• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BONES Animates Noragami With Cowboy Bebop's Kawamoto

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Still wondering what that 'Familiar title' they have been working on is.

Me too. I hope its Darker Than Black Season 3, but somehow/someway done done [expletive] right to please the audience.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Geez, was there ever this amount of complaining when he also did character designs for Gosick?

If there wasn't, there should have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Still wondering what that 'Familiar title' they have been working on is.

Me too. I hope its Darker Than Black Season 3, but somehow/someway done done [expletive] right to please the audience.

"Pleasing the audience" would be to make it more like DtB2, since that one sold far better in Japan than the first season.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Geez, was there ever this amount of complaining when he also did character designs for Gosick?

Stop being such a snob. He doesn't have to draw in the same style every time and this is especially true when he has an original source to stick too. In this case the characters look like they do in the manga so I have no issue with these designs.

As much as I don't particularly care for BONES I do like this series so I look forward to the anime!
Kreion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Stop being such a snob. He doesn't have to draw in the same style every time and this is especially true when he has an original source to stick too. In this case the characters look like they do in the manga so I have no issue with these designs.

As much as I don't particularly care for BONES I do like this series so I look forward to the anime!
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
That's Kawamoto? Are you sure?

I've never heard of this series and only came because I heard Kawamoto be mentioned. The staff looks pretty strong and good, but not knowing what the acctual series is like leaves me a bit concer-

Ok seriously did Kawamoto REALLY design that? I just can't buy it! Confused
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Why would you hire Kawamoto in the first place and then tell him to draw in some generic style? Get one of the hundreds of hack artists working as character designers in anime now to do it. Is Kawamoto that hard up? Kawamoto is better than this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
traveling

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The show sounds like it has a lot of potential with some pretty great people working on it, but I hope that those aren't the final character designs when it premiers. Those are some of the most basic designs I've ever seen.
raspberrydream

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

His designs for Gosick weren't entirely faithful to the original designs in the light novels, though. Victorique looked mostly like herself (kinda hard to mess with the basic design of a wide-faced blond loli with a hime cut, I suppose), but the male characters were different. I did read some complaints because his design for Kujo looked several years older than how he originally looked. But I didn't see much complaining in English-language forums, maybe because so few had read the novels when the anime first aired.

But I don't mind his changes to Kujo, since his anime personality is so different from the novels that he might as well be a different character anyway.
aoi yuuki fanboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote
ANN, please stop reminding me Alive will never have an anime. Sad
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Only reason people are complaining is because ANN titled the article saying "With Cowboy Bebop's Kawamoto". I guarantee if they didn't have that in the title and only mentioned his name in the article no one would have cared.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
Only reason people are complaining is because ANN titled the article saying "With Cowboy Bebop's Kawamoto". I guarantee if they didn't have that in the title and only mentioned his name in the article no one would have cared.

I kinda thought the title of the article was just a way to draw hits, anyway. Character designers for adaptions are never really too significant since they are dime a dozen. Their job is just to take the preexisting designs and make them into anime. The character designers who actually matter are for original anime or for the manga/LN/VNs themselves.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
And we saw what happened with Aku no Hana when you ignore the original source materials art style and do your own thing... the fans of the original manga will NOT be happy. Its best to not to do your own thing after how that ended up and just go with how the original art looks.

Aku no Hana is an anomaly, so it doesn't really count. At all. Loads of people have made different designs for Motoko of Ghost in the Shell fame. Not a single one looks like shit. They arguably are better than Shiro's designs. The "original" looks like crap, so a newer, fresher look will improve them. Again, this is the guy who drew the character designs for this franchise.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8497/8440897420_e4199c3ace.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVY0jfR7px9dYxlXZ8J8gWjDl4QQs9tgTcpFF7t1iZ147-_5rc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2