited below.

That's a tricky issue. I'd love to see a la carte cable, but at the same time, I don't think it's the government's place to ram it down the cable companies' throats (although of course, if it wasn't for the massive bureaucracy which basically awards the cable giants a monopoly, we probably would have had a la carte cable long ago).

I have high hopes that as cable companies see their subscribers dwindling and fleeing to streaming services, we may see such a model emerge. The gravy train for some of these second-rate networks who only continue to exist because they're lucky enough to get bundled with ESPN would be over in that case. How many people would really pay even $0.50 a month for Esquire TV (or any of a few dozen of the other similarly crappy cable networks)?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I'd want to make sure of in a la carte is simplistic addition and subtraction of channels whenever you feel like it, for at least a month at a time. If I had to choose today, I'm sure I'd miss a few channels, so it'd be nice to back and alter my plan precisely, though as it stands, I can probably get by with less than 15.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed that ANN didn't update the article to tell us what the promised "surprise" was. Digging through this gargantuan thread (which might be the second lengthiest, after the Vic podcast, in a while lol) I believe I saw that the surprise was something called "kick heart", a property of which I hadn't heard before. If that's true then I guess I'm surprised; I'm not, however, impressed (though that wasn't promised lol).

Regardless, ANN ought to update the article so those of us who didn't watch this on TV (I have the BD so why would I...) can keep up with the anime news. Wink
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Regardless, ANN ought to update the article so those of us who didn't watch this on TV (I have the BD so why would I...) can keep up with the anime news. Wink

They did a follow up article here. So yeah, they technically did say what it was.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

They did a follow up article here. So yeah, they technically did say what it was.

That still doesn't really excuse not updating this article. ANN has updated articles in the past.

The headline for that article also doesn't make it clear that the article it links to is about the surprise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7